U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,446,126 times

Advertisements

I've been watching Jack LaLanne videos and he says to cut out sugar, processed foods, and fat. I don't eat the sugar anymore, but now I'm thinking I've got to let go of the mayonnaise, whole milk, butter, and cheese too. Jack says that fat contributes to heart disease. Jack also says I need to exercise because that's even more important than nutrition....

anybody else cutting out the fat?

i'm gonna miss the cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 AM

14,146 posts, read 26,219,127 times
How's your cholesterol? If it's high, less fat might be good. Also do you eat 'good' fats like olive oil?

For me a low sugar, low fat diet is setting myself up for failure. It's too restrictive. I know it won't be long till I sabotage myself. I get the best weightloss/maintenance from low carb. I will lose a couple more lbs if I try low fat too. But cutting out both is imho, miserable. You can only eat so many cans of green beans!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 AM

436 posts, read 655,016 times
Fats contribute to blood lipids, thus increasing the cholesterol. Switch to "Smart Balance" mayo and butter products. They even have a peanut butter now. The products contian NO trans fats.

"I an't believe it isn't butter" is the same, but you cannot cook with it, whereas you can with the regular (not LITE) Smart Balance.

Reducing fat intakes, and increasing fibers, vegetables fruits, is always a good idea.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,346,549 times
You do need some fats Greenie as they help the body make Hormones and also help in building all of our trillions of cells that are constantly being created as they all have an Outer Membrane made up of the fats we consume. A great book to read if you ever get the chance is ''Fats that Heal/Fats that Kill'' by Udo Erasmus about how certain fats like the Polyunsaturated omega-3's and Monounsaturated Olive Oils heal our bodies etc...

Anyway so much more to the book but it will teach you all about Fatty Acids and their interactions even down in the Cellular level.....

6/3.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 AM

5,135 posts, read 10,440,785 times
We need fat! I just try to make it mostly good fat, such as olive oil, avocado's, nuts etc. I don't think an occasional piece of cheese will hurt, just do it in moderation. I don't use mayonnaise, try vegenaise instead. It has fat of course, but better for you fat and no cholesterol. Instead of cow's milk, I use rice or soy milk.
I do think getting exercise is very important to health and so is lowering stress levels, through whatever means appeal to you, could be yoga, mediations, taking long walks, or a hot bath, getting together with friends etc.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
You do need some fats Greenie as they help the body make Hormones and also help in building all of our trillions of cells that are constantly being created as they all have an Outer Membrane made up of the fats we consume. A great book to read if you ever get the chance is ''Fats that Heal/Fats that Kill'' by Udo Erasmus about how certain fats like the Polyunsaturated omega-3's and Monounsaturated Olive Oils heal our bodies etc...

Anyway so much more to the book but it will teach you all about Fatty Acids and their interactions even down in the Cellular level.....

6/3.
Well, I need my hormones, especially now in life. I've been trying to eat fresh natural foods, so probably not a lot of fat in those. But Jack Lalanne stays away from milk and milk products. Do I have to cut out cheese and switch to low-fat milk and yogurt and cottage cheese? I guess I can live with that if I have too. Oh, and egg whites. He does not eat the yellow part of the eggs so there goes my scrambled eggs and cheese.

greenie

Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 AM

5,135 posts, read 10,440,785 times
Greenie,
If I were you I would lower the dairy consumption and if you LOVE cheese, eat a little piece of a strong flavored cheese once in a while. If you totally avoid a food you love, you won't be able to stick with it long term.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 AM

436 posts, read 655,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post

6/3.
If fats help the body make hormones, how come there are so many fat people with hormone imbalance?

Cellular membrane is made of fats?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:25 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,346,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
If fats help the body make hormones, how come there are so many fat people with hormone imbalance?

Cellular membrane is made of fats?
Steroid Hormones are Lipid based however never said they have anything to with Hormonal Balance. Just the building Blocks.

All Cellular Membranes are made of 3 classes of Amphipathic Lipids: Phospholids, Glycolipids and Steroids.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 PM

I had three scrambled eggs (minus one egg yolk, which I gave to my dog) with sliced tomato and avocado for breakfast this morning. Afterwards me and my dog went on a 3-mile walk. I got home and lifted weights and ate a banana.

I want to do a better job of exercising and eating. Somebody asked Jack Lalanne if he wanted to live to be a 100. He said, "I don't care how long I live as long as I'm living while I'm alive."

He is so right. I really enjoyed my walk today, the smell of the eucalyptus trees, and all horses, goats, chickens and ponies we saw along the way...

sometimes I spend all day in front of my computer worrying about work and money and all that stuff. I forget how pretty things can be outdoors.

greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness