U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,447,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
my true preference would be to go dashing n crashing and squeeling up to the pearly gates nnnnscreech to a halt....and yell...I'm here to check in and BOY what a ride.
Here's an article that explains how it feels to die in different ways.

Death special: How does it feel to die? - opinion - 13 October 2007 - New Scientist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 23,923 times
Default It's been a year since...

Its been a year since my brother died in a car accident. He died in October 2006. I miss him a lot and wonder what he would do if he was here. I think about death frequently now that my brother is gone. I just wanted to see how others felt about dying and thought i could get some comfort.lol. Now i try to forget about death and i'll start thinking about going on with life.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM

15,370 posts, read 35,408,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
yes....but bring a credit card, just in case, for any incidental charges!
Nope....pay with a bad check n watch em send you back to collect it

Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrunner15 View Post
Its been a year since my brother died in a car accident. He died in October 2006. I miss him a lot and wonder what he would do if he was here. I think about death frequently now that my brother is gone. I just wanted to see how others felt about dying and thought i could get some comfort.lol. Now i try to forget about death and i'll start thinking about going on with life.
Blitzrunner,

What a terrible loss. I don't know what relief there is from something like this, other than time. You were blessed to have someone so special in your life. Some of us never get to experience that at all.

greenie

Old 11-13-2007, 03:30 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,120,850 times
I think about death quite a lot (not a morbid obsession, more a philosophical curiosity). When I was little I was terrified at the prospect of dying but now I've gotten older I've just come to accept it as an inevitability. After all if you don't exist then how can something be unpleasant? In the end there's no point in worrying about it all the time or your life will be pretty depressing and, after all, I'd rather live a short, exciting, fulfilling life than a long, boring one.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 PM

2,111 posts, read 6,438,583 times
I think about death a lot too. On one hand, I find it comforting that when I die, I wont ever have to suffer or feel pain again. But then on the other hand, the way I might die scares me to death...(no pun intended). One of my mothers neighbors just passed the other day, she had lung cancer, but she died peacefully and in her sleep. That is how I want to go. I think it is the "pain" thing that scares most of us. I know it scares me!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I think about death a lot too. On one hand, I find it comforting that when I die, I wont ever have to suffer or feel pain again. But then on the other hand, the way I might die scares me to death...(no pun intended). One of my mothers neighbors just passed the other day, she had lung cancer, but she died peacefully and in her sleep. That is how I want to go. I think it is the "pain" thing that scares most of us. I know it scares me!!!
I'm not worried about the pain. I'm worried about coming face-to-face with my own mortality, knowing this is it, my time is up, no going back now, it's over, throw in your cards...And of course my biggest fear now is that I'm not living my life, I'm not enjoying it enough. I'm working to hard to pay too many bills, and the real party is out there and I'm missing it.

greenie

Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 AM

13,819 posts, read 25,701,003 times
I snore...and it drives my wife crazy. So I tell the doctor, he sends me for a sleep test with all these wires taped to my body. Turns out I have sleep apnea and they give me the dreaded CPAP machine. The thing is my nemesis! Sometimes I use it...sometimes I don't. So, next time at the doctor's he asks me about it and I tell him the truth. He doesn't like my answer. Looking for some positive, I ask him if it helps during the times that I DO use it. He says this: "Sleep apnea is really tough on the heart. If you use the CPAP ALL the time, you might get an extra 5 years out of life. If you use it half of the time, you might get 2.5 years added."

So, since the time gets added onto the end, when I might be in worst shape...why the heck would I want to prolong it??? My current thinking is that I'll just take may chances. If it's so bad on the heart, maybe I'll go of heart attack, rather than some other drawn out painful disease. This is one of those things that advancement in medicine has done! 50 years ago...I'd just be a loud snorer! Now...I got this freakin' machine (or my wife ) to fight with every night!

Living longer shouldn't be the only goal. Living as long as one can...as long as there is a QUALITY of life...should be.

Last edited by jfkIII; 11-14-2007 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM

13,819 posts, read 25,701,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I'm not worried about the pain. I'm worried about coming face-to-face with my own mortality, knowing this is it, my time is up, no going back now, it's over, throw in your cards...
Kind of like the feeling I get right before the roller coaster starts! I want to ride it...but the anticipation of the thing starting rolling is just the opposite! What a dichotomy!!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:11 PM

"As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death." Does Randy think his life was "well used." -- Leonardo da Vinci

Check out how two people live while they are dying:

The Documentary Crazy Sexy Cancer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness