Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times

Advertisements

I'm relying on personal anecdotes here, not actual data.

My mother still smokes. She is 82 and does yoga daily. Plus runs a business and hikes.
My father quit smoking at 39, and died age 64.

I have many overweight friends, not surprising since I live in one of the "fattest" states.
Almost everyone I know in my age range (50s) is diabetic or has had orthopedic surgeries or is somehow affected by weight-related issues. Many have permenantly-disabling conditions (diabetic retinothapy, Charcots foot, knee and back surgeries, diabetic neuropathy, heart problems, kidney problems, generally mobility issues.) I do not know a single overweight person who is healthy, or who does not take meds for some issue or another.

I also know many people who are smokers, in the same age range. None of them, that I know of, is dealing with significant or chronic health problems. Including my mother. They are active, healthy older adults. Including an 85-year-old guy who is still in business installing hardwood floors (this is HARD physical work) and his 60-something year old daughter who works for him.

I know smoking is bad. I quit smoking because of this. Smoking = BAD. I am a non-smoker.
But my personal experience, which I understand is not data, leads me to consider that being overweight is horrible, and smoking isn't so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,509 times
To me it seems like asking, "Which will kill me? My car slamming into a concrete barrier or having a large boulder land on me?"

Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
Ok from a Guy that smoked 3 packs a day for years and Loved them. I'm saying Cigarettes.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness