Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times

Advertisements

Mammals we eat don't synthesize B-12 vitamin either. In the past they chewed on dirt and grass rich in microbial life and that somehow ended up as B-12 in their meat. Today animals live on the concrete floor covered with feces sludge (or bare ground covered with many feet thick layers of excrement) no self-respecting beneficial microbe want to call home. So where does meat gets its B-12 from these days? Do they supplement feed? Are there any studies on B-12 content of the grocery meats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Bacteria/microorganisms manufacture B-12. They live inside the intestines of animals. That feces has B-12 in it.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Your understanding of the synthesis of vitamin B12 is flawed.

B12 is not obtained by a cow consuming bacteria. It is actually produced by the normal resident intestinal bacteria of the animal, then absorbed, where some ends up in the meat.

I doubt that cows raised for food are standing in "many feet thick layers of excrement." In my neck of the woods, they are standing knee deep in grass.

See here for more than you want to know about beef cattle feed lots:

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/pub...ons/pm1867.pdf

Agriculture these days is science based. Raising cows in unhealthy situations reduces overall profit.

B12 in foods:

Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)

"The amount of vitamin B-12 in beef depends on the cut, lean fat-trimmed chuck contains the most vitamin B12 with 6.18μg (103% DV) per 100g serving, 11.49μg (103% DV) in a chuck steak, and 5.25μg (88% DV) in a 3 ounce serving. Chuck is followed by sirloin (62% DV), rib-eye (60% DV), and ribs (58% DV). "

Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Many animals are "finished" in cramped quarters, a feed-lot type situation.

But most of these animals DO NOT spend their whole lives in this situation.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Many animals are "finished" in cramped quarters, a feed-lot type situation.

But most of these animals DO NOT spend their whole lives in this situation.
It's true only of beef (that's why when I buy meat I buy beef), the rest of the industrially farmed animals live in squalor from birth to death. As for the feed lots, I've seen plenty with my own eyes (and nose), and it's not appetizing, mildly speaking. Don't forget about all those antibiotics, hormones and chemicals they feed to cattle, it affects cows guts and its microbial content in major ways.

I see frequently the claims just like this one "Once thought to occur only in vegetarians or the elderly, suboptimal B12 levels are found in nearly 40 percent of Americans of all ages, according to the recent Framingham Offspring Study." As a nation, we consume much more meat than we require (for protein). Don't forget about the vitamins, supplements and fortified cereals we consume. After consuming all that bounty 40% are B-12 deficient anyway. That's why I'm curious about B-12 content of grocery meats. USDA has a tacit policy to avoid discussions of differences in food quality and safety that may be a function of how food is grown and processed (it's obvious why, just look at the people who run USDA). So basically government doesn't fund this sort of studies, all you can find nutritional & "health" infotainment internet is overloaded with.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
40% could have low B-12 due to diet (not eating meat, only eating minimal meat) AND due to health conditions that prevent their bodies from absorbing B-12. It's a very difficult vitamin for our bodies to absorb because it needs to go through three processes. You could fortify every single food I eat, and I'd still have a B-12 deficiency if I didn't get shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness