Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
Also garlic only temporarily worsens acid but in the long run it neurtalizes it. Adding MORE acid to your stomach like garlic, vinegar, mustard can cause your body to produce less acid.
I'm curious about this. I have hearburn from time to time, especially after pizza and some red sauces like marinara. I used to take Tums for it but have been trying to avoid that stuff for some reason.

But from time to time, like once a month or less, I think I get acid reflux. I wake up and feel like I'm choking on battery acid, try to get up and spit out what I can. It's gross. I have to gargle and drink ice water before I go back to bed... then a Tums or two.

But recently, this guy at my work has been drinking apple cider vinegar, raw unfiltered, and raw honey to cut his cholesterol. I got curious so I've been doing it. This other guy at work told me he uses that to prevent acid reflux and heartburn.

I don't know about all of this. I'm not a heartburn expert nor am I an acid refluxologist. But since I've been taking this stuff, I've had neither so far. I found the best way for me is to take a cup of water and bring it to an almost boil, put in two tblsp of honey and about 3 tblsp of vinegar and it tastes sort of like a virgin hot-toddy. I try to drink one per day.

I understand that there are perhaps many causes for some of these symptoms and perhaps we all don't respond the same way. But I hope this works for me. Going forward, I will try to cut down on the coffee, red sauce, pizza, etc.

Last edited by McGowdog; 06-23-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
If your acid reflux goes on too long, there will be permanent damage. But if you catch it early on, it is very easy to prevent. Identify the foods that cause it, and stop eating them. Make sure you're finished with supper at least three or four hours before you go to bed -- before 7 pm, for most people -- no second helpings, and go easy on nighttime snacks, or cut them out completely. If you're overweight, address that issue.

Things like Tums are a very bad idea to take regularly, avoid them, except for an occasional attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness