U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 04:23 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,733,987 times

Advertisements

NewAgeRedneck - you crack me up!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 PM

3,359 posts, read 11,120,312 times
Don't kid yourself. This tax has much more to do with a money grab than cutting down people's smoking. What would they do if everyone quit and they had no access to these dollars that they're getting use to?

Once the state govts and now the federal found out they could rake in billions from tobacco companies and continue to do so from smokers they won't easily let go. How much of those funds were used for quitting programs as promised and how much was used to close the gap in their general spending? Wouldn't be surprised if liquor was next.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:39 AM

422 posts, read 1,810,532 times
raising taxes on cigarettes wont stop people from smoking. You are just going to make smokers mad and they will obtain their cigarettes illegally. Doesnt anyone remember the prohibition on alcohol back in the 1920's and early 30's? They made alcohol illegal.This didnt stop people from drinking. They just made their own alcohol,in other words, Moonshine.If people want to smoke,they will smoke. I am not advocating smoking.I hate when someone smokes around me. I cant stand the smoke but i dont think you by raising taxes, people will just stop smoking.You shouldnt smoke around babies and children though.This is not as much of a no brainer as you would think. I have seen people smoking while driving their cars with the windows up and kids and babies in the back seat. I know in certain states it is illegal to smoke in a car if there are children present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness