Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:

I mean, 40,000 people in this country are exposed to rabies, a universally
FATAL disease...yet we don't require every single person to be vaccinated to
rabies prior to exposure. Why? Because screening and treatment after
the fact are effective? Oooooh...
Wrong, wrong, wrong. 40,000 need to be vaccinated JUST IN CASE the animal in question had rabies. It doesn't mean they were exposed to rabies. If a squirrel bites someone, mistaking a finger for a peanut, the person will get a rabies shot. It doesn't mean the squirrel was rabid. Chances are that it wasn't.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. 40,000 need to be vaccinated JUST IN CASE the animal in question had rabies. It doesn't mean they were exposed to rabies. If a squirrel bites someone, mistaking a finger for a peanut, the person will get a rabies shot. It doesn't mean the squirrel was rabid. Chances are that it wasn't.
Also, can't they only confirm rabies in an animal if it's dead? That's why anyone bitten by a wild animal, who doesn't have the actual animal, will get a rabies shot?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And the HPV vaccine does not protect against chlamydia, some of the HPV's, HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C and many others. Like stan4 stated, it's about a behavior.

And kids today aren't stupid, they know the HPV vaccine is supposed to make sexual activity safe.
Seriously???

Kids aren't stupid, yet they are going to think the HPV vaccine will make sexual activity safe??

Which is it??

Either kids ARE stupid OR they will know the HPV vaccine doesn't make sexual activity safe, can't have it both ways.

1. The "behavior" as you are call it is sexual intercourse....that "behavior" is going to happen whether you want it to or not, kind of like the "behaviors" of eating, drinking, breathing.....

2. The HPV vaccine isn't intended or marketed as a "STD" vaccine....its a "cancer" vaccine.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
I really don't like the whole "cancer vaccine" thing. It actually protects against an STD that may, in some cases, turn into cancer. It doesn't prevent all, most, or a good number of cancers. It protects against some strains of HPV. When the nurse at my ped's office brought it up, she said, "oh, you son should have his meningitis vaccine and his cancer vaccine." Is that what medical professionals are trained to say now?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
That nurse should be reported to her boss. Any doctor who is touting this vax as a cancer preventative in general is guilty of malpractice IMO.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
18 is way too late. Thank God the age of medical consent here is 14. You have no idea how many kids tell me their parents have no idea they're sexually active.
"Miss, I want the shot to protect myself because I'm having sex. Will my parents find out I got it? They'll kill me."
My answer is always "I have to give you a certificate of vaccination. What you do with it after you leave this room is none of my business."
And we always stress the importance of using protection so they don't catch anything else.
Thank goodness. It is the posters like Stan who assume that "in my family we don't" whose kid is going to be coming to your office.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I really don't like the whole "cancer vaccine" thing. It actually protects against an STD that may, in some cases, turn into cancer. It doesn't prevent all, most, or a good number of cancers. It protects against some strains of HPV. When the nurse at my ped's office brought it up, she said, "oh, you son should have his meningitis vaccine and his cancer vaccine." Is that what medical professionals are trained to say now?
That is a case of an uneducated nurse. She should be educated or removed. I hope you spoke to someone!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seriously???

Kids aren't stupid, yet they are going to think the HPV vaccine will make sexual activity safe??
Well.... kids whose parents intentionally withhold information from them are not stupid. But they are very likely ill informed.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Well, so what? HPV vaccine does protect against some cancers. It's not untrue that it's a cancer vaccine, not that I describe it that way with my patients. The public's understanding of cancer is about as low as its understanding of HPV. The meningitis vaccine does not protect against all strains of meningitis-causing bacteria, either. And health care professionals are not "trained". Sorry, that just rubs me the wrong way.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
I'm pretty surprised that vaccines can be given without parental consent. And of course the parents could find out; for certain grades at school, you have to obtain vaccine records and I wouldn't think that the hcp would agree to not report that that one was given. (Not to mention, it has to be given three times, so it's not like a 14-year-old wouldn't need transportation to the clinic/doctor's office.) I know that when my kids have vaccines, I have to sign a form for each one saying that I understand the risks/benefits. I didn't realize that a vaccination against a virus was included under the rules that allow kids to get treatment/medications for reproductive health. I also wonder whether this varies by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness