U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:34 AM

14,495 posts, read 24,260,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I am at that age and have had several of my doctors ask me what my plans are. I am not interested in taking estrogen or any other form of HRT until I can be very certain of its safety. Further, I am one year plus into menopause and have not experienced any of the typicial symptoms.

There is such controversy over this and doctors are equally divided on this topic. What are your experiences, recommendations, and thoughts?

Thank you!!!

There are alot of conflicting studies. My neighbor is a geriatric physician and advised his wife against HRT- I am not at the age yet, but I do know that some studies are still pending- and I will not be taking HRT, ever.

Also some hormones can cause blood clots and other complications- birth control even does this.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-04-2007 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 02:52 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,372,164 times
Like many of you I am opposed to taking medications that I don't need - I am almost a nut on this. You have confirmed my beliefs - no HRT for me.

Thank you!!!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,131,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I am at that age and have had several of my doctors ask me what my plans are. I am not interested in taking estrogen or any other form of HRT until I can be very certain of its safety. Further, I am one year plus into menopause and have not experienced any of the typicial symptoms.

There is such controversy over this and doctors are equally divided on this topic. What are your experiences, recommendations, and thoughts?

Thank you!!!
Right now they recommend that if you can avoid using HRT you do. If you choose to use it, do so at the lowest dose and a short period of time. There is no protection cardiac wise and possibly an increased risk of certain cancers with the use of them. The most problematic symptoms people usually complain of are hot flashes, insomnia and mood swings. Doctors are getting pretty good results with the use of effexor and sleep aids to combat these. So there are options out there to control symptoms without the HRT. Also if you are not suffering any symptoms or are able to manage them on your own then I wouldn't take anything anyway. Good luck to you.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:11 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,276,604 times
Quote:
just take natural stuff, like black cohosh.
Stay away from this if you can, too. It has been shown to cause some significant adverse reactions including possible hepatoxicity. Do NOT use it if you are pregnant or breast feeding. It has also shown to have major interactions if you are taking azathioprine, cyclosporine, and tamoxifen.

I HIGHLY advise staying away from herbals, especially if you are taking other medication. Many have well-documented adverse and serious interactions that are overlooked by naive "purists" who think just because it's an herb doesn't mean it isn't dangerous.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:23 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,905,983 times
I still don't understand how and why they are using "EFFEXOR" off-label for any of this!! It's an a/d. And the worst part, the Dr.s don't mention is it is addictive. Of course they don't call it an "addiction" but instead call it something else...doesn't sound nearly as bad. I know several people who said once they tried to stop using it if felt the same way addicts said coming off illegal drugs was. I agree as I was only on it for three months and had severe w/d's. Be very cautious of using any drugs for off-label use----or even for what they were ment for!!!! Do your research!!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,276,604 times
It isn't just Effexor. It is mostly any anti-depressant with a seratonin component that is used to alleviate hot flashes. It DOES NOT have an off-label use for HRT, it simply has an off label use to help relieve some symtoms of menopause, including hot flashes, that's it!

Clonidine has the same off label use. Both have been shown to be quite effective, actually.

BTW, Effexor has no addictive properties nor possibility of abuse. Your friends are likely experiencing nothing more than having their elevated moods come down to their normal depressed state at a fast rate. If you abruptly stop a medication, you're going to experience such things. It's not addiction, however, it is dependency and withdrawel. Stopping Effexor abruptly is not recommended nor should be done.

PS. You would experience the same thing if you drink a ton of caffeine and quickly stop.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,131,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I still don't understand how and why they are using "EFFEXOR" off-label for any of this!! It's an a/d. And the worst part, the Dr.s don't mention is it is addictive. Of course they don't call it an "addiction" but instead call it something else...doesn't sound nearly as bad. I know several people who said once they tried to stop using it if felt the same way addicts said coming off illegal drugs was. I agree as I was only on it for three months and had severe w/d's. Be very cautious of using any drugs for off-label use----or even for what they were ment for!!!! Do your research!!!!
They use it because it works for a lot of women. It is not physically addictive but if you stop with out weaning down the dose there can be physical side effects such as nausea and sleep disturbances. Many drugs have been more beneficial in off label use then were ever for what they were first approved for. Usually the off label uses are found when studies reaveal that a benefit not originally intended has developed. So just because a new therapy isn't what the drug was supposed to do doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. If you get relief then that's all that matters.

Hot flashes: Minimize discomfort during menopause - MayoClinic.com

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM

I totally disagree with you regarding the good old story that Effexor is NOT addictive. These other people and myself were in a therapy group and some of us were on Effexor. I weaned off as directed by my Dr. Even my Dr. said that although they don't call it "W/D"s, that there have infact been to many cases of the same problems coming off this drug. IF you start taking the Effexor again and get it in your system all the effects go away. Google it!! I know what "I" experienced and witnessed others experience and I did a lot of research. Out of body experience, hallucinations feeling really sick, extremly dizzy. Sorry, I HAVE done my research regarding this drug and I have personally experienced it........I will agree no one would abuse it--who would want to?? And once I did get through the w/d's from Effexor I was so relieved and happy!! There is an abundance of information on the internet regarding the w/d's from Effexor--check it out!! The forums are everywhere with people scared and talking about what they are/have gone through! I know what many of the pharmacuticals might say but you must remember...they are in this for the $$. And the Dr.s get tons of these kind of drugs from their drug reps. free just to hand them out to their patients----getting many people "hooked" on their drugs! I have no argument with anyone I am only sharing what I know and have learned. Each to his/her own!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 AM

Irishmom, I respect your posts and I won't disagree with you. I am only telling of my personal experiences and from others I have witnessed. But you are correct by saying if it works and is the only thing that does work--well life is to short to be unhappy or uncomfortable. I just have a big concern regarding a/d's. Although I do know in many cases they can be life-savors. I think there is a lot to learn about them still......

Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM

4,730 posts, read 18,007,513 times
HRT increases risk of blood clots. You do not want those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness