U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 23,909 times

Advertisements

I wish humans didn't have to die and i wish we could live longer.
Ur thoughts and comments? thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,667,690 times
yes. but no sense worrying about it....we are useless to stop it. I'm actually more afraid of how I might die, rather than death itself. I just don't want it to drag out. Quality of life is much more important to me than quantity.

Last edited by jfkIII; 11-08-2007 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 02:45 PM

13,009 posts, read 19,207,366 times
Only when I am in Billings.

Now someone show newbie the rest of the city data forums and where he should post this...

Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM

989 posts, read 3,179,132 times
No, not afraid. We will all get there at some point, no reason to worry about it.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,930,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Only when I am in Billings.

Now someone show newbie the rest of the city data forums and where he should post this...
Although I agree with all the answers so far, I quoted this post because it contains some element of humor (Is Billings really that bad?).

With that said, and assuming the thread was started with sincerity, let me share the following. I have had some experience treating a number of dying patients. I have never been able to predict how they will accept their own mortality. For example, I consult with one transitional care unit with 30 head and neck trauma patients, all are on trachs or respirators, about half of whom are comatose. Some are angry, depressed, and prefer to be heavily medicated to disconnect from reality. Others have adapted to this diminished quality of life with great panache. Despite being able to move only one or two fingers or blink their eyes to communicate yes or no, they smile every time someone comes in the room. As a healthcare professional I make no judgment as to how each person deals with their death. I do find that they use the same mechanisms to deal with the end of life that they did during life. Some fight it as they did adversity during life. Some give up easily because that is how they coped with tough challenges during life. Some patients near death, effectively utilize the strengths (religion, family, etc) that helped them achieve success throughout their life. A number of them exhibit more human dignity and grace than I think I will be able to muster if I am ever in that condition.

Finally, I also agree with the second part of the quote from Dd714. This forum is probably not the appropriate place for this question. IF the following post was started as an intellectual exercise, I recommend you re-read Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' "On Death and Dying" and enroll in a philosophy class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrunner15 View Post
I wish humans didn't have to die and i wish we could live longer. Ur thoughts and comments? thanx
However, if you started this thread because your life circumstances have made this a personal issue for you, I encourage you to share your concerns with friends & family that are your support network or with a knowledgable and caring health professional. While it may be difficult to talk to people close to you, and the anonymity of this forum appears to be a refuge, you may encounter some flippant responses that are hurtful if you are just coming to grips with your own mortality.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 PM

495 posts, read 384,445 times
I wanna' say what does this topic have to do with Montana - but I won't

Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,930,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
I wanna' say what does this topic have to do with Montana - but I won't
I believe posts #3 and #5 already said that using two different styles.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times
I am moving this to Health and Wellness, although it doesn't have much to do with Health either, but perhaps it does since it has to do with the health of the mind that fears death. I even fear it.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 AM

13,386 posts, read 41,502,696 times
I tend to feel the same as Woody Allen:
"I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens."
I'm not afraid of dying in the the abstract sense, but I'm not big on pain and suffering, let alone saying goodbye to everyone.
I would like to face my failing years and final illness with grace and dignity, but when I look at the fact that I was always the kid with the milk mustache or the adult with the pantyhose stuck in my dress, my hopes are not high.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:18 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times
Cil,

I agree with Woody Allen and you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness