Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:42 PM

631 posts, read 1,072,325 times

Advertisements

I wonder what modern ways to examine a stomach are in order to reveal such diseases as gastritis, gastroparesis, cancer. Back in the day I remember there was a pretty painful method of swallowing down some tube. Is it the only way? Are there any alternatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
The EGD is still used but you are so out of it you don't know. I had one and the last thing I remember is "you're going to feel sleepy" and the next thing was "all done." Of course, this was in a hospital OR with an anesthetist who used propofol (my fav drug for sedation) in my IV. I had no soreness after, either. By the time I checked out, I drove myself home. Propofol is a great drug when used properly.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 PM

631 posts, read 1,072,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The EGD is still used but you are so out of it you don't know. I had one and the last thing I remember is "you're going to feel sleepy" and the next thing was "all done." Of course, this was in a hospital OR with an anesthetist who used propofol (my fav drug for sedation) in my IV. I had no soreness after, either. By the time I checked out, I drove myself home. Propofol is a great drug when used properly.
Thank you. I'm just curios why we still don't have any other alternatives. Say one doesn't have to swallow down anything if he wants his kidneys or liver to be examined since there is an ultrasonic scanning. I also wonder whether you were you conscious or asleep during the procedure.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Unconscious. Propofol knocks you out quickly and is very predictable in the right hands. It has a good "wake up" as you are not cold or woozy like with other, older anesthetics. It truly is like turning on and off a light switch.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:18 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Agree with above. Just had my EGD last month. Very easy procedure. They put an IV in your arm and O2 in your nose, and a thing in your mouth and you go to sleep and never feel a thing. I even got photos of my colon and esophagas, wwhich although icky, I might frame and keep.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
I wonder what modern ways to examine a stomach are in order to reveal such diseases as gastritis, gastroparesis, cancer. Back in the day I remember there was a pretty painful method of swallowing down some tube. Is it the only way? Are there any alternatives?
Gastroparesis is determined by drinking some gunk and having an external view by something (xray?), it's been a while so I can't remember.

When they wanted to check a bile duct obstruction they did an ERCP. Camera down the throat but knocked out.

I had some crazy form of gastritis where the air was outside of the digestive system and that was determined by some external machine like xray, mri or something.

I be Queen of the messed up digestive tract!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 PM

Fluroscan?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
If you are going under for a colonoscopy, see if they can do an EGD during the same session. I did it this way. Checked for acid reflux.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Unconscious. Propofol knocks you out quickly and is very predictable in the right hands. It has a good "wake up" as you are not cold or woozy like with other, older anesthetics. It truly is like turning on and off a light switch.
From my experience, you wake up as if you had a nice nap, it is a really great feeling, I can understand why/how MJ got so addicted.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
If it was painful, it was done a long time ago or wrong.

I had one done a couple years ago due to bleeding, I got the shot in the IV while they were getting ready .. sprayed some stuff in my throat .. next thing was the nurse waking me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness