U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:23 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,679,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I am at that age and have had several of my doctors ask me what my plans are. I am not interested in taking estrogen or any other form of HRT until I can be very certain of its safety. Further, I am one year plus into menopause and have not experienced any of the typicial symptoms.

There is such controversy over this and doctors are equally divided on this topic. What are your experiences, recommendations, and thoughts?

Thank you!!!
Menopause is a natural part of ageing and I chose to follow Mother Nature

The natural way has worked for me - now age 70, I look younger, and have not had to worry about any possible side effects of drugs because I take NONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,679,962 times
Default Suzanne Somers........

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
Lots of good info on city-data about HRT //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=10558781

Did anyone see Suzanne Sommers on Oprah The Bioidentical Debate with Suzanne Somers talking about bioidentical hormones? (She was showing estrogen, testosterone, DHEA and progesterone, in cream form.)

She looks great!
YES..... she does look absolutely GREAT !! and I'm sure she sells a lot of books by virtue of her looks. But, remember..... she was GORGEOUS when she was young, stunning!! By eating right, not abusing her body, a couple of nips/tucks/liposuction/makeup/airbrushing photos ..... she still is beautiful!

IMHO I do not attribute her great looks to taking hormones!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 AM

82 posts, read 213,383 times
The problem with female HRT is that the major pharm companies get the estrogen from male horse urine. It is synthetic and not natural to the body, hence the problems. Bio-Identical Hormones as Oprah and Suzanne Sommers were talking about are the same God given hormones in your body. Dont settle for Big Pharmas crap, get real hormones that are supposed to be in your body.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,524,147 times
Glad I found this thread. Thank You all. At 52 I'm going through the natural peri-menopasel and have (I think) stepped into the menopausel. Do not and will not do HRT. Though some friends and family think that a good amount of other problems I have might be from the changes going on.
LOL might try to change my sleep scheduele though. H-F's start at about 3 to 4 in the afternoon and continue through the night. Have a fan blowing on my face every night all night. Wake up perspireing and kick the blanket off the tug it back on. This goes on throughout the whole night.
I am encouraged by your comments here. And this to shall pass.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:38 AM

39,108 posts, read 48,071,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
HRT increases risk of blood clots. You do not want those.
I got a huge blood clot after taking HRT for only 5 months. I would advise women to NEVER ever take them. I also had ER+/PR+ breast cancer last year, so who knows if the hormones have anything to do with it.
Whether or not the bioidentical hormones are truly safer, I wouldn't chance it unless my quality of life was so bad that I'd rather have a blood clot than suffer the symptoms. A few hot flashes are no big deal.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 11,820 times
Default Hrt

The Oprah show had Dr. Christiane Northrup and she recommended a panel of blood tests first before starting therapy. The panel's retail cost is over $800 but you can get them online through DirectLabs cheap! It included DHEA,s, Testosterone Total and Free, FSH, TSH and Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy

Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,275,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I got a huge blood clot after taking HRT for only 5 months. I would advise women to NEVER ever take them. I also had ER+/PR+ breast cancer last year, so who knows if the hormones have anything to do with it.
Whether or not the bioidentical hormones are truly safer, I wouldn't chance it unless my quality of life was so bad that I'd rather have a blood clot than suffer the symptoms. A few hot flashes are no big deal.
I worked with a woman a few years ago who developed breast cancer after one year of HRT. Both she and her doctor were convinced it was due to the HRT.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,670,895 times
I fail to see how a doctor could make that claim with 100% accuracy. Ditto for the blood clot issue.
Ever read the side effects of any medication one takes? It would scare the heck out of us to the point we would never take another medicine.
I think it is doing an injustice to many women to make claims that can't be confirmed with concrete evidence.
Taking an HRT is a personal choice and one should do their research but scare tactics are not helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I worked with a woman a few years ago who developed breast cancer after one year of HRT. Both she and her doctor were convinced it was due to the HRT.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,524,147 times
I'm just a natural born chicen when it comes to any drugs that I would ingest. I read all the side effects, take with this but not with that. So if I can survive this point in my life I'm going to fight my hardest. Currently faceing meds for another health issue. The side effects of the "possible" course of treatment doesn't have me very thrilled. I guess what I'm trying to say is I do not want to have to many meds and worry about all the junk that might or could or very well never happen.
Told ya I'm a big chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness