U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,320,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Yep, the dark chocolate is good for you but still high in calories for those of us that need to lose some weight.
I guess that will be one of the next things to be taxed.
But you're right. Doesn't it make more sense to eat chocolate than smoke cigarettes? At least it smells and tastes better, but that's my opinion and I'm sure some of the smokers will disagree.
I don't like chocolate... I know, it's weird...I'm a woman, I'm programmed to love chocolate. I just...don't.

You're right that it smells better, though. I'd rather smell chocolate than cigarette smoke. Smoking is such a filthy disgusting habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 15,043,764 times
I have been smoking at least a pack a day for 40 years. I have tried to quit several times before. I have been to endless smoking cessation programs. I have paid big bucks for some of those. I have read everything there is about smoking and quitting. I have talked to everyone who knows anything about it, to ex-smokers, etc.

I work in healthcare and know that lung cancer, although statistically significant, is NOT the only thing that goes bad in your body due to cigarettes. I have seen tracheotomy patients puffing away through the trach tubes. It's not the nicotine that is the worst thing. It's the other 4,000 chemicals that go into the cigarette. The nicotine is the addictive element.

Every cigarette one smokes cuts 5.5 minutes of your life. Multiply that by 40 years of 20+ cigarettes per day. Each and every day.

Nicotine is MORE addictive than cocaine or heroin or alcohol. Smokers don't think of health or money. The cigarette is the first priority. Why don't they have detox centers for smokers like they do for other drugs or alcohol addictions?

You can quit but you have to have a very strong personal reason to do so, and it takes most people at least 5 attempts with any and all methods, will power, a support system. And everybody is different and reacts differently.

I have to say that non-smokers have no idea what they're talking about when they think that it's a matter of "just quit".

And after all that, I smoked my last cigarette last night at 5:30 pm. I have been taking Chantix for a week now and I'm in a smoking cessation program. Hope it works this time.

But I didn't stop because of a health scare, cancer risk, costs or any of that stuff that some might think would be enough to make anybody come to their senses.

Last edited by vpcats; 11-13-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,597,649 times
VP, I remember that you've been struggling with this. I just want to wish you the best of luck!!! You are SO persistent and intent on quitting and it's just GOT to happen for you. Good luck and let me know how you're doing.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 15,043,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
VP, I remember that you've been struggling with this. I just want to wish you the best of luck!!! You are SO persistent and intent on quitting and it's just GOT to happen for you. Good luck and let me know how you're doing.
Thanks Jammie! Yep. It's gonna happen. I count every second that I don't give in. I'm even a little dizzy right now but, I will do it.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 AM

541 posts, read 1,139,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
If they are going to tax cigarettes then they should tax alcohol as well. Anything you have to show an id to purchase should be taxed. Think of how much money they would make then. There are way more drinkers than smokers.
I agree that alcohol should be taxed for this as well. Drinking kills more people than smoking. Look at the accidents from drunk drivers.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,131,031 times
I am more for banning cigerettes than taxing. I am also for prohibition. Of course nothing works, not even taxing as people will find a way to pay for them. Anyway, those are my views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness