U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,163,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
No shortage of fiber in my diet, trust me.
I looked at some of the things you posted that you ate in the last couple of days. You eat a lot of dairy and nuts and seeds and fruits...but have you considered things like high fiber cereal? Those are the things that hold you over. Apples, though they have fiber, won't hold you over. Neither will nuts and seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,131,031 times
If you do get a high fiber cereal get one from the health food store. most cereals have corn syrup in them, but I don't think the ones at the health food stores do, well, if it says fruitose then it is the same. this stuff is fattening and just not good for you. How about your own homemade oatmeal?

Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,163,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
If you do get a high fiber cereal get one from the health food store. most cereals have corn syrup in them, but I don't think the ones at the health food stores do, well, if it says fruitose then it is the same. this stuff is fattening and just not good for you. How about your own homemade oatmeal?
I agree with the homemade oatmeal part. As for health food stores, I'm sure they have a wider selection of "healthy" foods but most of that is merely marketing. Not a huge advocate of the Whole Foods/Wild Oats movement

Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 AM

5,135 posts, read 10,442,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
good idea. Oatmeal is also good for your cholesterol levels! Most store bought cereal are junk. Even the health food store ones are high in sugars, still better than regular cereals, but far from perfect.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM

4,730 posts, read 18,009,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I agree with the homemade oatmeal part. As for health food stores, I'm sure they have a wider selection of "healthy" foods but most of that is merely marketing. Not a huge advocate of the Whole Foods/Wild Oats movement
I disagree. I worked PT at Earth Fare (2nd largest natural food store chain next to WF) and both Whole Foods and Earth Fare have blacklisted ingredients, such as all artificial sweeteners, colors, high fructose corn syrup, etc. They do carry some items with ingredients which may not be completely natural (Canes soda with phosphoric acid or soup w/yeast extract) but overall, you are going to mostly healthy items there. Take Harris Teeter, a large nice grocery store chain based near Charlotte. Of the tradtional stores around here, they offer the most organic/natural/vegetarian selection. However, some of their selections contain artifical colors, such as Morningstar veggie corn dogs. EF and WF do not stock these because artifical colors are not natural nor healthy and they are natural colors like beet juice which can be used. If God or nature (depending on your beliefs) didn't put it here, you likely don't need and it isn't good for you. If you have the time, research the 7th Day Advntists and see how their lifestyle contributes to their overall better health.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
Green Machine: I am 44 years old. in 2004 I logged my eating for 30 days and was shocked! I was eating 600g of fat and 4,000 calories each day. Almost 0 Carbs however. My body fat stabilized at 6.5% and all I was doing was walking 30-40 minutes per day. I was eating Mayo like it was candy. Meats, veggies, limited nuts & cheese. Forget the whole grain & Natural carbs BS. You need to avoid them. Some fruits are okay (apples, berries, do your research) but some are terrible...banana, pineapple, etc. For those of you who disagree with my 'Whole grains are bad' comment, just ask a type 1 diabetic how much 'Whole grain' products they eat? If the whole grain has high TOTAL carbs (not net) it will spike your glucose like a rocket. if TOTAL carbs are low, it's ok. Food manufacturers (I am one!) are clever how they use words like 'Whole Grain', 'Natural', etc. Meats, Most veggies (no corn, starchy beans, etc), most dairy (no milk, yogurt), and limited nuts. Do that and you are set!! Good luck.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,693,638 times
Our bodies NEED fat, not the massive amounts of fast food every day but some of the good fats. Just as many poeple die with low cholesterol as with high cholesterol. Your own body produces it in the liver...

I limit my fat intake and eat a lot more healthier and in doing that I have lost weight without even trying. I now put 1/4 a pound of smoked sausage in my 1 pound of beans rather than the whole pound like I use to. When I know I am going out to eat, I will diet really good for a week, cutting back even more on my fat intake so I can have ribs, or fried chicken or whatever I want. I make trade offs, I can have this or that, but not both. I make gravies with cornstarch now instead of using oil and flour, use lo fat or skim milk in cooking (never drink the stuff).. You can cut a lot of fat out of your diet and still eat good and a LOT!

The first rule of thumb I follow every day is that 5 servings of fruit or vegetables. Oatmeal with walnuts every morning or at night, I aim for at least a cup of beans every day, red meat no more than once a week, very limitted carbs... (I find if I eat a lot of carbs or drink a soda, I am starving all day the next day).. Some days, I feel like I am eating all day long, just trying to get the oatmeal 5 veggies/fruits and beans in. If I DO eat out, I do not eat anything else the rest of the day and I am always miserable after eating what I think is a big meal like that. (Actually a 4 ounce steak and small baked potato is all I can handle and I am miserable)

Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,447,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I looked at some of the things you posted that you ate in the last couple of days. You eat a lot of dairy and nuts and seeds and fruits...but have you considered things like high fiber cereal? Those are the things that hold you over. Apples, though they have fiber, won't hold you over. Neither will nuts and seeds.
I eat plenty of high fiber cereal. I eat a lot of vegetables. I go to the vegetarian bar at Whole Foods and stock up on vegetarian dishes. Yum, yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness