U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,273,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I totally disagree with you regarding the good old story that Effexor is NOT addictive.
You can disagree all you want, but certain chemical properties must be present for something to be addictive.

Effexor is NOT. You can become DEPENDANT on Effexor, but not ADDICTED.

There is a big difference, it's not just semantics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,898,163 times
Here's one persons idea of the difference of "addiction" and "dependence".

Yeah, exactly - we're not addicted to water or oxygen, but we're certainly dependent on them. Addiction involves a cycle of needing, getting and having, it's a psychological / behavioural issue as much as a physical one. Dependence is when you can take something without ever thinking about it, and it doesn't necessarily seem to have any effect on you... until you try to stop.

And while I know there is a medical difference, try explaining that to a person coming off some of these a/d's. Anyhow, as you can see this is a touchy subject for me...and completely off subject for this particular thread--which is probably my fault for taking it in this direction. For that I appoligize! On with the original thread now.......

Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Here is the difference.

When you are addicted to something, it is a chronic and psychological influence that can be compulsive despite harm and craving. For example, you can become addicted to marijuana. Despite it possibly ruining your career, your home life, and your social life, some people are addicted to marijuana and won't stop using it. However, you cannot become dependant on marijuana. Your body does not become physically dependant on the drug and stopping it will not cause withdrawal.

Effexor, on the other hand, is not addictive. People do not sell nor buy effexor on the black market, it has no potential for abuse. However, physically, your body can become dependant on it and you will suffer withdrawal if you abruptly stop. Caffeine is another example of something that you cannot become addicted to but can become dependant on.

Many things are both addictive AND dependant, such as opium.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,898,163 times
Interesting. And that does make sense. However, "I felt" addicted to Effexor. The difference here I guess is I felt addicted but was dependent. It's all about the proper wording I guess. But the w/d is very real. And even a very slow wean with my Dr watching close. Guess I'm out trying to save the world again. It's a problem I have!!
I will add that my Dr. did eventually stop perscribing Effexor to anyone because of these related problems.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
But the w/d is very real.
It certainly can be! It sounds like you were especially sensitive to the w/d effects. I know other people who stop on a dime and don't experience anything. It all depends on the person.

Effexor is a good drug, though, it helps a lot of people.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM

7,771 posts, read 17,227,697 times
I really haven't researched hormone replacement therapy, so my opinion should be considered with a grain of salt. Just the name alone Hormone Replacement Therapy gives me the willies. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I am essentially anti drug and anti allopathic medicine, so anything remotely connected with either of those, I tend to avoid like the plague. I would never advise a person to ask their doctor if that's the only criterea used to make a health related decison, but everyone has to make their own health related decisions whatever criteria it is based on.

blessings...Franco

Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,128,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Irishmom, I respect your posts and I won't disagree with you. I am only telling of my personal experiences and from others I have witnessed. But you are correct by saying if it works and is the only thing that does work--well life is to short to be unhappy or uncomfortable. I just have a big concern regarding a/d's. Although I do know in many cases they can be life-savors. I think there is a lot to learn about them still......
Oh I'm sure you did have symptoms, there are reports of the same side effects that you can have when you start take it (and for some people it can be really bad and they have to stop) recurring when you stop. But that is really only a small percentage of patients, or at least of patients that reported the effects...that can always be a difference as well. But not physically addictive in the sense that your body becomes dependant on it, however you can feel side effects from almost anything that is introduced or taken away from your body, so I'm sure you did and aren't making it up. No offense meant by my post, I hope you know that.

It is safer though than hormone replacement therapy if menopause side effects are interfering with your daily life so I would recommend trying it first before HRT. It works in 67% of women to minimize discomfort...that's a whole lot of women not on HRT which in my book is a good thing.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM

14,146 posts, read 26,201,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I still don't understand how and why they are using "EFFEXOR" off-label for any of this!! It's an a/d. And the worst part, the Dr.s don't mention is it is addictive. Of course they don't call it an "addiction" but instead call it something else...doesn't sound nearly as bad. I know several people who said once they tried to stop using it if felt the same way addicts said coming off illegal drugs was. I agree as I was only on it for three months and had severe w/d's. Be very cautious of using any drugs for off-label use----or even for what they were ment for!!!! Do your research!!!!

I would sign up for HRT any day over effexor!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 PM

14,146 posts, read 26,201,826 times
Several generations of women were prescribed HRT as standard protocol at the onset of menopause. Now some studies indicate it might cause cancer, bloodclots, and possibly contribute to any number of other conditions. Back in the long ago, HRT was thought to postpone some of the symptoms of ageing as well as prevent menopausal symptoms. Millions of women took those little pills. If it was as bad as they are making it out to be today, most of the women who took HRT would be dead by now. As a direct result of the HRT, not just old age.

I would take HRT before I was willing to take a cocktail of anti depressants and sleeping pills. I think it's more frightening to mess around with SSRI's, dopamine and serotonin. Unless I was seriously depressed, I wouldn't want to fool around with the chemical balance in my brain. I've been around people on Effexor and they just aren't the same. And I don't mean they are better; maybe just vacant. I would be more likely to add a few hormones. Something my body was already used to.

For some women, menopausal symptoms are quite severe. If it effects the quality of your life, you should do something about it.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,442,595 times
I just wouldn't take the stuff. If you want to lose weight, then get serious about exercise and healthy eating. No reason anyone should have to take a dangerous hormone to drop weight. I can't believe doctors are even pushing this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness