Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,119,753 times

Advertisements

I went off hormonal BC but now want to get back on it. The big issue is that my BF and I are getting married in the spring and want to start trying for a baby in April-May.

Pretty much everything I've read about hormonal birth control states that there may be a significant delay in regaining fertility...except for the NuvaRing, which I tried and didn't like because it made me sore.

I don't know much about BC so if someone could maybe point me in the right direction...or tell me to just use barrier methods because I'm being insane...I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 AM

7,394 posts, read 19,280,604 times
IMO, If you're planning for a baby several months from now, I would stay off the pill and use something else, not so much because of the fertility issue but the dangers of the hormones to your baby. I think it's important to stay drug free if you're planning a pregnancy.
The pill is easy and convenient (unfortunately this will be an inconvenience to you and your boyfriend) but planning to have a healthy pregnancy and baby will be worth it.
Try the gel you insert into yourself, or something that will not mess up your system and save the pill until after the baby is born.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
IMO, If you're planning for a baby several months from now, I would stay off the pill and use something else, not so much because of the fertility issue but the dangers of the hormones to your baby. I think it's important to stay drug free if you're planning a pregnancy.
The pill is easy and convenient (unfortunately this will be an inconvenience to you and your boyfriend) but planning to have a healthy pregnancy and baby will be worth it.
Try the gel you insert into yourself, or something that will not mess up your system and save the pill until after the baby is born.
Gel? What gel?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,713,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Gel? What gel?
spermicide

Old 11-12-2007, 12:14 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,363,353 times
My gf recently had pulmonary embolisms (blood clots) and one of the factors was hormonal birth control.

https://preventdvt.org/default.aspx

Click "Risk Assesment" in the bottom right.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,099,452 times
this is a high risk form of birth control
many couples intend to get married but sometimes things dont work out.
take care of yourself.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
spermicide
Oh, I wouldn't trust that to keep me from getting PG.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
My gf recently had pulmonary embolisms (blood clots) and one of the factors was hormonal birth control.

https://preventdvt.org/default.aspx

Click "Risk Assesment" in the bottom right.
I used to take the pill so I'm aware of the risks of blood clots; it's something I'd rather avoid. Preferably after I'm done having kids, one of us will get sterilized so we won't have to worry about it anymore. He has volunteered.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:37 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,363,353 times
Bloods kill more Americans than AIDS, traffic fatalities, and breast cancer combined. About 300k Americans die each year from them. It just takes one to end up in the wrong place and you're done. This is what NBC reporter David Bloom died from in Iraq. My fiance was miserable when the clots moved into her lungs, screaming and in serious pain. She had a a fever and was hospitalized for a few days and had to get shots in her stomach. She has to take Coumadin now (often called a blood thinner but it really is an anti-coagulant) and get her blood checked at least once a week. I wouldn't wish what she went through on my worst enemy.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,280,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Gel? What gel?

Ortho Options Conceptrol. It's a gel that you insert up inside you.
You can find it at drugstores and Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness