Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM

37,084 posts, read 42,062,039 times

Advertisements

My daughter got this one on her own. She was a Sr in HS when she started and got the last one when she was in college. No problems whatsoever and I will NOT be scared by the personal stories of a friend of a friend by an internet stranger. Our Dr. recommended it to her.

I wish it had been available to me because even though I'd be considered a sexual prude by most I've recently been diagnosed with a high risk version of this, which I no doubt got from my ex-husband who had no idea he carried such a thing.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Maybe the vast majority of people in this country, yes. But not every cultural subgroup.
It's not about morality.
I am making no morality judgments. How can I? It would be totally hypocritical.
But acting like this is not related to behavior (not bad or good behavior, but behavior nonetheless) is just ignorant.

And I am talking about severity of consequence. Any time a proposed treatment or vaccine or any med comes out, what needs to be analyzed more than ANYTHING is NNT. Please look that up and attempt to understand it.

Here is an I found that might be helpful.

Gardasil (HPV Vaccine): Fraud in Plain Sight – Dr. Whitaker MD | The Refusers
Same here, I think many parents are going to have a false sense of security about STD's because they got their kid a vaccine and told them have at it.

HPV is just one STD. All the STDs are bad in one way or another.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,710,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Same here, I think many parents are going to have a false sense of security about STD's because they got their kid a vaccine and told them have at it.

What? You think you're the only person who knows that HPV is just one STD? I don't know ANYONE who gives their kid a vaccine and tells them to have at it.
That's like my crazy ex sister in law refusing to let her daughter who had terrible acne and menstrual issues take birth control pills because she was afraid she'd become promiscuous.

Absolutely asinine.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,398,027 times
Quote:

Girls Vaccinated For HPV Not More Likely To Be Sexually Active : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
What? You think you're the only person who knows that HPV is just one STD? I don't know ANYONE who gives their kid a vaccine and tells them to have at it.
That's like my crazy ex sister in law refusing to let her daughter who had terrible acne and menstrual issues take birth control pills because she was afraid she'd become promiscuous.

Absolutely asinine.
And the HPV vaccine does not protect against chlamydia, some of the HPV's, HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C and many others. Like stan4 stated, it's about a behavior.

And kids today aren't stupid, they know the HPV vaccine is supposed to make sexual activity safe.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,398,027 times
Quote:
And the HPV vaccine does not protect against chlamydia, some of the HPV's, HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C and many others. Like stan4 stated, it's about a behavior.

And kids today aren't stupid, they know the HPV vaccine is supposed to make sexual activity safe.
No, but it does protect against 4 strains of HPV, including the two that cause most of the cancers and two that cause genital warts. The polio vaccine doesn't protect against ebola virus, either. What's your point?

Since you obviously didn't even look at the title of my link, I'll give you the allowable three sentences:

Giving the human papillomavirus vaccine to teenage girls doesn't increase the likelihood that they will be sexually active, according to a new study. . . . When it comes to sex and daughters, evidence doesn't trump emotion. . . . A different bit of data may be the most reassuring: The number of teenage girls who are sexually active has been declining steadily.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:

You're right...the KIDS aren't stupid. They know it isn't supposed to make sexual activity safe. Just a little safER.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, but it does protect against 4 strains of HPV, including the two that cause most of the cancers and two that cause genital warts. The polio vaccine doesn't protect against ebola virus, either. What's your point?

Since you obviously didn't even look at the title of my link, I'll give you the allowable three sentences:

Giving the human papillomavirus vaccine to teenage girls doesn't increase the likelihood that they will be sexually active, according to a new study. . . . When it comes to sex and daughters, evidence doesn't trump emotion. . . . A different bit of data may be the most reassuring: The number of teenage girls who are sexually active has been declining steadily.
My point was that all the STD's have to do with behavior, unlike polio and ebola, all the STD's are caught the same way.

At age 18, obviously a kid will be able to make his/her own decision on what they want injected into themselves.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
My point was that all the STD's have to do with behavior, unlike polio and ebola, all the STD's are caught the same way.

At age 18, obviously a kid will be able to make his/her own decision on what they want injected into themselves.
I happen to love my kids more than I love the idea that I want them to remain sexually inactive till they are adults. They aren't under my care 24/7 and ultimately, no matter how they are raised, some will choose sexual activity and whether they have the HPV vax or not will not even enter into a teens mind at the crucial moment.
I would rather my kids be safe from whatever I can keep them safe from. It's far more important than any moralistic ideas I happen to have about sex.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,698,442 times
If we expect kids to take the measures necessary to avoid catching HIV, chlamydia, syphillis, gonorrhea, etc, then why would we say that it's unrealistic and asinine to expect them to protect themselves from catching HPV from someone? All of the other VPDs are caught simply be being in the wrong place at the wrong time, whether that means on an airplane that is transporting someone who is incubating measles, or in an elevator or office building with someone who has the flu, or eating in a restaurant that is serving hepatitis-A-tainted food. HPV is not acquired through casual contact. There are other ways to prevent the transmission, and those ways are not out of the ordinary: Protect yourself by having only protected sex. Just like you'd do for all of the other STIs out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness