Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,623,921 times

Advertisements

I can tell you from personal experience that going later is an insurance nightmare. I refused an ER trip after a relatively minor accident (not my fault). Two days later, I went to a walk-in clinic for what turned out to be a badly sprained wrist; the shock of the accident had dulled my mind (and maybe body) to the pain. They charged my regular health insurance instead of my auto insurance. Turned into a 5-yr nightmare trying to get the right insurance charged and then to release the regular health insurance from the claim. Every now and then a new charge would get denied b/c it was "on the auto insurance." How sleep apnea 5 yrs later was the accident's fault, I'll never know.

Leson learned: if the ambulance wants to take you to the hospital, go. It gets charged to your auto insurance, not your health insurance, and you get peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 PM

168 posts, read 313,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
A family member had a car accident, and didn't followup on it. Found out late about multiple fractures in the neck. In this instance, the bones had healed on their own.

But what if they hadn't?

Better to be safe than sorry. At least go to your own physician, your car insurance should cover the exam.
I'm currently resting to see if the back and neck discomfort will go away. It's mainly the bruises that hurt.

I don't have a physician nor insurance because I've never been to the doctor. I never bothered to get insurance even though I can pay for it.

My brother is trying to convince me to tell my father but the last time I seeked his advice he wasn't very helpful.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM

168 posts, read 313,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It sounds like you already made up your mind before you even posted, so I'm not sure why you posted?

Are you looking for a diagnosis on the internet? No one here can give you one. A doctor can. If you refuse to go to a doctor, there's really nothing anyone can do for you, because no one here has any possible way of knowing the extent of your injuries.
The problem is that I can't really take time off to go. Especially if you take into account that doctor's appointments usually get 2 hours late.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,257,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Well, I'm very adamant of not clogging up hospital's ERs. The cut in my arm still bleeds occasionaly, it was from the driver's window breaking but it seems clean. I move my neck as easily as possible, it feels like it's tired but not hurting.
hopefully you didn't suffer some sort of latent intracranial bleed and hopefully your tetanus immunizations are up-to-date.......the fact that you ignored the EMT's recommendations and come to a message board forum for medical advice is kind of scary, in my opinion. Good luck to you.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,257,144 times
PubMed Central, FIG. 1.: J Neurotrauma. 2012 January 1; 29(1): 19

Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,143,957 times
Years ago I was rear-ended and thought I suffered no injuries. A few days later, I was on a long, 2-day drive with my ex in his car, and my neck began to hurt. I thought it was being in the car looking out the window to the side so much, but after the trip, my neck still hurt, so I finally went to the doctor and he told me that whiplash can take several days to cause symptoms. In fact, HE was the one who asked if I'd been in an accident; I didn't bring it up because I didn't make the connection.

Whether you can take time to see a doctor or not, it's possible your symptoms are related to the accident even if you didn't notice them immediately.

Also, you're not doing your co-workers a favor to go to work when your sick with the flu. You may think you're being tough, but you could be infecting a lot of other people. Using work as an excuse not to seek medical care or stay home when you're ill is a cop-out.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,115,234 times
While I understand that your co-workers are depending on you, so you can't take the time to get checked.....I just have to ask.....what would they do if you just dropped dead one day? Isn't there anyone there that could keep things going?

If not, then you have an obligation to everyone there to train someone to step in and take over in case something ever happens to you.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,370,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
I had a pretty bad car crash a few days ago, the car was lost because the frontal section was gone. I called the police and they brough an ambulance with them.

I hit the head on the restraint, had about 6 or 7 bruises, several small cuts in my neck and a bigger cut in arm but felt fine. Therefore, I didn't go to the hospital even though the ambulance crew insisted with me for about an hour. They stayed until the car was removed but then I called my brother to pick me up.

The next day, however, I felt like I had been hit by a bulldozer. It was a huge sacrifice to get out of bed and I felt dizzy at work. I had to ask to leave earlier (I'll give them the extra hours later). While going down the stairs, it felt like I kept missing steps.

Apart from that, I feel fine though.
You made a foolish decision not to be checked out and only a real idiot would tell you otherwise.

Guess you've never heard of Natasha Richardson and other people who have died hours or days after seeming just fine when they hit their heads hard?

Natasha Richardson dies after ski fall - CNN.com

"She initially appeared fine and joked about the fall, but the ski patrol insisted she see a doctor. Richardson declined, the resort said in a statement Tuesday."

Natasha's lesson helps save Ohio girl - CNN.com

"For the next two days, she was perfectly fine," Donald McCracken says. "She had no symptoms. She went to school both days and got an A on her spelling test as usual. There were no issues whatsoever."

But after hearing about Richardson's death, the McCrackens wondered if Morgan was really as OK as she seemed. After all, Richardson had been talking and lucid immediately after her fatal injury."

Hope you are going to be okay, but if you get ANY more dizziness you should probably see a doctor immediately.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 PM

44,555 posts, read 61,283,437 times
OP how old are you. You must be very young as you're not taking any responsibility for your own health and welfare much less others in your life associated, especially those in contact with your flu. And down the line you may pay big time for it.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 AM

20,855 posts, read 28,185,423 times
You can pay for health insurance but chose not to get it??? Very odd. Never been to a doctor???? Goes to work with the flu so he can infect his co-workers. What kind of job do you have that makes it so demanding you can't even be out sick with the flu or a car accident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness