Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 PM
 
5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Reputation: 14170

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I have an auto immune disease myself so I know what it's like and I have many food allergies so I know exactly what it's like to live on a restricted diet. I also have fibromyalgia which was caused by a virus and have actually had people tell me I need to exercise! As if that would help. As if I am ABLE to exercise. So I understand how it is to be mis-understood and blamed for not getting better. If only it were that easy.

Nope, I'm not a medical person at all. I simply said that I've seen many cases of a person with RA getting relief by cutting certain foods out of their diets. My own uncle would have had no reason to lie about ridding himself of RA by cutting citrus fruits out and my mother, well we all saw her hands go back to normal and then get swollen up again when she went off and back on potatoes. I've known quite a few people with RA who did get some relief from change of diet but of course it won't work for everyone. Nobody ever said that.

You can call things myths just because there's no scientific study that's proven it yet but in some cases, people have been helped. Many if not most people will not be helped but I do think a change of diet can help some people.
You say there have been no scientific studies proving a connection between night shade vegetables and RA YET....however the opposing view has been proven, there have been studies showing NO LINK...therefore, it is a MYTH.....

You also state you have seen MANY cases of RA getting better with dietary changes yet you mention only 2...

I am a medical person, I do deal with arthritis patients everyday, and I have YET to see anyones' RA cured by dietary changes....

I would also love to see those before and after pictures of your mother's hands going "back to normal" after dietary changes...

The typical hand changes associated with RA such as ulnar drift, swan neck deformities and Heberden's nodes are IRREVERSIBLE without surgery....there is no "going back to normal" once those deformities occur....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM
 
Location: near bears but at least no snakes
26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Reputation: 50525
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You say there have been no scientific studies proving a connection between night shade vegetables and RA YET....however the opposing view has been proven, there have been studies showing NO LINK...therefore, it is a MYTH.....

You also state you have seen MANY cases of RA getting better with dietary changes yet you mention only 2...

I am a medical person, I do deal with arthritis patients everyday, and I have YET to see anyones' RA cured by dietary changes....

I would also love to see those before and after pictures of your mother's hands going "back to normal" after dietary changes...

The typical hand changes associated with RA such as ulnar drift, swan neck deformities and Heberden's nodes are IRREVERSIBLE without surgery....there is no "going back to normal" once those deformities occur....
I did not take photographs of my mother's hands so no matter if you would love to see them or not, you're not going to be able to. Really, I'm just making it all up. All the other people who told me of dietary changes helping their RA were liars too, I'm sure.

A myth is a story made up by the ancient Greeks or Romans, maybe the Vikings, I don't know. Hyperbole doesn't help your point of view though. I guess in this case it's a not very nice way of saying that my anecdotal evidence is archaic.

I do believe Harvard has done research on the value of diet in RA but, as I said, I am not a medical person, I am not that interested, and I was only offering what I thought were helpful suggestions based upon what people have told me first hand.

"Some people think food allergies may play a part in the inflammation common in RA, and say that their symptoms get worse after they eat certain foods." -- a snippet from The University of Maryland and An Apparent Relation of Nightshades (Solanaceae) to Arthritis -- I believe food allergies were the main cause of my mother's RA and her brother's as well. I have food allergies too so I probably inherited the tendency toward them. Other people whose RA was cured or helped by eliminating certain foods probably were allergic to certain foods too. It's different for everyone and not everyone has food allergies, obviously--food allergies cause inflammation.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 04:01 PM
 
10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Reputation: 17444
Ok, ladies, calm down!

This is a good thread, lets not get it closed!

I, for one, am gratful to find the link to the association to promote the name change of rheumatoid arthritis. I've had that opinion for years! I was first dx with RA when I was 21, by a rheumatologist. I was appalled to find many MD's didn't even know the difference between RA, OA and "grandma's arthritis". It created a great deal of misunderstanding, mistrust, stress, even hostility at the time. My parents turned to their trusted, highly respected family doctor for advice. He said oh, she's too young for "arthritis", the doctor who diagnosed it must be some sort of quack. The misunderstands and mistrust created a toxic environment between me and my family, which stood in the way of proper, agressive, early treatment. It extended to the point of abuse from my family, who were lead to believe I was somehow faking my symptoms.

The situation finally resolved, but not without a lot of unecessary pain in the process. I read that RA is a relatively common disease, and about half of all sufferers are dx under the age of 40. RA can occur in children as young as age 2! Ok, well, I trotted off to the medical profession, expecting to be treated like a patient with a condition. I expected diagnosis, treatment, and respectful treatment. Instead, I met with hostility, was psychologically abused, sent to counseling, and in general treated like some sort of nut case!

Finally, I referred myself to Univ of Michigan dept of rheumatology. I figured if that's what they do, they can't very well deny it! I finally started getting proper treatment, but only after about 5 years of pure #ell.

The sad truth is, many MD's don't understand much about the condition. Its amazing how they go on misconceptions, myths, half-truths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 04:04 PM
 
10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Reputation: 17444
Also, there is something to the dietary angle.

This happened years ago. I was feeling fine, went out to eat with friends. I had 4 bowls of tomato soup. It was homemade, with pureed tomatoes. By the time I came home, I had to be carried in, literally. My joints had swollen and locked!

There's some empirical evidence for the nightshade connection!

It doesn't cause RA, but it can exaceberate it!

I still eat some tomatoes, in salads, etc, but never again such a concentration of nightshades!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 04:08 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Reputation: 19814
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I did not take photographs of my mother's hands so no matter if you would love to see them or not, you're not going to be able to. Really, I'm just making it all up. All the other people who told me of dietary changes helping their RA were liars too, I'm sure.

A myth is a story made up by the ancient Greeks or Romans, maybe the Vikings, I don't know. Hyperbole doesn't help your point of view though. I guess in this case it's a not very nice way of saying that my anecdotal evidence is archaic.

I do believe Harvard has done research on the value of diet in RA but, as I said, I am not a medical person, I am not that interested, and I was only offering what I thought were helpful suggestions based upon what people have told me first hand.

"Some people think food allergies may play a part in the inflammation common in RA, and say that their symptoms get worse after they eat certain foods." -- a snippet from The University of Maryland and An Apparent Relation of Nightshades (Solanaceae) to Arthritis -- I believe food allergies were the main cause of my mother's RA and her brother's as well. I have food allergies too so I probably inherited the tendency toward them. Other people whose RA was cured or helped by eliminating certain foods probably were allergic to certain foods too. It's different for everyone and not everyone has food allergies, obviously--food allergies cause inflammation.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
I have food allergies as well as RA.

I am wondering if you are meaning that possibly some foods may exacerbate the symptoms of RA.

If I don't want my throat to close, I don't eat hazelnuts. My throat closes and I get hives and my eyes swell shut.

I know certain foods can be good/bad for different illnesses. I know for sure there is a huge list of foods MS sufferers should not eat. I have not ever heard of any foods curing these diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 07:48 PM
 
1,830 posts, read 6,153,250 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
If you have arthritis is there any benefit in nowing whether it's rheumatoid arthritis or not?

I have heard people say to find out which you have but are there different treatments etc.?

Thanks!

Good thread with some excellent posts. Are you on Medicare? The good thing about being diagnosed with RA these days (if there IS anything good about it) is that most rheumatologists will treat the disease aggressively with biologic drugs to slow the progression of the RA and prevent joint damage. 30 years ago all they did was give you steroids and antiflammatories. If you do have RA or a related disease for which the rheumatologist prescribes a biologic drug (ie., Remicade, Humira, Orencia, etc.) AND you have Medicare Part B, when drugs are administered by infusion IN the doctor's office, Medicare will pay for all or most of the cost of these very expensive drugs ($20K and up per year). Maybe Medicare only covers part, but having a Medicare supplement will cover the full cost in almost all cases. This info may be premature for you but good to know and it might help someone else here, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM
 
10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Reputation: 17444
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Also, there is something to the dietary angle.

This happened years ago. I was feeling fine, went out to eat with friends. I had 4 bowls of tomato soup. It was homemade, with pureed tomatoes. By the time I came home, I had to be carried in, literally. My joints had swollen and locked!

There's some empirical evidence for the nightshade connection!

It doesn't cause RA, but it can exaceberate it!

I still eat some tomatoes, in salads, etc, but never again such a concentration of nightshades!
Oh, BTW, at the time of the "tomato soup Incident" I was already dx with RA. The symptoms would come and go, but the tomato soup definitely flared it up that night.

I do get upset with diet advocates who proceed to eliminate just about every known edible food soouce! To just cut out entire food groups without hard evidence is irresponsible, IMO. I've been told to eliminate ALL dairy, wheat, red meat, fats, sugars----ummmm...WTH is left? How does one have a balanced, enjoyable, affordable diet when eliminating more foods than they eat?

But, there again, if you notice a relationship between a food and a symptom, well, then, don't eat it! That's a no-brainer! But don't use such to blame the victim. Well, Mary knows tomatoes affect her, and she had a slice of tomato on that sandwich, so, no wonder shes' in bad shape today----that is just piling on blame!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 AM
 
3,929 posts, read 2,952,776 times
Reputation: 6175
As someone who was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago, I have done much research to help me find some relief from the pain. I am NOT a doctor and I do not know everything about RA or the different arthritis problems. I only know what I experience myself and what things have helped me. That said, here is what I have discovered and believe to be true...


I do 100% believe that what I feed my body makes a difference in how I feel on a daily basis in regards to my RA. I find that when I cut out processed foods, sugar, certain foods such as tomatoes, citrus and starches my pain is less. While I do not think that the damage already done is reversible, I do feel that if I feed my body whole organic foods and drink water I can keep the pain at bay and I am able to do more things than being on a SAD diet.

I am one of those people who refuse to take "arthritis medications" because the side effects are far worse than what I feel I have to deal with. So I try to do the natural thing to help my condition. I understand that everyone handles their pain differently and some choose to take the medications prescribed by their rheumatologists, but I do not.

From the time I wake in the morning all stiff and in pain, it takes me about an hour before I completely loosen up and usually only after I have taken a hot shower to help. I work a very physical job and while it sometimes makes how I feel worse, I know that just sitting around NOT doing anything makes it even worse. I know there are many people out there who want to move and stay active and cannot, so please understand that I am not saying just move you will be fine...I get it. Trust me. This is just how I deal with my own pain.

There are days when I cannot even work a whole shift because of the pain in my arms and hands. I do a lot of lifting and moving and the strain on my joints can sometimes be so unbearable. I was practically in tears from the amount of pain I was experiencing. It didn't help that it was cold and rainy because that usually makes my symptoms worse.

I will always be a believer that what we put in our bodies makes a difference in our health. To those who refuse to believe in the food /disease connection, that is okay. To each their own. I've talked with many people who have changed their way of eating to discover that food is truly an amazing healer for many types of ailments and diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Reputation: 19814
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
As someone who was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago, I have done much research to help me find some relief from the pain. I am NOT a doctor and I do not know everything about RA or the different arthritis problems. I only know what I experience myself and what things have helped me. That said, here is what I have discovered and believe to be true...


I do 100% believe that what I feed my body makes a difference in how I feel on a daily basis in regards to my RA. I find that when I cut out processed foods, sugar, certain foods such as tomatoes, citrus and starches my pain is less. While I do not think that the damage already done is reversible, I do feel that if I feed my body whole organic foods and drink water I can keep the pain at bay and I am able to do more things than being on a SAD diet.

I am one of those people who refuse to take "arthritis medications" because the side effects are far worse than what I feel I have to deal with. So I try to do the natural thing to help my condition. I understand that everyone handles their pain differently and some choose to take the medications prescribed by their rheumatologists, but I do not.

From the time I wake in the morning all stiff and in pain, it takes me about an hour before I completely loosen up and usually only after I have taken a hot shower to help. I work a very physical job and while it sometimes makes how I feel worse, I know that just sitting around NOT doing anything makes it even worse. I know there are many people out there who want to move and stay active and cannot, so please understand that I am not saying just move you will be fine...I get it. Trust me. This is just how I deal with my own pain.

There are days when I cannot even work a whole shift because of the pain in my arms and hands. I do a lot of lifting and moving and the strain on my joints can sometimes be so unbearable. I was practically in tears from the amount of pain I was experiencing. It didn't help that it was cold and rainy because that usually makes my symptoms worse.

I will always be a believer that what we put in our bodies makes a difference in our health. To those who refuse to believe in the food /disease connection, that is okay. To each their own. I've talked with many people who have changed their way of eating to discover that food is truly an amazing healer for many types of ailments and diseases.
I agree with the fact that what we put in our bodies does make a difference, and that goes for anyone, RA or not.

One thing people need to understand is that RA is not "Arthritis in the hands." It is blanket statements like that that make the general public to think RA is just something like OA.

While it may affect the hands, people need to realize it can affect all joints of the body. It can affect our organs. It can make us predisposed to so many other health issues. We have to put toxins in our bodies in order to live half way normal lives.

Another huge misconception are the commercials on television. Humira, Enbrel, etc. They make it look like you take these drugs and you are perfect and back to normal and pain-free. Like you will be running or surfing, or whatever.

I have had RA for 8 years and it is not going anywhere. The foods I eat will make a difference in how I feel, of course. Put junk in, get junk out. Some foods can be inflammatory, so you must watch out for those.

There is no food out there that will cure RA. There is no cure for RA.

I cannot say this enough. Rheumatoid Arthritis is not your grandmothers arthritis....unless she had RA, of course.

I can't even count the amount of times I have had people say to me, "Oh, I have that too."

I am so sure you do. That's why you take chemotherapy and biologics every week. Oh wait. You don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 AM
JL
 
8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times
Reputation: 7936
My friend's mother has had rheumatoid arthritis for several years now. Recenty, she had lost some weight with excessive coughing along with loss appetite. He checked her in the hospital the two days ago. They ran some tests and cat scan, then found out she has a bacteria pneumonia, thus had to be hospitalized. They had to administer some antibiotics while there to get rid of it. The big concern was that they said her lungs have extensive scarring. She has pulmonary fibrosis which the pulmonologist believes is caused by rheumatoid arthritis. He said she would have to take prednisone to allow her to breathe as best as possible and prevent the scarring from going further. I think that the elderly(she is like 72yrs old) are more susceptible to pneumonia especially one that has rheumatoid arthritis since the immune system is whacked, thus chances of getting virus or bacteria is higher than usual. Am i wrong here? Has anyone here had the same condition? or know anyone who did? How did they go about dealing with this? Thanks.

Also, should she get the pneumonia vaccine? The hospital asked my friend if she wants to have the vaccine. One nurse said if you already had pneumonia, that it probably isn't needed, but i guess my friend will ask the pulmonologist, but the decision is still with his mom of course. Let me know from your experiences. Thanks again.

Last edited by JL; 07-03-2015 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top