U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,386 posts, read 41,542,763 times
Reputation: 13282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post

Some yogurts will proclaim on the label that they are all natural, but when you look on the ingredient list, you find ingredients you don't want. Always read labels before putting them in your cart. That's the best way. And you save money by not having to toss it after you get home.
Yes.
It's really too bad that any yogurt, let alone plain, would have HFCS.
It's the same thing with bread--why sweeten it?
I'd rather have the choice of sweetening a food myself--and I rarely do add anything other than fruit and cereal.

My favorite yogurt of all (other than Greek) is Mountain High, which is not available in Florida. No HFCS.

Mountain High (http://www.mountainhighyoghurt.com/index.html - broken link)

There is also Fage Greek Yogurt (http://www.fageusa.com/products.html - broken link) which tastes delicious, if rich. No HFCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Status: "Well..." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Somewhere.
10,208 posts, read 22,708,529 times
Reputation: 8274
Cil, what I find to be really stupid, is when big name brand food manufacturers add bad ingredients to their products and charge more for them. Case in point: canned tomato sauce. The little cans. Hunts adds high fructose corn syrup plus another questionable ingredient or two, but the store brand doesn't. The store brand is what I always buy. No salt added ones of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 PM
 
13,138 posts, read 37,352,601 times
Reputation: 12153
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Case in point: canned tomato sauce. The little cans. Hunts adds high fructose corn syrup plus another questionable ingredient or two, but the store brand doesn't. The store brand is what I always buy.
Thanks for that advice PinkString as i always use can Tomato Sauce as my Salad Dressing and had no idea about HFCS in that product. I'll check the labels next time on them......

Thanks ! 6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM
 
Location: in drifts of snow wherever you go
2,493 posts, read 3,447,688 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks for that advice PinkString as i always use can Tomato Sauce as my Salad Dressing and had no idea about HFCS in that product. I'll check the labels next time on them......

Thanks ! 6/3
tomato sauce in salad dressing? Gross!

Yes, tomato sauce has sugar in it.

try olive oil and lemon juice, lemon pepper, and Lawry's Seasoning. I make the best salads ever!!!

greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM
 
13,138 posts, read 37,352,601 times
Reputation: 12153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
tomato sauce in salad dressing? Gross!

Yes, tomato sauce has sugar in it.

try olive oil and lemon juice, lemon pepper, and Lawry's Seasoning. I make the best salads ever!!!

greenie
Well it's very high in Lycopene and thats great for us guys and our.....er....Prostate....it also along with the other Carotenoids in the Sauce work thier way into the Skin Cell Membranes and act as an natural Sunscreen as they help in repelling the suns UVA/UVB Rays from Skin Cancers and Wrinkling.

So i pour a can on top of my salad with very pungent Garlic powder and very hot Cayenne Pepper powder with Olive Oil and mix all together and thats my own Salad Dressing for me anyway.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 PM
 
Location: in drifts of snow wherever you go
2,493 posts, read 3,447,688 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well it's very high in Lycopene and thats great for us guys and our.....er....Prostate....it also along with the other Carotenoids in the Sauce work thier way into the Skin Cell Membranes and act as an natural Sunscreen as they help in repelling the suns UVA/UVB Rays from Skin Cancers and Wrinkling.

So i pour a can on top of my salad with very pungent Garlic powder and very hot Cayenne Pepper powder with Olive Oil and mix all together and thats my own Salad Dressing for me anyway.....
I'm glad you're taking care of your prostrate, but what about just eating regular sliced tomatoes? Seriously, canned tomato sauce on your lettuce makes me wonder about your other odd eating habits. I've seen this before in bachelors.

Plus, acid tomatoes coming out of an aluminum can? What good is a functioning prostrate if you end up with alzheimers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 PM
 
13,138 posts, read 37,352,601 times
Reputation: 12153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Seriously, canned tomato sauce on your lettuce makes me wonder about your other odd eating habits. I've seen this before in bachelors.
LOL..... Here's another oddity in that i don't use lettuce but use Broccoli as my base for all my salads. Greenie.....odd or not my diet gives me plenty of energy to workout and exercise and be active and etc...etc...

My energy levels are very high and at 43 i still feel like 23 in my energy. However i'm also realistic in that once you hit the Big 40 all these different diseases start poping up in us humans to take us out so i ''eat to live'' and not ''live to eat'' like when i was younger.

I will ponder the Aluminum and the acidic nature of tomatos as that goes. Anyway i need more than just Olive Oil over my salads but if i can find a Salad Dressing thats Transfat free and also HFCS free then i'll check it out....

Thanks for your info and concern......

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Status: "Well..." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Somewhere.
10,208 posts, read 22,708,529 times
Reputation: 8274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
LOL..... Here's another oddity in that i don't use lettuce but use Broccoli as my base for all my salads. Greenie.....odd or not my diet gives me plenty of energy to workout and exercise and be active and etc...etc...

My energy levels are very high and at 43 i still feel like 23 in my energy. However i'm also realistic in that once you hit the Big 40 all these different diseases start poping up in us humans to take us out so i ''eat to live'' and not ''live to eat'' like when i was younger.

I will ponder the Aluminum and the acidic nature of tomatos as that goes. Anyway i need more than just Olive Oil over my salads but if i can find a Salad Dressing thats Transfat free and also HFCS free then i'll check it out....

Thanks for your info and concern......

6/3
Actually, if you eat healthy, get alot of exercise, laugh alot and meditate, you won't have to get the so-called diseases.
Sure the food combos sound strange to some of us, but if it works for you, and you like the taste, that's all that matters.
My partner likes putting tomato sauce on tuna, and I hate that idea, but he loves it. So that's all that matters.

A combo i put together and I absolutely love for my salad dressing is just tahini and lemon juice from a freshly squeezed lemon. 1/4 cup tahini and 2-3 tablespoons of lemon. Adjust to taste. Add more or less depending on the size of the salad.
In case you aren't familiar with tahini, it's sesame paste. Comes in a jar, and one brand its in a can. Salted and unsalted varieties. That's also one of the ingredients i use for my fake cheeses. Very tasty stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
 
Location: in drifts of snow wherever you go
2,493 posts, read 3,447,688 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Actually, if you eat healthy, get alot of exercise, laugh alot and meditate, you won't have to get the so-called diseases.
Sure the food combos sound strange to some of us, but if it works for you, and you like the taste, that's all that matters.
My partner likes putting tomato sauce on tuna, and I hate that idea, but he loves it. So that's all that matters.

A combo i put together and I absolutely love for my salad dressing is just tahini and lemon juice from a freshly squeezed lemon. 1/4 cup tahini and 2-3 tablespoons of lemon. Adjust to taste. Add more or less depending on the size of the salad.
In case you aren't familiar with tahini, it's sesame paste. Comes in a jar, and one brand its in a can. Salted and unsalted varieties. That's also one of the ingredients i use for my fake cheeses. Very tasty stuff.
Tahini sounds yummy. I'm going to buy some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 AM
 
13,138 posts, read 37,352,601 times
Reputation: 12153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
tomato sauce in salad dressing? Gross!

Yes, tomato sauce has sugar in it.

try olive oil and lemon juice, lemon pepper, and Lawry's Seasoning. I make the best salads ever!!!

greenie
O.K. i thought about what you said about HFCS and Aluminum in Tomato Sauce so i bought Lemons today and will mix with Olive Oil for my dressing and see how i like it......

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top