U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2007, 05:34 AM
 
5,352 posts, read 11,515,610 times
Reputation: 13179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
THANKS TO ALL!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Not to start a debate but I think people need to be more informed with these chemicals we put in our kids bodies so fast while they are in a critical developement state before just assuming that they have to. Here is a link to some info that pertains to vaccinations half to 3/4 down.

Council for Responsible Genetics (http://www.gene-watch.org/genewatch/articles/16-2herbert_silverman.html - broken link)
And I think that people who refuse to have their children vaccinated put ALL children at risk now and in the future for diseases that are now well controlled but won't necessarily stay that way....

Also understand that people that don't vaccinate their children are in effect counting on the majority of parents that DO vaccinate to keep their own children healthy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 AM
 
Location: morrisville
336 posts, read 1,403,278 times
Reputation: 207
bluedevilz, if your children are vaccinated, and you believe that they work, why would you care if your children are around non-vaccinated children????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 AM
 
168 posts, read 1,098,239 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Not to start a debate but I think people need to be more informed with these chemicals we put in our kids bodies so fast while they are in a critical developement state before just assuming that they have to.
Well, that pretty much DOES start a debate. I'll just say this...there are risks in everything, including vaccines. There is also what is called social responsibility. My children have taken those risks so that not only they won't get those diseases, but also so that children who have compromised immune systems or whose vaccines did not work completely, will be protected. My children (and others in the schools) have taken the risk so that children who are not vaccinated will not get the diseases. If you have a valid reason (compromised immune system, etc) not to have the vaccinations, then luckily enough of our children do have them that your child should be OK. If you aren't getting them b/c there is a risk associated with vaccinating, then you are selfish. Plain and simple. You want us to take the risk with our kids so you don't have to. And you probably haven't spent a lot of time abroad. I lived in Africa and let me tell you--those diseases are alive and well there, and if you saw all the children with polio crawling along in the streets in the capitals, you might just decide your child should actually be protected from this disease. You are taking THAT risk over the vaccine risk. You are putting MY children at risk b/c you don't want yours at risk. Moderator cut: put down

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-15-2007 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: put down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 AM
 
168 posts, read 1,098,239 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2 View Post
bluedevilz, if your children are vaccinated, and you believe that they work, why would you care if your children are around non-vaccinated children????????????
No vaccine is 100% effective for everyone.

If your child gets polio from a student from abroad (for example), it is entirely possible that a fully vaccinated child could contract the disease. Vaccinations do not work 100% for everyone. Additionally, some children cannot have the vaccines b/c of medical conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:28 AM
 
Location: morrisville
336 posts, read 1,403,278 times
Reputation: 207
you said, "If you aren't getting them b/c there is a risk associated with vaccinating, Moderator cut: quoting deleted post Plain and simple. You want us to take the risk with our kids so you don't have to."


i never asked you to vaccinate your children for mine......
you are vaccinating your children because you believe they work, you believe they will protect your child from polio, the mumps, and oh dear, the dreaded CHICKEN POX. therefore, non vaccinated children should pose no threat.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-15-2007 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: quoting deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 AM
 
47 posts, read 238,433 times
Reputation: 24
I'm not sure if people realize this is not always a black or white situation. What I mean is that vaccinations do not have to be all or nothing. There are some parents who seriously weigh and research the risks of each vaccine to determine what is best for their children. They may choose, for example, to vaccinate their children for all except for chicken pox. Maybe they're not comfortable with the relative newness of the vaccine or that the vaccine does not confer life-long immunity. These parents, despite having vaccinated against all other diseases, will still have to file a medical or religious exemption with the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 5,372,609 times
Reputation: 1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2 View Post
you said, "If you aren't getting them b/c there is a risk associated with vaccinating, Moderator cut: quoting deleted postPlain and simple. You want us to take the risk with our kids so you don't have to."


i never asked you to vaccinate your children for mine......
you are vaccinating your children because you believe they work, you believe they will protect your child from polio, the mumps, and oh dear, the dreaded CHICKEN POX. therefore, non vaccinated children should pose no threat.
If your child is the only one in a room of 100 who's not vaccinated, your right, your child will pose a minimal risk. As percentage of kids who do not get vaccinated increases to 10%-30%-50%, their ability to spread an epidemic does pose a risk. So as long as you are the only parent holding these views, it's no big deal. However, the opinion appears to be spreading, and will likely lead to the resurgence of once quashed diseases that will have much greater effects on many more children than the real and imagined risks posed by the vaccinations themselves.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-15-2007 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: quoting deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
 
5,352 posts, read 11,515,610 times
Reputation: 13179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2 View Post
you said, "If you aren't getting them b/c there is a risk associated with vaccinating, Moderator cut: orphaned. Plain and simple. You want us to take the risk with our kids so you don't have to."


i never asked you to vaccinate your children for mine......
you are vaccinating your children because you believe they work, you believe they will protect your child from polio, the mumps, and oh dear, the dreaded CHICKEN POX. therefore, non vaccinated children should pose no threat.
I vaccinate because I BELIEVE they work?????

No I vaccinate because I KNOW they work, this is an undeniable fact.....

Vaccines for diseases such as mumps, smallpox and polio are among THE greatest feats in the history of medicine, if not THE SINGLE greatest innovation in medicine....this isn't something you get to choose to believe in or not.....

Non vaccinated children do pose a threat, vaccines don't work unless everyone or nearly everyone receives the vaccine, otherwise you risk maintaining a pool of carriers for diseases that should be nearly eradicated...

As more folks choose not to "risk" the vaccine for their kids they are undeniably counting on the parents in the VAST majority that do vaccinate to keep their own children from harm....this is wrong....

As stated, no vaccine is 100% effective, but they can be very close, if a vaccine is 95% effective your non-vaccinated child potentially puts my child at risk for diseases that they should not have to worry about...

Vaccines are a public health measure, so yes, it is everyones responsibility to vaccinate their children, not only for your kids sake but for mine.....

Don't want to vaccinate? Don't send them to school....

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-15-2007 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: orphaned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 AM
 
Location: morrisville
336 posts, read 1,403,278 times
Reputation: 207
how can you say "I KNOW they work, this is an undeniable fact....." and then go on to say "As stated, no vaccine is 100% effective, but they can be very close, if a vaccine is 95% effective your non-vaccinated child potentially puts my child at risk for diseases that they should not have to worry about..."

either you trust that they will protect your child from getting the disease or virus, or you don't.

"As more folks choose not to "risk" the vaccine for their kids they are undeniably counting on the parents in the VAST majority that do vaccinate to keep their own children from harm....this is wrong...."

again, i am not counting on anyone to vaccinate their children. this is a choice that every parent has a right to. if you don't want your children to be around non-vaccinated children, don't send your's to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 AM
 
10 posts, read 57,322 times
Reputation: 16
Moderator cut: orphaned

Flu shot, for example: my daughter received a flu shot (it will NEVER happen again) and she got sick for over a week with a really high fever. What was the point of the flu shot? It MADE her sick.

And not only that, all these vaccinations are only creating WORSE strains as the virus evolves itself to compensate.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-15-2007 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: orphaned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top