Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 12:23 PM

8,755 posts, read 9,452,965 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I have to wonder if my doctor reads my history chart before prescribing medicines for me. The best medicine I ever took for my acid reflux issues was protonix, but my insurance no longer covers it. I understand due to lack of success with some other meds, my doctor is trying various meds to see if anything else will help, but considering some other preexisting conditions and meds I take, I would think at the very least she would give me a heads up on possible side effects when introducing me to new drugs.

Last night I took Lansoprazole, (Prevacid,) aside from becoming nauseous, and having and achy stomach from it, I nearly passed out. That's one medicine, I won't ever be taking again. I know I probably should report these symptoms, but I'm getting tired of having to go to the doctor's office so frequently. I'll let her know on my next scheduled visit.

Anyone have any issues with, prescription brand Lansoprazole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 06:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,041,488 times
TRosa: I cannot take any of the Proton pump inhibitors, cause they all make me nauseated. I think I have had them all, with similar results. So I doubt the Prevacid is going to be good for you, if you couldn't take it without stomach issues. They say it gets better the longer you take it, but I hated feeling lousy from a pill, so I quit. My gerd is there but not that bad in terms of symptoms so I elected to take nothing but acedolpholus (probiotic).

Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,018,296 times
Protonix has been generic for awhile.

Pantoprazole Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx

Old 08-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
TRosa: I cannot take any of the Proton pump inhibitors, cause they all make me nauseated. I think I have had them all, with similar results. So I doubt the Prevacid is going to be good for you, if you couldn't take it without stomach issues. They say it gets better the longer you take it, but I hated feeling lousy from a pill, so I quit. My gerd is there but not that bad in terms of symptoms so I elected to take nothing but acedolpholus (probiotic).
Appreciate your response. I have a hiatal hernia and If not for the fact that I also have a schatzki's ring that caused me a great deal of problems with food passage, I would have prefered not to bother with any of the meds either, but, the protonix, was practically a life saver and was the one out of others that had been tried which worked very well for me without any complications that I'm aware of. I can go for a good period of time without taking this type of med these days, but I still have some bad symptoms ever so often if I eat or drink the wrong things, like coffee and chocolate.

Schatzki ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Protonix has been generic for awhile.

I have a shatzki's ring and
Pantoprazole Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx
Thank you for that link, I will look into it, the generic is what my previous doctor prescribed, I would think it was the same this doctor had done, but I can't be certain, what went wrong. It doesn't look too expensive if I have to buy out of pocket, then I rather have a tried and true formular that works for me.

Again thank you.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,041,488 times
Yes, I too have the hiatal hernia as well as the Shatzki ring but the doc did "clip" it with the first EGD and a couple years later, I had it dilated with another EGD. I don't have the trouble swallowing like I used to. I am grateful not to have to take the PPI drugs cause I feel so much better without them.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, I too have the hiatal hernia as well as the Shatzki ring but the doc did "clip" it with the first EGD and a couple years later, I had it dilated with another EGD. I don't have the trouble swallowing like I used to. I am grateful not to have to take the PPI drugs cause I feel so much better without them.
For whatever reason my GI docs felt the surgical risk weren't worth it in my case, the med helped tremendously and I rarely encounter the problems to the degree I did when I was first diagnosed. But I do need the medicine for maintenance and like I said, no problems occurred with protonix. I will follow-up with my doctor on the next visit to see if I can get her to write the script for protonix if it's within my out of pocket budget. I only find that I need to take the med a couple of times a month at most these days as long as I continue to eat a more healthy diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness