U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 PM

2,349 posts, read 4,743,608 times

Advertisements

Are there any pills or drugs that provide somewhat similar "relaxing" or "dreamy" benefits that typically addictive prescription drugs do without being addictive (or that are as addictive as aspirin for example)? I realize there are many types of drugs (benzodiazepine, opiates, etc).

For example, here are several very addictive drugs:

Vicodin
OxyContin
Demerol
Percocet
Darvocet
Ritalin
Amphetamines

Are there any non-addictive alternatives to these?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,491,555 times
Homeopathic remedies, including Rescue Remedy.

Also, EFT works but it is something you do, not take.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:34 PM

18,428 posts, read 18,500,674 times
Magnesium is a very good relaxant....I believe it is sometimes prescribed???

Sometimes when I need to relax, I take 1 gram...it really does the trick.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 PM

862 posts, read 1,023,249 times
Since you only asked that they be non addictive , I'll state the obvious natural choice - Marijuana. Based on your list, It's looks more like you're after a substitute for the euphoria induced by amphetamines or opioids. There isn't one, unless you want to try mushrooms......but doesn't sound like what you're after. That dreamy, floaty, happy place that opioids send you can't be substituted. That's what addicts keep coming back to dope for. Speed induces a similar euphoria but from the opposite direction.

MJ can be better for pain control than many opioids when it's made into edibles and it's a great relaxant but it ain't gonna help in that chase for the dragon.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 AM

16,643 posts, read 34,293,649 times
Some people say kava kava is relaxing, but I think I tried it a long time ago and it didn't do much for me.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM

5,699 posts, read 10,489,157 times
Formula 303 is a natural sedative and relaxant. I do not think it's addictive, but you'll want to check that out for yourself.

Buy FORMULA 303 (90 Tablets) - Free Shipping

Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 AM

43,012 posts, read 96,957,181 times
If you aren't predisposed to addiction and you're trying to be safe about finding a drug that you won't be as likely to get hooked on by accident, look for drugs with long half life. Short half life is more likely to be abused. That doesn't mean that long half life drugs aren't abused, but they are less likely to cause addiction for people who use them casually and responsibly.

Addiction: Part I. Benzodiazepines-Side Effects, Abuse Risk and Alternatives - American Family Physician

For example, of Benzos, Ativan has a very short half life---you can feel it kick in and wear off. Klonopin has a very long half life by comparison. It doesn't produce a dreamy effect. It just chills you out. You will feel it the first time you take it but you won't feel it subsequently. This isn't a drug for a high unless you are abusing it. It's just a drug that calms you.

Remember, I'm not saying that Klonopin isn't addictive. I am predisposed to addiction due to genetics. I've avoided alcohol my entire life as a result. I've been able to take Klonopin on a very irregular basis without problems. One bottle of 30 pills has lasted me more than 2 years. I never take it daily. I only use it when I absolutely have to. If you don't think you have that type of self control or you are trying to find something to take on a regular basis, disregard this post.

The link above also covers alternatives to Benzos that are much safer. Check it out.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 4,743,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
That dreamy, floaty, happy place that opioids send you can't be substituted.

That's what I was afraid of. Is this really true though?

Also, weed has too many side effects for me (sleepy, burned out) and it's a little too strong (I don't want to be stoned, just relaxed). And drug testing concerns. I'm seeking a level of something like a couple cocktails but I don't drink.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM

862 posts, read 1,023,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Is this really true though?
Speaking as someone who's pretty much run the gamut of both legal and illegal drugs and a wide variety of entheogens........I'd say - yes.

Somebody in an earlier post mentioned kava. That could be a viable alternative depending on your body chemistry. If you want to try kava, don't go for the pills or paste, get the real thing and prepare it yourself. Here's a link to a great place to learn about and buy fresh kava: Buy kava kava from Nakamal At Home dot com. and here's a site from a kava master complete with unbiased reviews: Kavasseur - Your #1 Resource For Kava Reviews and Kava News

I've had a fair amount of success with kava and it's use as a relaxant is on the rise as more folks become aware of it's possibilities. Don't be put off by alarmist cries of liver damage - that's mostly bad science. Try it, it might be just the ticket you're looking for.........but still - it isn't an opioid so lower your expectations a little.

There is one other legal entheogen out there, but it'll cost you a PM to find out. It's already getting too much unwanted attention from the DEA, so I'd rather not give it anymore attention if possible.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM

90 posts, read 85,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Are there any pills or drugs that provide somewhat similar "relaxing" or "dreamy" benefits that typically addictive prescription drugs do without being addictive (or that are as addictive as aspirin for example)? I realize there are many types of drugs (benzodiazepine, opiates, etc).

For example, here are several very addictive drugs:

Vicodin
OxyContin
Demerol
Percocet
Darvocet
Ritalin
Amphetamines

Are there any non-addictive alternatives to these?
Um...er...speed is relaxing? Those last two are form of speed.

Meditate, don't medicate! Do pranayama, which is part of yoga. They are breathing exercises that help oxygenate people. Do Hatha yoga, too. I feel totally blissed out after a yoga class. It's like I am walking on a cloud. You have to get to the root of why you are so keyed up. Drugging yourself into a stupor is gross.

Mild relaxants include chamomile, peppermint, and lemon balm. Stronger ones include valerian, kava, and passion flower. I once had a tea made with stronger herbal relaxants and didn't like it. I felt groggy and drugged up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness