U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 AM

1,103 posts, read 607,101 times

Advertisements

Ill make this as to the point as possible.
Back in November, I was deadlifiting and idk how but I pulled a muscle on the left side of my back. Iced it rest it, NSAIDs you name it I did it. Eventually I had a focal point of muscle strain that was located near the upper gluteal area were my back and buttocks meet. It felt tight and my lower left side of my back was still tight.

Kept resting NSAIDs yada yada. I eventually went to the doc, and told me to keep doing what I do. In January, I had two severe muscle spasms that effected the left side of my back. I could not move for hours with out being in excruciating pain. Luckily I have a friend who is a nurse and she came over the second time it happened. The gluteal area that I said was the focal point of my strain, she told me that it was just one giant knot and that my back looked uneven on the left side due to my muscles being so tight. Any how, went back to my doc again and told him what happened. I had xrays done to see if I did anything to my back. Nothing, he says just keep resting and icing.

Next thing you know, I start developing a poping sensation on my left hip and leg. I go back to my doc, get refered to an ortho doc, get and MRI done and its cleared that its not my hip. I still have poping. After doing some research, I believe what I have is IT band syndrome, which is basically my IT band in my leg is slipping over a bone in my leg or hip. The poping is less severe now but now I have other issues.

Now for the past 8 weeks, my entire left leg (more towards the outside of my leg) is having dual and achy pain. t also feels cramped. Its not excruciating but its still is bothering me and its not going away. As stated before, I can feel that the pain is originating from my left gluteal area. Im supposed to see a pain doc to hopefully get referred to a neuro doc. But guys, if any of you have any idea as to what might be causing the gluteal pain, which I believe is causing my achy pain in my leg, any suggestions is helpful. I have never had an injury last this long and I am starting to get worried about it. Any info is greatly appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:02 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,106,816 times
This sounds pretty typical for a soft tissue injury.

Have you tried a good massage therapist yet? I've been to two over the years that I felt were amazing--1)was a chiropractor that did massage on the side and 2)was a former teacher at a massage school. Both were employees at different Massage Envy locations which had about 20 massage therapists on staff, and these were considered the ones to go to for actual medical issues. I'm not a fan of chiropractor's doing adjustments, btw...

I was in a car accident many years ago and was wearing the top part of my seat belt, but not the lower since it wasn't automatic. My lower body slid forward and I severely strained that same part of my lower back you're describing. After a year in physical therapy, along with various meds, I found a new pt that helped get me back to functioning level within a few weeks with a combo of stretching and massage.

Many years later I ended up with various soft tissue issues in my back that will likely be ongoing due to a rare neuropathic pain disorder--my back isn't my biggest health issue, but when it flairs, it can be miserable. I continue to use the stretching technique that the pt taught me from when I was younger, along with a whole host of strategies.

Try taking hot baths with Epsom Salts twice a day. Then learn how to stretch out your lower back with a good physical therapist. I was taught to put one leg up on a surface about half way between hip length and knee length, and to step back as far as possible and then lean forward to stretch out my lower back. I'm not sure this is the best explanation...so please ask a pt. I would go for a massage at least 3 times per week. Next, try a very gentle low impact yoga class or personal instruction. (Tai Chi might be another alternative.) If you can find an infrared sauna, go as often as possible, preferably before the massage. Also, if you can swim in a warm pool, do so as often as possible. I'd try foregoing the ice during this period.

The pain meds will only mask the problem, so try and use as sparingly as possible. If your doctor is willing to start you on a course of steroids, that might be a good idea. I do a couple a year as needed. When I've had spasms over the years, my doc has given me trigger point injections, and they were a tremendous help, to calm everything down!

Consider switching to a diet that will not be as likely to cause swelling. I've found that the Paleo method helps me--check out the free info in the forums at Marksdailyapple.com for example. It will likely be completely different than what you currently eat, but I have chronic swelling and food does make a major difference.

Hopefully, you have a soft tissue injury that can be resolved quickly! If you do need more intensive intervention, get a second and third opinion before attempting surgery--and do them in a different city so that the docs aren't cronies that will rubber stamp what the other says.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 AM

41,332 posts, read 52,492,875 times
Maybe a visit to a chiropractor and get a spinal alignment. Otherwise I have no idea.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 PM

2,091 posts, read 6,752,413 times
Did you get an MRI done on your spine? Sounds like my bulging disc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness