Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My job just had an inservice on this.
Now,I don't agree with this,but here goes..

Hand sanitizer is actually better at killing germs than washing hands with soap and water.the article stated it is the only way to decontaminate hands
Hand sanitizer is great for killing germs. However, it has no effect on viruses (flu; common cold; etc.). The only way to get rid of them is to lather, and rinse them off of your hands.
The whole butt thread added by the OP is illogical unless you fondle your anus after washing your hands. Once you wash your hands you won't be spreading germs from your butt.
Use some common sense! Sheesh!
BTW: I poo, then shower using antibacterial body wash. I'm clean enough to eat off of. (There's a picture for ya!)

Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I've become more of a hand washer since I have gotten older, not that I was not always clean, but I just do it many more times a day now. For the 3 years I was retired I had very few colds because I was not near people, but as soon as I went back to work I started catching some very bad colds, to the point I actually had to leave work sick.

I have a bad habit of rubbing my eyes and I think I transmit some germs that way, so I do wash my hands numerous times every day, especially at work........and I use antibacterial soap.

Don

Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
When I feel that they need it. I can tell when they get sticky or grungy, and it feels good to wash them with hot water and soap, but it usually doesn't occur to me to do so unless they feel like they need it. Certainly not with any ritual regularity. (As a matter of fact, I just went and washed them when I saw this thread, because a little while ago, I ate some apple slices dipped in peanut butter.)

As for germs, I could care less. I haven't caught anything in maybe my whole lifetime, in the USA, that can be carried by hand-borne pathogens, but I've had a few bugs in places like Bangladesh and Ecuador and Mali. You have immunity to all those things, if you allow yourself to a healthy exposure to them and keep your body tuned to fight them off..

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You never heard of them?
I'd love to have a bidet.
You have one. Sit bare-bottomed on the edge of the tub nearest the faucet, slosh it good with water, soap up your hand, do the same thing you do when you take a shower, rinse, pat dry. Up with your panties, and go on about your day as sweet and fresh as a daisy, no more skid marks.

If you're using a public toilet, just flush and then splash up the fresh water in the toilet, with hand soap. You' re not going to catch anything down there from exposure to germs.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-28-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Three (3) part question.

Question 1: Do you wash your hands with soap and water?
Question 2: Why?
Looks like 2 parts to me.

Yes, I wash my hands constantly with soap n water. I like the feel of clean hands. It's important to me.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Who wouldn't use soap and water to wash their hands? What would be the alternative other than to just be a walking germ spreader?
I know people that don't like to get their hands wet, and if they do wash, they'll just use water and dirty up a towel. There are people like that.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Plain soap and water will not decomtaminate germs on hands unless used with a lot of friction.

A waterless,alcohol based hand gel works better,because it does decomtaminate germs without friction needed.

An alternatuve is using an antibacterial soap and water with lots of friction.

Before clinet care,we have to wash hands,then apply hand sanitizer,and of course,put on gloves.

Also,if hands are visibly soiled,you have to wash hands,then use hand sanitizer,then gloves.

Now,I don't agree with this of course.
Anitbacterial soap is the reason for resistant bacteria strains.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
It's a legitimate question and the point behind it.

Hand soap
Face wash
Shampoo
Skin cleanser (?) the stuff that gets blackheads out
Mouthwash / Toothpaste
Hell, there are even items to keep lady parts clean.

But all we do is use a piece of paper to wipe our behinds? And call ourselves clean?
Discuss.
You didn't read what the other person said. By now everyone got the point, your head is in places most people would rather not talk about.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
My ex used to just wash his right hand after going to the bathroom, I thought that was hilarious and lazy!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM

When I visit a relative and his family there is no soap of any kind or towels by the sink in any of the 3 bathrooms. I did find an empty shampoo bottle in the shower, so I got the dregs from it to wash my hands! Husband, wife and 3 children. Evidently if they were responding to this question, they would say no!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 AM

I wash my hands every time I use the toilet and if I pet one of the feral cats outside. I have a pet bird and if I touch her I want my hands to be clean at all times.
I was brought up to wash my hands frequently. It was required before eating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness