U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 35,389,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Lol thanks. I come from a very blunt family/culture.. People are like "OMFG your so skinny!". Like skinny isn't the norm for Mexicans or something. I just tell them yea.. w.e.
When I was 18 I was 6'5" and 187 lbs....now I"m 66 6'5" and 320 lbs.....not fat...I just stopped growing.....

If only I was 7'8"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 AM

14,146 posts, read 26,204,730 times
By all means develop good eating and exercise habits now. The worm WILL turn. Someday in the future, you will wake up 30lbs heavier and spend the rest of your life trying to lose it and keep it gone!

Eat a twinkie for me!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:00 AM

163 posts, read 866,429 times
Default Scrawny to Brawny

I'm in the same boat as you....but I'm 32 years old. I'm 5' 11" and 150 pounds. I have two skinny parents, so I guess genetics has given me a high metabolism.

Anyhow, I just finished reading a great book called "Scrawny to Brawny". You can find it on Amazon.com. It's written by a couple former skinny guys with PH D's in nutrition and exercise physiology.

The book explains how us skinny guys have to take a different approach to eating, and working out, if we want to pack on the pounds. Our bodies are different, so the workout routines and dietary advice you see in the muscle magazine, won't work well for us. The book has very specific workout and dietary instructions, and is a fascinating read about how the body of a skinny person is different.

I've just started the program, so I can't boast great results yet, but others who have done it seem to have had great results. And most importantly, although you'll be eating alot of calories, it's all very healthy. I'm very strict about not eating processed or unnatural factory foods, and the diet in this book is all real, healthy foods...just in huge quantities.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 PM

4,271 posts, read 14,173,251 times
Well, how do you know how much fat people eat? J/K

You are young, I wouldn't worry about it. You are probably blessed with a super-fast metabolism (lucky you). I would say this though: just because you are skinny, doesn't mean you are healthy. Make sure you eat a well-balanced diet and not too much junk food. It WILL catch up with you in the future. Even if the weight doesn't, other problems arise like heart disease and diabetes.

If you truly are concerned about it, I'd go to your family doctor and discuss it with him. If you want to put on weight, do it the healty way and go to a gym. Start doing weights.

My brother used to be super duper skinny, like bone thin. Now, he is in his 30s and weights about 170lb or so. My SIL's brother was the same and now he's kind of a fatty in his early 30s.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 PM

292 posts, read 914,200 times
I graduated from high school at 6' tall and 140lbs. It took about 10 years of working out to get to 160lbs and several more years to get to 185lbs which is where I'm at now. I could eat anything I wanted and not gain an ounce. Besides my regular meals I used to eat a lot of junk food, "To fill in the corners." I used to say. Around the age of 40 I had my first cholesterol test. I flunked royally. Makes me regret having eaten all that junk for all those years.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,442,843 times
A friend of mine had the same problem ( though we were jealous of her ! and eventually to her doctor. She had tests done and it was found she had a tapeworm. Go to your Doctor. Unless you are incredibly physically active you should gain weight if you eat a lot , especially fatty foods and it isn't normal. Eating unhealthily whether you remain thin or not is still bad for you and will still hurt your physical health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness