Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times

Advertisements

Ugggghh i'm so freaking out right now.
I've been having re-occurring bouts of sore throats and tonsilitis all Fall now and it's gotten to the point where my doc is suggesting the removal of my tonsils.
Needless to say, I'm scared, nervous and don't want to have to do it, however I've been on 4 courses of anti-biotics this Fall alone. I cannot keep this anti-biotic taking up, I get it, but aren't there any alternatives?

Has any gone through with the procedure? If so, how was the recovery period? I have heard horror stories about it and am extremely nervous. I am praying (something I rarely even do) that this clears up, otherwise I'm left with no choice.

If you've had your tonsils removed, please feel free to share how the procedure went. I'm dreading it, but each that passes where I dont feel well, the reality of it becomes clearer. . . it's gonna have to happen.
I'm a 30 year old adult. Kill me now please jk....but seriously im kinda bummed. Hate surgery.

Last edited by OptimusPrime69; 10-17-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I had it done when I was 4. I am 40 now. I went through watching my kids be sick all the time when they were young and they both ended up having their tonsils and adenoids removed.

Recovery is very quick and the surgery is not horrible. I have not heard horror stories.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
had mine removed at age 13. Recovery was slow for me but not too bad. I was used to having constant sore throats so until I healed completely I felt as though it was just another sore throat.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:17 PM

468 posts, read 1,542,767 times
I had mine removed when I was in my early thirties. They had swollen to almost twice their normal size and were causing several problems.

I remember waking up from the surgery feeling groggy, but with little throat pain. The doctor came in and told me that they had a difficult time waking me up from the anesthesia. He asked how I felt, and I told him that my throat didn't hurt much. He said that would change once the pain meds started to wear off.

He gave me a list of high calorie foods to eat, and drink, and a prescription for more pain meds.

The first evening back home wasn't bad. I slept most of the time. However, the next morning is when the pain hit. I took my pain meds, and tried to eat the items that were on the list. But, swallowing was extremely difficult.

After a week of not eating, and drinking very little, I knew that something was wrong. I went to the emergency room. The doctor there took one look at my throat and immediately gave me a steroid shot. He said that my throat was nearly swollen completely shut. They started me on an IV and had me admitted within an hour.

I went through 5 IV bags in 24 hours because I was so dehydrated. Sometime within that 24 hour period they gave me another steroid shot. After the swelling in my throat subsided I was able to eat small bites of food and drink some water. It took another week before I was able to eat and drink normally without too much discomfort. In that two week period I lost 20 lbs.

It took nearly a month before I could swallow without any pain at all, and to regain my strength.

Some people can fly through the surgery without hardly any down time at all. I wasn't so lucky.

Hopefully you will be one of those who can sit back, enjoy the time off, enjoy the ice cream, and say, "Hey, that wasn't so bad."

Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
I had mine removed when I was in my early thirties. They had swollen to almost twice their normal size and were causing several problems.

I remember waking up from the surgery feeling groggy, but with little throat pain. The doctor came in and told me that they had a difficult time waking me up from the anesthesia. He asked how I felt, and I told him that my throat didn't hurt much. He said that would change once the pain meds started to wear off.

He gave me a list of high calorie foods to eat, and drink, and a prescription for more pain meds.

The first evening back home wasn't bad. I slept most of the time. However, the next morning is when the pain hit. I took my pain meds, and tried to eat the items that were on the list. But, swallowing was extremely difficult.

After a week of not eating, and drinking very little, I knew that something was wrong. I went to the emergency room. The doctor there took one look at my throat and immediately gave me a steroid shot. He said that my throat was nearly swollen completely shut. They started me on an IV and had me admitted within an hour.

I went through 5 IV bags in 24 hours because I was so dehydrated. Sometime within that 24 hour period they gave me another steroid shot. After the swelling in my throat subsided I was able to eat small bites of food and drink some water. It took another week before I was able to eat and drink normally without too much discomfort. In that two week period I lost 20 lbs.

It took nearly a month before I could swallow without any pain at all, and to regain my strength.

Some people can fly through the surgery without hardly any down time at all. I wasn't so lucky.

Hopefully you will be one of those who can sit back, enjoy the time off, enjoy the ice cream, and say, "Hey, that wasn't so bad."
This is exactly what I am deathly afraid of.
I wish so bad I was not afflicted with this.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I had it done when I was 4. I am 40 now. I went through watching my kids be sick all the time when they were young and they both ended up having their tonsils and adenoids removed.

Recovery is very quick and the surgery is not horrible. I have not heard horror stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
had mine removed at age 13. Recovery was slow for me but not too bad. I was used to having constant sore throats so until I healed completely I felt as though it was just another sore throat.
A reminder that the recovery and pain levels are VERY different between children and adults for this procedure.

I have heard nothing but horror stories for adults, unfortunately. My tonsils have been permanently swollen following lymphoma treatment and I regularly get tonsil stones caught behind them, which in turn leads to a bout of tonsillitis. One of my tonsils is so swollen that it is constantly touching my uvula. Despite this, both my doctor and oncologist strongly suggest against getting my tonsils removed because recovery will be awful and take a minimum of 2 weeks. I'm only 26.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:51 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I was a kid and it was fairly routine back then. I had my tonsils and adenoids out at the same time. I assume I was getting sick a lot but I was only 6 and don't remember much, but it was a week before I went back to school.

My adult kids never had theirs out, I don't think it's routine anymore.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:57 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
I had mine out at 6, back in the 1950's...2 of my 3 kids had them taken out as teenagers,
they are in their 40's now.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:33 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,970,309 times
My sister said it was really bad but then again, she's a self-admitted wuss when it comes to pain. She was 19 when she had them taken out. Still, it's not like it's brain surgery or something. They're essentially just nipping out a couple of lymph nodes in the back of your mouth.

It might help to keep perspective and realize it's a fairly minor surgery, though you still want to take good care of yourself while recovering and healing from it too of course.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:43 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
I also was a child when mine were removed, (maybe 55 years ago). About the only thing I can remember is waking up in a little alcove, (was going to be an elevator shaft some day), and eating a whole lot of ice cream. Procedure was performed due to a misdiagnosed ear infection. I have a slight loss-of-hearing due to the misdiagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness