Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times

Advertisements

It makes me wonder about my sons. All 3 of them got the chicken pox. My oldest son got a moderate case, my middle son got a very bad case (he has chicken pox in his scalp, all over his wole body and even in his mouth, and my youngest son had such a light case (3 tiny blisters) that if his brother had not just had it I would have never known. So is my son that had the very bad case less likely to get shingles or more likely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It makes me wonder about my sons. All 3 of them got the chicken pox. My oldest son got a moderate case, my middle son got a very bad case (he has chicken pox in his scalp, all over his wole body and even in his mouth, and my youngest son had such a light case (3 tiny blisters) that if his brother had not just had it I would have never known. So is my son that had the very bad case less likely to get shingles or more likely?

not sure the severity of chicken pox makes any difference. The virus is in the body once one has had chicken pox; it lies there inactive for years or maybe forever. For reasons that are not fully known, the virus can reactivate years later, causing shingles.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
I have had two friends who have had shingles, both a very serious case, both are very high strung emotional people, and, have very poor coping skills. They both were beset with stressful situations when the shingles occurred. I am wondering if stress is the trigger, and, perhaps highly emotional people are more subject to getting the disease?

Both had chicken poxs, neither had the shot.

Me, had chicken poxs ,age 65, no shots for shingles or flu, for me, I see no benefit, although, I may end up regretting my decisions...I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:28 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I have had two friends who have had shingles, both a very serious case, both are very high strung emotional people, and, have very poor coping skills. They both were beset with stressful situations when the shingles occurred. I am wondering if stress is the trigger, and, perhaps highly emotional people are more subject to getting the disease?

Both had chicken poxs, neither had the shot.

Me, had chicken poxs ,age 65, no shots for shingles or flu, for me, I see no benefit, although, I may end up regretting my decisions...I'll keep you posted.

Stress may alter the immune system, but so does aging. Either can increase the risk for shingles.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
I got Chicken Pox at 28, and was the only time I stayed home from work (besides sports injuries) and I was miserable. my kids came down with it and my mom said I had them as a kid. Turns out I had everything but Chicken Pox.

Does this make me more or less likely to get shingles? My dad got them at about 70!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I read online that 50% of all shingles episodes are in people ages 60 and over. It also said the shot is 51% effective in preventing shingles. She you have 1/2 a chance of not getting it and usually if you have had the shot you shingles episode will be lighter than if you didn't have the shot.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Several years ago, I had the discussion with my doctor as to shot/no shot. He told me that if I was vigilant, I could take the antiviral at the first sign and keep the attack to a minimum. I asked him what I should do if I went away on vacation, or on week-end when he was off hunting in the big woods. He laughed and wrote me a prescription, left it undated, and told me to call him first but if he wasn't available, he trusted my judgement. I never used it. (Which reminds me, maybe I better get a new scrip)

Since I'm not sure if I had Chicken Pox as a child (parents both deceased so I can't check) and since getting the vaccine is no guarantee that Shingles won't happen, I'll pass. Others should do what feels right for them.
Reading through this old post, I just stopped in to say that I MAY have shingles. Something started in my left calf - a feeling, a sensation that wasn't painful, but very unpleasant. The next day, there was an open sore. I had been working in the yard so I thought perhaps it was a bug bite, but the next day, my calf was very warm in that area and I began to fear a clot. I called the doc and got in within hours. The PA saw it and said she thought it looked like shingles. I was shocked! The doc came in to check and he felt that it would be best to be cautious. Could be shingles. Could be a bug bite. I'm now on Valtrex and Keflex. Got all the bases covered. I must admit to having been in a very stressful situation for the last two weeks, and I shouldn't be surprised if it is actually shingles.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:23 PM

79 posts, read 100,216 times
Default What a smart cookie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
My husband and I are both in our late 50's and we turned down the shot. I know a couple where they both got the shot and he ended up getting shingles, a very bad case and it took a long while to recover. This couple were under a lot of stress and in their 70's, relocating to a different city. I know that stress is a big factor. We don't take any vaccines including the flu shot. We concentrate on healthy alternatives. I had the chicken pox not sure about my husband. Will we ever take the shingles shot? No, at least I will not. It is a good idea to ask here so you can get some feedback to help with your decision. I would also "google" it.
Yes, yes, they are filling those vaxxes with live virus and making people sick. I have never seen so many people down with the flu in all months of the year as I do now and I suspect and totally blame these shots for it!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
Yes, yes, they are filling those vaxxes with live virus and making people sick. I have never seen so many people down with the flu in all months of the year as I do now and I suspect and totally blame these shots for it!
What? People don't get the "flu" from the shingles vaccine. They are two completely different viruses. BTW, the annual flu shot is a dead virus.

Some vaccines must be "live" (actually, barely alive, AKA attenuated) to work, like the smallpox vaccine, and the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Default Not such a smart cookie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
Those "vaxxes" aren't making people sick....

As already pointed out you can't the flu from a Zoster vaccine, you can't the flu from a flu vaccine for that matter....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness