Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'm personally always amused when the pro-vaccine supporters post links to the Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization, American Academy of Pediatrics, major universities, etc. and the anti-vaccine crowd busts out links from "gardasilkills.org", "birthofanewearth blog", "truthaboutgardasil" and countless random blogs and theory sites, etc.
You typed the words right out of my fingers only better than what I was going to say.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 AM

90 posts, read 140,911 times
If one takes some time to research the CDC and its operations you will easily find that the CDC has a serious conflict of interest.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am a big proponent of vaccination, but HPV isn't something you can catch from respiratory droplets or bad clams.

Uh.......I think actually you can get it from "bad clams". ROTFL...

Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'm personally always amused when the pro-vaccine supporters post links to the Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization, American Academy of Pediatrics, major universities, etc. and the anti-vaccine crowd busts out links from "gardasilkills.org", "birthofanewearth blog", "truthaboutgardasil" and countless random blogs and theory sites, etc.

My problem is that I am required to make a logical leap that I am not ready to make in order to dismiss the CDC, WHO, etc. I must believe that these are nothing more than mouthpieces for "big pharma" who want to make money off of poisoning us. Therefore I should trust blog posts by random people on the internet. At least when it comes to the health and welfare of my children.

Are my kids going to get the vaccine? Yes. What helped me make the decision is the fact that my cousin (biochemist) and her husband (executive in a pharmaceutical company) are giving it to their daughter. Those are two people who would know if there was some major risk being covered up or "big pharma" plot to make money. Yet, they are giving this vaccine and all the others to their own daughter.

Same kind of situation here. My father in law is a retired molecular biologist who developed and patented drugs for a large pharmaceutical company all of his adult life. He highly recommended the vaccine for his granddaughters.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
As someone who had HPV, my children will NOT be getting the vaccine.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nope.
No changed mind here.
My kid is still not getting it.
I am a big proponent of vaccination, but HPV isn't something you can catch from respiratory droplets or bad clams.
Does this mean you expect your daughter to

1. Never ever ever refrain from using a condom? Hard to get pregnant that way.
2. Only marry a man who does not have it?

That is pretty limiting.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
No, that "news" doesn't change my opinion in the least. Apparently, most people aren't even aware of just how low the incidence of cervical cancer was in the U.S. before the advent of this vaccine (and that's notwithstanding the lifestyle choices that increase one's risk).

The vaccine is nothing more than an experiment to benefit third-world countries.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
I would definitly get it for my child (if I had one)

I had high risk HPV even though I didn't lead a "high risk" life style. Used a condom everytime! I would never want me daughter to have to lay there and have pieces of her cervix cut out at 19 years old.

But hey, it's gonna go away on it's own right?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
As someone who had HPV, my children will NOT be getting the vaccine.
Would you be willing to explain how your experience influenced your decision?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Because there have been some terrifying tales about illnesses and even paralysis after getting the vax. My neighbor's daughter was in the hospital for 3 weeks extremely ill right after she got it. At first nobody could figure out why the kid was sick but finally the doctor even acknowledged it was the vax. he and the mother of the kid (RN) did extensive research to the point the doctor stopped giving the shot to any of his patients and referred them to others who might do it.

I almost died from taking Premarin. It changed the entire course of my life. At the time all obgyns were telling their patients that all women should take HRT and they should take it for the rest of their lives. That thinking has definitely changed.

My cousin was married to a doctor who refused to let her take birth control pills when they first came out in the 60's. He said a med had to be on the market for 20 years before it was proved safe. Soon after that it was found that birth control pills could indeed cause strokes and other serious illnesses in some women. Thalidomide was prescribed in the 50's and 60's as a safe med before anybody realized it was causing severe birth defects. And what was the drug prescribed to lessen the chances of miscarriage which turned out to give the daughters born to women who took it cervical cancer? Another cousin had that happen to her and her mother, my aunt, was wracked with guilt over that.

I understand there is a fairly narrow time frame for young girls to take the vax for it to do the most good so it's not like we can wait till they are of age or even sexually active to get the vax.
I don't know what we are going to do but I'll visit at least 3 pediatricians, including the one who won't give it, before I make up my mind.
There are risks associated with all medication. There are about 103,000 Americans hospitalized per year and 16,500 deaths due to NSAIDS. That's medication like Motrin, Advil and aspirin.
Gardasil seems relatively benign by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness