Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times

Advertisements

Anthing that doesn't flow naturally sounds forced even strangers who have no idea who I am start calling me by my first name ex: "sugah, what brings you here today" or" Mrs Ray please sit here" But I really don't think it's important, they are just trying to be nice or polite. I just know it's not natural.

I had an Art teacher who used to call us "young ladies" and it kind of bothers us. He wasn't that old(maybe 10 years older) so maybe that's why we found it annoying. I don't think this teacher ever call me by my name and he spoke to us individually very often while we worked in our masterpieces. Maybe our work was so ugly he just wanted to forget our existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I went to a new doctor today and three people there, including the doctor addressed me in the very patronizing and condescending way of either Dearie, Sweetheart (doctor used that word) or Honey. It's not like I'm a fragile little granny. I'm 5'10" and weigh more than I should.
It was a podiatrist office and they probably see mostly "senior citizens" and I heard them address others that way- both male and female.
My husband just told me he gets called those names himself which surprised me as I thought it was mostly to women. He says he thinks people who call seniors that think they are being friendly and personal but every person I've ever talked to about this say they detest it as well.

I remember my own mother being called those names in retail establishes and she wasn't even a senior citizen. maybe I get my disdain from her. In any event it is so disrespectful and I think the doctor heard me say "Oh God don't call me that!" as he was leaving the exam room. I don't know but he sure didn't address me like that during the rest of the visit.
Why not? women call me that all the time..but they sure wouldn't like it if I called them honey, babe, or chick. It's kind of annoying.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
This. Many teachers do this too, on days when we're tired and the names of the kids aren't coming fast enough. It's easier to call someone, "Hon," than call them John when they're really Steve and John is their brother you taught 2 years ago. In a doctor's office where they're changing patients every 20 minutes, it would be even harder to keep straight.

And I wonder if it's just a regional difference. I'm called those things all the time.
WTH is wrong with Ma'am, or Sir? Unless, of course, one can't tell if its a him or her....then, well, just ignore them, I guess...

Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
This. Many teachers do this too, on days when we're tired and the names of the kids aren't coming fast enough. It's easier to call someone, "Hon," than call them John when they're really Steve and John is their brother you taught 2 years ago. In a doctor's office where they're changing patients every 20 minutes, it would be even harder to keep straight.

And I wonder if it's just a regional difference. I'm called those things all the time.
I do the same! If the doctor calls me by my first name, I figure we're on a first name basis!

I also respond in kind with office staff. Ok, dear, fill out these forms.....fine, thanks, oh, sweetheart, do you have a pen?

I find the whole sweetie pie routine to be demeaning, when its already a power setup. You're NOT in the doctor's office because you want to be there, but because you need to be there. Typically you don't have muich control over the situation. If you sit for 2+ hours in an overcrowded, uncomfortable waiting room, well, you really don't have many options if you're truly sick, and if you weren't sick, you wouldn't be waiting 2+ hours! It doesn't really matter much if doctor office staff are polite or downright rude, you're not going to pick up and leave. Respond back and they will just "forget" you, leave you there until the office closes, and tell the doctor you're a no-show! They couldn't get away with that attitude in any other business setting, like, a store, restaurant, etc. Usually doctor offices get the bottom of the barrel for staff, and pay accordingly, ..........I decided to just quit going to doctors! Just don't get sick! There, sound like a plan

Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I refer to ALL my doctors as "Doc." That's what they are to me when I see them professonally, or run into them in the supermarket, or when they come in as one of -my- customers at my place of business. In my head, that is their name. As long as they don't call me Sweetie, I'm okay with them calling me by name, by formal name, by some polite term of endearment. Sweetie just grates on my nerves.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:41 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
We always called our combat medic "doc". If he was saving my life, I'd call him all sorts of endearing names.

Really, why are people so sensitive these days. It doesn't amount to the "n" word. I do show respect to my physicians though and when in hospital, I try to have a good relationship with the nursing staff although with some it isn't possible so you have to elevate the language to get attention.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 AM

168 posts, read 314,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post

Really, why are people so sensitive these days.
Because respect has to go both ways. If a doctor can call me whatever he wants, I can call him whatever I want as well.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Because respect has to go both ways. If a doctor can call me whatever he wants, I can call him whatever I want as well.
So you're suggesting then, that if a doctor is doing what -you- personally feel is the equivalent of stooping to low levels of humanity -

that means it's okay for you to stoop to equally low levels of humanity right back.

That seems to me a pretty juvenile attitude.

"You called me a dweeb? Oh yeah? Well - well - you're a Dweeb-Dork, so there! Neener neener!"

Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 AM

168 posts, read 314,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So you're suggesting then, that if a doctor is doing what -you- personally feel is the equivalent of stooping to low levels of humanity -

that means it's okay for you to stoop to equally low levels of humanity right back.

That seems to me a pretty juvenile attitude.

"You called me a dweeb? Oh yeah? Well - well - you're a Dweeb-Dork, so there! Neener neener!"
Oh well that wouldn't happen anyway because if a doctor called me anything other than my name or Sir, I would be out the door.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:23 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
My doctor called me by my first name, so I called him by his first name! What, exactly, is wrong with that, Anon?
And when the receptionists call me 'hon' I return the compliment.
No offence intended, so none taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness