U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,118,466 times

Advertisements

Did someone say to lose weight? I missed that. Hormones cause you to gain weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,893,999 times
In many cases so does Effexor!! But I think I missed the weight issue here....

Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 AM

7,771 posts, read 17,223,779 times
Default I second that emotion.

GreenMachine wrote:
I just wouldn't take the stuff. If you want to lose weight, then get serious about exercise and healthy eating. No reason anyone should have to take a dangerous hormone to drop weight. I can't believe doctors are even pushing this stuff.
Amen to that! I second that emotion.

blessings.....Franco

Old 11-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 15,035,417 times
Wow. I did HRT for 5 years. I was in my 4th year when that controversial Women's study came out. I thought about dropping HRT at that point. Saw my gyn and she explained how the study was flawed and incomplete (at that time). I was on the lowest, plant-derivative, system, and two different pills - one for day 1-16 and then added a second pill from day 16-26 (off for 5 days) and the gyn said that to have the full benefit of HRT, I should do it for the 5 years.

I have no significant personal or family history that would have contraindicated HRT. I felt great on it. When I did finish the 5 years, you could tell the difference between on & off but I stayed off.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 15,035,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Here is the difference.

When you are addicted to something, it is a chronic and psychological influence that can be compulsive despite harm and craving. For example, you can become addicted to marijuana. Despite it possibly ruining your career, your home life, and your social life, some people are addicted to marijuana and won't stop using it. However, you cannot become dependant on marijuana. Your body does not become physically dependant on the drug and stopping it will not cause withdrawal.

Effexor, on the other hand, is not addictive. People do not sell nor buy effexor on the black market, it has no potential for abuse. However, physically, your body can become dependant on it and you will suffer withdrawal if you abruptly stop. Caffeine is another example of something that you cannot become addicted to but can become dependant on.

Many things are both addictive AND dependant, such as opium.
Would it be OK to stray a little here and ask about nicotine? Nicotine is addictive. Are the rest of the chemicals in a cigarette the dependency branch?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,271,857 times
Quote:
Would it be OK to stray a little here and ask about nicotine? Nicotine is addictive. Are the rest of the chemicals in a cigarette the dependency branch?
Nicotine has both properties of addiction and dependency.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:40 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,271,857 times
Moderator cut: put down
Quote:
Did someone say to lose weight? I missed that. Hormones cause you to gain weight
That depends heavily on the hormone. Some hormones would make you lose weight, some will make you gain it.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-07-2007 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: put down

Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,111,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Greenie,
I am 44 also, and am doing the same thing, staying away from sugar and refined carbs. I am getting some problems with heavy bleeding, but I'll just deal with it, there is no way I would take hormones for that or hot flashes, not worth the risk.
kat> please be careful w/the heavy bleeding. If it gets worse or you begin experiencing pain in your lower groin please,please go to the dr. and complain until he finds out what the problem is ok?
This happened to me and I was told it was part of the menopause process,except I wasn't in menopause. My pap tests were normal so the dr. just kept telling me it was"normal" and I was getting "older".(I was 48)
I believed this until the time I didn't stop bleeding for a month. A D&C showed stage3 uterine cancer.
1 hysterectomy and many tests,treatments, and drs appts later I am still here at 50. OH, I couldnt take hormones due to a factor 5 blood problem which makes me at a much higher risk for blood clots and heart attacks. Instant menopause was no fun but, even if I could have taken them, I wouldn't.
So take care of yourself ok?
Hugs

Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 PM

8,685 posts, read 17,330,086 times
Am taking premarin after a hysterectomy (uterus and ovaries). Am pleased with it. But when you have surgical menopause it is totally different than when your parts give out gradually. Also - prempro is the dangerous one that increase risk of breast cancer. It is the provera. Prepro has to be given to menopausal women who have a uterus to protect them from uterine cancer from the estogen. However, if you don't have a uterus you don't need prempro.

I tried going cold-turkey for several months after the surgery and that was a huge mistake (at least for me). The only way I feel like my old self is with premarin.

Same with a co-worker - she didn't take them because of everyone telling her not to -- she said she was at the point of a nervous breakdown and finally agreed to take them and she said she is 100% happy she did. The safety depends alot on the type you take, getting a good doctor, family history and general overall health.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:28 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,118,466 times
I just read and posted on this forum that breast cancer rates are down since many women are not taking hormonal replacement. it is under Advances in Cancer Care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness