U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM

5,182 posts, read 4,569,311 times

Advertisements

I wish these nutrition gurus would make up their minds.

CDC Admits Long-Standing Error in Medical Science - There Is No Benefit In Reducing Salt Intake And It May Even Be Dangerous

How fish oil affects your prostate cancer risk | Fox News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM

13,823 posts, read 24,590,039 times
Just eat and drink whatever you want (that's my philosophy

Old 07-11-2013, 04:45 PM

726 posts, read 1,145,933 times
You can
t believe everything that you read/hear. Fact is eggs used to be bad, butter too! Don't let these "what-ever's" dictate how you live your life. Use your own "common sense".

Depending on your age, if you are about 50, just eating one chip will raise your blood pressure in a matter of 15 minutes. Try it on your way to the Doc's next time.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Just eat and drink whatever you want (that's my philosophy
Had a grandmother who said the same thing. Died at 95. Of course the health food gurus would probably say that she would've lived to 105 had she eaten more weeds & seeds.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM

11,561 posts, read 11,181,295 times
It really does get ridiculous; one time they tell us eggs are bad for us and to not eat more than a few a week; next, it's coffee is bad - but they changed their mind on that one too. I read today where they are now saying that diet sodas are bad for us, that drinking the sodas with sugar is better.

I can tell if a certain food disagrees with me and I just stop eating it; while other foods that are supposed to be bad for me make me feel better. ??

I do believe that the chemicals in most of the foods are bad for us. I even read one time that the hormones given to cows can result in the milk we drink causing breast cancer!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,663,967 times
According to the study, adults still consume an average of 3,400 mg/day, well above the current federal guideline of less than 2,300 mg daily. Evidence has shown that reducing sodium intake reduces blood pressure and the risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD) and stroke. The IOM committee also concluded that studies on health outcomes are inconsistent in quality and insufficient in quantity to determine that sodium intakes below 2,300 mg/ day either increase or decrease the risk of heart disease, stroke, or all-cause mortality in the general U.S. population. So if the average is 3,400 mg/day, you are most likely better off if you reduce it to 2,300 mg/day, but there no strong evidence to reduce it below that.

This appears to be factual regarding the fish oil and prostate cancer. The findings confirm a 2011 study published by the same Fred Hutch scientific team that reported a similar link between high blood concentrations of DHA and a more than doubling of the risk for developing high-grade prostate cancer. The latest study also confirms results from a large European study.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
According to the study, adults still consume an average of 3,400 mg/day, well above the current federal guideline of less than 2,300 mg daily. Evidence has shown that reducing sodium intake reduces blood pressure and the risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD) and stroke. The IOM committee also concluded that studies on health outcomes are inconsistent in quality and insufficient in quantity to determine that sodium intakes below 2,300 mg/ day either increase or decrease the risk of heart disease, stroke, or all-cause mortality in the general U.S. population. So if the average is 3,400 mg/day, you are most likely better off if you reduce it to 2,300 mg/day, but there no strong evidence to reduce it below that.
Blood pressure in 60% of hypertensives is responsive to level of Na intake.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,075,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Had a grandmother who said the same thing. Died at 95. Of course the health food gurus would probably say that she would've lived to 105 had she eaten more weeds & seeds.
I had an uncle who died of a heart attack at age 50, leaving behind a wife and two young children. His side of the family had a history of heart disease. He probably would have been better off if he would have watched what he ate, but that wasn't something they were used to doing back then. There were also people in the family (a different side) who lived into their 90s and even 100, but they were just a few that were lucky to have better genes.

I think your grandmother was lucky to have had "good genes."

Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I had an uncle who died of a heart attack at age 50, leaving behind a wife and two young children. His side of the family had a history of heart disease. He probably would have been better off if he would have watched what he ate, but that wasn't something they were used to doing back then. There were also people in the family (a different side) who lived into their 90s and even 100, but they were just a few that were lucky to have better genes.

I think your grandmother was lucky to have had "good genes."
Nothing beats good genes .... or a good pair of jeans.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,075,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Nothing beats good genes .... or a good pair of jeans.
True. At least jeans can be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness