U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 PM

89,480 posts, read 106,111,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
This is basic epidemiology. Your non-vaccinated kids will be OK as long as the scales are tipped toward vaccinated kids. As that begins to change, we're poised to see a resurgance of all kinds of things that we thought had been eradicated. Ever heard of herd immunity? It is my strong feeling that we can kiss this goodbye as we move into the future, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

And I know this is off-topic, but I am sick of people complaining that the flu shot gave them the flu. The flu shot only protects against ONE STRAIN of the flu virus--the one that epidemiologists predict will be the most common that year. There are zillions of other strains and viruses; the flu shot cannot protect you against all of those. Flu shot side effects CAN include some mild flu-like symptoms, but if your child got very sick a week after the vaccination, chances are that it was an entirely different bug. There is no magic bullet. I'd rather be protected against SOMETHING than nothing at all.
The flu shot protects aginst three strains of flu vaccine. it takes about two weeks to get complete immunity. It is possible to be exposed and get the flu before you develop immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
Whether or not thermosil has been linked to autism or not,do you really want to inject you children with a know toxin? You always hear news about how you should limit your fish intake because of mercury.Do you really want to inject mercury into your childs bloodstream?
Although there is no evidence that thimerosol causes autism or anything else, it has been taken out of all vaccines routinely given to children. It has been several years, if not more, since there was Thimerosol in routine immunizations. Some flu vaccine has a small amount of mercury per dose.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 AM

9,444 posts, read 15,754,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Although there is no evidence that thimerosol causes autism or anything else, it has been taken out of all vaccines routinely given to children. It has been several years, if not more, since there was Thimerosol in routine immunizations. Some flu vaccine has a small amount of mercury per dose.
I'm curious about something and since I know you are in the medical profession, you might be able to answer it.

When "no thimerosal" law came in effect, what did they do with all the old vaccines? Did they get rid off them ALL? How much money that would cost them? I know that at least up until couple of years ago, even though the law came in effect what 1997?99? some vaccines with thimerosal were still on the shelves to save a mighty buck.

When I go to the doctor's office to get a vaccine and he reassures me that there is no thimerosal in that vaccine, how can I know for that it's true?

A friend of mine had a baby girl in 2003. At her 2 months old check-up she received a DT&P vaccine. On the next day she stopped responding, sleeping and started to have seizures. It was really truly horrible experience for the terrified parents. When they went to pediatrician, she told them that it's ok and it's a normal reaction. They went for a second opinion and the new pediatrician told them that the reaction is not normal. Turned out the vaccine they received was old. DT&P should be one shot, but some reason they received 3. Anyway, thank God everything turned out ok, it took a month for a girl to get back to normal. So, here is the example of how old vaccines still circulated when the "no thimerosal" law was already long in effect.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,134,712 times
i think they may use the old leftover vaccines on the poor children in nations like africa. i think they may test new and up and coming vaccines on those children also. i am not sure but remembering reading or seeing it.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm curious about something and since I know you are in the medical profession, you might be able to answer it.

When "no thimerosal" law came in effect, what did they do with all the old vaccines? Did they get rid off them ALL? How much money that would cost them? I know that at least up until couple of years ago, even though the law came in effect what 1997?99? some vaccines with thimerosal were still on the shelves to save a mighty buck.

When I go to the doctor's office to get a vaccine and he reassures me that there is no thimerosal in that vaccine, how can I know for that it's true?

A friend of mine had a baby girl in 2003. At her 2 months old check-up she received a DT&P vaccine. On the next day she stopped responding, sleeping and started to have seizures. It was really truly horrible experience for the terrified parents. When they went to pediatrician, she told them that it's ok and it's a normal reaction. They went for a second opinion and the new pediatrician told them that the reaction is not normal. Turned out the vaccine they received was old. DT&P should be one shot, but some reason they received 3. Anyway, thank God everything turned out ok, it took a month for a girl to get back to normal. So, here is the example of how old vaccines still circulated when the "no thimerosal" law was already long in effect.
I tried to do a little research before I answered, and all I could find w/o an exhaustive web search is that is was recommended in 1999 that thimerosol be removed from vacciens due to parental concerns. There is no "law" that I am familiar with. I am not certain, but something sticks in my mind that it was around 2003 that this process was complete. In 35 years of giving vaccine, I have NEVER heard of anyone giving DTP that way, and actually I have never heard of anything except tetanus toxoid being available as "single antigen" (not in combination). So I'm baffled at what happened to your friend's child. In most practices, vaccine is gone through so fast that even if old vaccine was used up, it wouldn't take four years. I mean, we are ordering vaccine literally all the time, probably get a new supply every couple months. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:41 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,754,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I tried to do a little research before I answered, and all I could find w/o an exhaustive web search is that is was recommended in 1999 that thimerosol be removed from vacciens due to parental concerns. There is no "law" that I am familiar with. I am not certain, but something sticks in my mind that it was around 2003 that this process was complete. In 35 years of giving vaccine, I have NEVER heard of anyone giving DTP that way, and actually I have never heard of anything except tetanus toxoid being available as "single antigen" (not in combination). So I'm baffled at what happened to your friend's child. In most practices, vaccine is gone through so fast that even if old vaccine was used up, it wouldn't take four years. I mean, we are ordering vaccine literally all the time, probably get a new supply every couple months. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Thank you very much for answering...I was just wondering, because I'm very nervous about this topic.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM

Ask your doctor or the nurse. People ask us all the time if the vaccine has thimerosol. We are happy to talk to people about this.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,841,284 times
thimerosol was removed as a preservative....legal wording that means it can still exist and be used during the manufactoring process. LOTS of loose ends in this area. Plenty of info out there.

Also note it was never banned....only recommended not to be used and they did indeed use all their supplys. Bush made it law that noone could sue a drug company over brain damage from a vaccine......

Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
thimerosol was removed as a preservative....legal wording that means it can still exist and be used during the manufactoring process. LOTS of loose ends in this area. Plenty of info out there.

Also note it was never banned....only recommended not to be used and they did indeed use all their supplys. Bush made it law that noone could sue a drug company over brain damage from a vaccine......
Could you reference the above? I'm not familiar with any law. There is still Thimerosol in some flu vaccines.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,217 times
first off, if your child did get all of his/her vaccines then how could my child harm yours because he/she didn't? thats no reason to keep your kid away from mines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness