Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,484,298 times

Advertisements

12 Vaccines Your Child Needs

Hard to do if you do not have insurance.

12 Vaccines Your Child Needs | Yahoo! Health

Old 08-19-2013, 11:04 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,736,359 times
"Needs" ? haha. No.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,519,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Hard to do if you do not have insurance.
Contact your local health department. Many childhood vaccines are available free, or at very low cost depending on the parent's financial situation.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM

14,339 posts, read 14,151,625 times
Quote:
Contact your local health department. Many childhood vaccines are
available free, or at very low depending on the parent's financial
situation.
Few people are as great a proponent of vaccination as I am.

Yet, our own local health department frustrates me. The department continually tries to charge for every vaccination given. Only, if people truly insist they are too poor to pay for the vaccine will the department wave the costs.

I don't believe vaccination should work this way. In an ideal world, no one would ever be asked for a fee at the time a shot is given. The cost would be absorbed through taxes and there would be no user fees at all. Just the mere presence of a sign containing vaccine charges at the health department is enough to scare many people away.

Someone who is given a vaccination is really taking that shot for (1) themselves; (2) all the people they come into contact with who will not get sick. In this sense, taking the vaccine is a public service and I believe accordingly there should be no charge.

Do any health departments just offer these for free and not try to squeeze money out of those seeking the vaccine?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,796,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Yet, our own local health department frustrates me. The department continually tries to charge for every vaccination given. Only, if people truly insist they are too poor to pay for the vaccine will the department wave the costs.

I don't believe vaccination should work this way. In an ideal world, no one would ever be asked for a fee at the time a shot is given. The cost would be absorbed through taxes and there would be no user fees at all. Just the mere presence of a sign containing vaccine charges at the health department is enough to scare many people away.

Someone who is given a vaccination is really taking that shot for (1) themselves; (2) all the people they come into contact with who will not get sick. In this sense, taking the vaccine is a public service and I believe accordingly there should be no charge.

Do any health departments just offer these for free and not try to squeeze money out of those seeking the vaccine?
Our health department here offers them for free to anyone who comes in. Most people with insurance go see their own doctors though.

Quote:
Children, birth through 18 years of age, who meet at least one of the following criteria, are
eligible to receive TVFC vaccine from Brazoria County Health Departments.
• Enrolled in Medicaid
• A child who has no health insurance coverage
• American Indian or Alaskan Native
• Underinsured (*New Definition*)
Insured children with vaccine coverage who have high copays or deductibles are no longer
considered underinsured and are not eligible for TVFC vaccines. Please visit your
pediatrician or call your insurance company for coverage benefit
Note that free vacines are a federally funded program
CDC - VFC Vaccines for Children Program (VFC) - Vaccines

Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
As of this year, people with insurance cannot get their immunizations at a health department. Insurance now has to cover vaccines for kids (not to be confused with the VFC program).

I worked for several county government immunization programs for many years. IMO, this is bad policy. We got a lot of people who just weren't connected with a doctor, even though they had insurance. These people are now going to have to go to Walgreen's and such to get their school IZs.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I don't know about "any" health departments. Certainly the one I worked for got more aggressive over time about collecting money. However, many of our clients learned to game the system, and they'd wait until you took the needle out of their kid's arm to tell you they couldn't pay. We made no attempt at collecting if they said they couldn't pay.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 AM

37,059 posts, read 42,027,507 times
I agree with most of those vaccines, but not all.

Everyone soon will have insurance though, and kids are usually covered now, even if the parents aren't, through various state programs.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:13 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,631,621 times
Our local school district sponsors immunization clinics as well.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,907,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
"Needs" ? haha. No.

My thought exactly.

And if you dont' have ins, the health dept will vaccinate your kid for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness