Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times

Advertisements

I've had a sore throat and was feeling miserable with a possible virus for a week now and yesterday it turned into some kind of cold (sneezing, congestion etc.) but I have a terrible taste in my mouth which gets worse when I eat something. Even drinks taste weird.

I now have a "screamin'" headache to boot .

I wonder if it's sinus and how I would know if I had a sinus infection. Also if I do have one, what would I have to do for it? Can I avoid antibiotics?

Just tried to Sudafed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 PM

Default *Bad (not bade) taste in mouth

sorry, typing too fast as usual

Old 08-04-2013, 09:55 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I've had a sore throat and was feeling miserable with a possible virus for a week now and yesterday it turned into some kind of cold (sneezing, congestion etc.) but I have a terrible taste in my mouth which gets worse when I eat something. Even drinks taste weird.

I now have a "screamin'" headache to boot .

I wonder if it's sinus and how I would know if I had a sinus infection. Also if I do have one, what would I have to do for it? Can I avoid antibiotics?

Just tried to Sudafed.
I would suggest you see an ENT or an allergist for what probably is a sinus infection. They and only they can determine the exact cause and solution. Antibiotics can only be prescribed by a doc.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
It is possible that it is an infected tooth and you are tasting the infection.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:11 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
If you had a sinus infection, most often you would have pain and pressure where your sinus cavities are.

Do you feel any drainage going down the back of your throat from your nose? You may have PND Post Nasal Drip. That can happen with a cold and can sometimes also irritate your throat.

I have allergies and sometimes this happens.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM

I went to the doc and got some antibiotics, nasonex and sudafed ~ I have a sinus infection and he say's it's from allergies ~ I have post nasal drip. My nose was not clogged though...the congestion is all in the back somewhere. I have no pain in the frontal sinus cavities at all - mine is in some weird sinus cavities further back and even in my neck....weird.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Untreated allergies can lead to sinus infections so try to keep on top of them. If the sudafed works, great. If not try Claritin, Zyrtec or the many generics in the pharmacy. An antihistamine (which most allergy meds contain) can dry up some of that PND (it's in the back of your throat). Hope you feel better.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Glad you got treated, and I agree with myrc about treating the allergies, if you have them. I know my fall allergies are worse than my spring ones, so I keep Zyrtec on hand...it's coming right up! Pretty colors but a bother to my nose!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Untreated allergies can lead to sinus infections so try to keep on top of them. If the sudafed works, great. If not try Claritin, Zyrtec or the many generics in the pharmacy. An antihistamine (which most allergy meds contain) can dry up some of that PND (it's in the back of your throat). Hope you feel better.
Thanks, that's what the doctor said...I didn't really know I had allergies - I never used to.Mine are in the back sinus cavities somehow. Sudafed is the only thing that works for me - Claritin is like taking nothing for my type of allergies.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks, that's what the doctor said...I didn't really know I had allergies - I never used to.Mine are in the back sinus cavities somehow. Sudafed is the only thing that works for me - Claritin is like taking nothing for my type of allergies.
I didn't realize for a very long time that the "colds" I had were actual allergies either. Now that I know, I know when my nose starts feeling strange that its time to hit the antihistamine and double my decongestant if one tablet doesn't help. And I quit smoking and notice my allergy symptoms much quicker now.

Zyrtec and Claritin (i believe) have a different active ingredient (AI) than the other. If one doesn't help, try the other. I'm not sure what the AI is in Sudafed. My mom's doctor suggested she could take a 24 hr Claritin and then 12 hr later take a 24 hr Zyrtec. This works better for her and me when we're really suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness