Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
FYI for future reference, never ever pop a blister. It opens the wound for infection. Let a doctor make that call.

You're going to change doctors because they didn't tell you they called in a prescription for you, when they didn't even demand to see you first?
Oh heavens no, first of all, you are right about not seeing him, but you would have had to be following our story for along time to understand our changing doctors. It is long and drawn out. As for not popping a blister, yes, I know; our granddaughter is a nurse practitioner, my sister and her daughter are and were nurses and we have several doctors in the family, but I did it anyway. It took away the pressure. Luckily it didn't appear to get infected. Shame on me, you are right...I just felt sorry for him, cause it was about 9pm when they formed and it was either wait til morning, (he was so sore) or pop them myself. I choose to do what I shouldn't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:40 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh heavens no, first of all, you are right about not seeing him, but you would have had to be following our story for along time to understand our changing doctors. It is long and drawn out. As for not popping a blister, yes, I know; our granddaughter is a nurse practitioner, my sister and her daughter are and were nurses and we have several doctors in the family, but I did it anyway. It took away the pressure. Luckily it didn't appear to get infected. Shame on me, you are right...I just felt sorry for him, cause it was about 9pm when they formed and it was either wait til morning, (he was so sore) or pop them myself. I choose to do what I shouldn't have.
LOL

By the way, HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYBODY!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I have tried to figure out what it might have been but it is still a mystery. I really think it was a wasp and he had a really bad reaction. The problem with identifying the bite, it almost disappeared as fast as it appeared. When I got stunk about a month ago, the same thing. You couldn't see the sting after a few minutes or maybe an hour. I think a spider bite would have been easier to see and identify. Regardless, he is gradually getting better, but his finger still looks awful. His hand doesn't look that bad today.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,111 times
We have tons of spiders here in western NJ. I killed a wolf trying to come in my house and she had about a hundred little specks that started scattering. Luckily I hit those too. Turns out they carry their babies on their back!

So gross. Today I'm doing a massive cleaning around my house and spraying for fall. Usually the beginning of October I find all kinds of bugs looking for refuge from the upcoming winter.

Happy to hear hubby is doing better. Fwiw, I'd change doctors too.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
We have tons of spiders here in western NJ. I killed a wolf trying to come in my house and she had about a hundred little specks that started scattering. Luckily I hit those too. Turns out they carry their babies on their back!

So gross. Today I'm doing a massive cleaning around my house and spraying for fall. Usually the beginning of October I find all kinds of bugs looking for refuge from the upcoming winter.

Happy to hear hubby is doing better. Fwiw, I'd change doctors too.
We have called an exterminator and will get the outside strayed for wasps on Thursday. I have never seen a Wolf spider, so don't know it something like that got him, but whatever, he is going to be fine. I did talk to my granddaughter about my popping the blisters, she said she would have told me to do it anyway, so not to feel bad. As long as you keep it clean and anti biotic cream on it til it dries up, it is fine. According to her, not popping them used to be recommended more than it is now.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Interesting, that's good to know.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
From Mayo Clinic...
If a blister isn't too painful, try to keep it intact. Unbroken skin over a blister provides a natural barrier to bacteria and decreases the risk of infection. Cover a small blister with an adhesive bandage, and cover a large one with a porous, plastic-coated gauze pad that absorbs moisture and allows the wound to breathe. If you're allergic to the adhesive used in some tape, use paper tape.

Don't puncture a blister unless it's painful or prevents you from walking or using one of your hands. If you have diabetes or poor circulation, call your doctor before considering the self-care measures below.
Blisters: First aid - MayoClinic.com

Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
From Mayo Clinic...
If a blister isn't too painful, try to keep it intact. Unbroken skin over a blister provides a natural barrier to bacteria and decreases the risk of infection. Cover a small blister with an adhesive bandage, and cover a large one with a porous, plastic-coated gauze pad that absorbs moisture and allows the wound to breathe. If you're allergic to the adhesive used in some tape, use paper tape.

Don't puncture a blister unless it's painful or prevents you from walking or using one of your hands. If you have diabetes or poor circulation, call your doctor before considering the self-care measures below.
Blisters: First aid - MayoClinic.com
thanks, we still don't know what it was, but regardless, he is doing fine, the finger still has a few petty raw spots but is almost healed and we had the outside of the house sprayed for wasps yesterday. That should take care of the wasp problem til, at least next spring or summer.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,849 times
It could be the poliste (red wasp) that stung your husband. They are aggressive and usually sting right away. The sting is very painfully that can last for weeks.

Red Wasp Sting

Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
Time to find a new doctor. Are there two "marks" on the skin or one? One would indicate a sting like a bee or a wasp. Two could be something like a spider (fang marks). Was bitten by a spider several years ago, could see the fang marks. Developed into cellulitis, made the whole area red, swollen and sore. Had to get an antibiotic for it. Never heard of blisters from an insect sting. Not calling you a liar, perhaps it was a spider or something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness