Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I've been experiencing serious fatigue lately. I get random sleepy spells throughout the day and can't make it past 10pm for bedtime even on the weekend. Usually a few hours after waking up I feel sleepy again. I've had all kinds of blood tests run that are coming up negative except for having slightly low iron which I've always had. I had my thyroid checked and it's normal also.

I'm wondering is it normal to feel more tired as you get older? I rarely drink coffee and don't want to start a bad habit, but lately I feel like I need to drink it to make it through the day.

Yesterday I took a 3 hour nap from 5 to 8pm which is pretty unusual for me.
That depends on your age: what do you call getting older? I would say, it sounds like you should see a doctor, regardless of you age, that is a lot of sleep. I have heard, as we age we do need more sleep and then I have heard, as we age, we need less sleep: who knows? I do know I go to sleep much earlier at night than I used to. It is rare, unless we are really busy I stay up much after 9pm, but I am usually up between 4:30 and 5am. A lot of people in their late 60s and older do nap, hubby and I do not.

I do think you need to have a check up, just to be sure, it isn't something like low thyroid or some other condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
I'm 29.
Keep working on medical answer. I'm almost double your age and sleep about 7 hours a night and never doze off during the day. At most, I may nod off a bit at 9-10pm watching TV. Unless your child is waking you up 2-3 times a night, that doesn't seem normal. I will add that more exercise would help. I walk two miles a day and in good weather go bike riding on local trails, and my Dr. thinks I should do more.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
I'm 29. plus I have a small child that never allows me to sit still.
Children can be mentally, emotionally and physically exhausting. I would suggest that you start teaching him/her how to play quietly by themselves and stop running you ragged. Believe me his/her kindergarten teacher will thank you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I can only talk from experience.....YMMV.

I had anemia, the actual RBC levels were not that bad. But, wow, I did not realize how much it was effecting me until I started effectively treating the problem.

My RBC's were at the very bottom of the normal scale. The doctor who diagnosed me did it before the blood tests came back....my face, lips, gums were very pale. I would also bruise very easily....took forever for injuries to heal. Also I was weak, tired and would get chills....even in a warm room.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
As you get older your body naturally and very subtly slows down. Naps during the day are normal as you age.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
As you get older your body naturally and very subtly slows down. Naps during the day are normal as you age.
I happen to totally disagree. We are not talking about dozing off for a 1/2 hour, she is talking about 3 hour naps. At 29 and with just one kid, she does need to seek medical consultation to make sure there is nothing physically wrong. I don't know a single person in their 20s or even early 30s that needs as much sleep as the OP seems to need. Nor when I was that age did any of us take naps, other than a quick catch me up for maybe an hour at the very most. Of course, there may not be anything wrong, she might just be one of those who needs more sleep or has other problems, but she needs to find out. It could make a lot of difference in how she feels and how much energy she has.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Get your B-12 and intrinsic factor tested. That's what caused me to be fatigued. I would crawl back into bed just an hour after waking up. One morning, I literally fell asleep while standing in the living room talking to my husband and I was the one talking. That's what got me to go to the doctor. I had a B-12 deficiency due to a partial intrinsic factor and a D deficiency due to diet.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I happen to totally disagree. We are not talking about dozing off for a 1/2 hour, she is talking about 3 hour naps. At 29 and with just one kid, she does need to seek medical consultation to make sure there is nothing physically wrong. I don't know a single person in their 20s or even early 30s that needs as much sleep as the OP seems to need. Nor when I was that age did any of us take naps, other than a quick catch me up for maybe an hour at the very most. Of course, there may not be anything wrong, she might just be one of those who needs more sleep or has other problems, but she needs to find out. It could make a lot of difference in how she feels and how much energy she has.
I think you are spot-on there nmnita. This is not normal. I have not read every single post yet, but I wonder what the OP's diet is like. Probably not very good.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I agree. Or thyroid, or adrenals...
I could be your grandmother... I don't need much sleep and no one has more energy than me.
Age gets the blame for so much.
I'm 64 and agree. I have more energy now than I remember having at any time in my adult life.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Did this start when your Smart Meter was installed? Some people are very sensistive to them, especially if they are on an adjoining wall to where you spend a good amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness