Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Just a vent...don't know if I should put this here or in the pet forum....

I broke my arm about a month ago, this is my 2nd cast, doc says not to come back for another 8 weeks unless a problem.....I wonder if a stinky cast would count as a problem?

Today my cat jumped up in my lap for her afternoon cuddles, and hissed at my cast....it really stinks! Geez, I hope she doesn't express her displeasure in the typical cat way

Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just a vent...don't know if I should put this here or in the pet forum....

I broke my arm about a month ago, this is my 2nd cast, doc says not to come back for another 8 weeks unless a problem.....I wonder if a stinky cast would count as a problem?

Today my cat jumped up in my lap for her afternoon cuddles, and hissed at my cast....it really stinks! Geez, I hope she doesn't express her displeasure in the typical cat way
Oh hell Marylee - you have psoriasis and a cast at the same time? In the summer!? That must be so unbearable! I would -definitely- consider "stinky cast" a "problem" and ask if he could change it now, and again in another month.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Oh hell Marylee - you have psoriasis and a cast at the same time? In the summer!? That must be so unbearable! I would -definitely- consider "stinky cast" a "problem" and ask if he could change it now, and again in another month.

So....following me around

Actually, psoraisis doesn't affect my arms, thank goodness!This cast goes almost up to the shoulder, with the elbow bent at 90 degrees. I like the doctor, he would see me anytime, but its getting the insurance to pay for it. Perhaps I could say muscle atrophy, skinny arm, cast no longer fits?

Here's a funny---last time I was at the doc, some guy had an arm cast removed, then, it was supposed to be replaced, he ran off! Just say NO to casts!

See, the stinky cast is what started the rant about so many pills. I can't open pill bottles, so, dh put them all nice and neat in that pill-a-day box. Well, it does work, but showed me how many pills I'm really taking

Dang...this thing stinks!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:31 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
How to Get Rid of Bad Cast Smells and Odors

Old 09-04-2013, 02:39 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So....following me around

Actually, psoraisis doesn't affect my arms, thank goodness!This cast goes almost up to the shoulder, with the elbow bent at 90 degrees. I like the doctor, he would see me anytime, but its getting the insurance to pay for it. Perhaps I could say muscle atrophy, skinny arm, cast no longer fits?

Here's a funny---last time I was at the doc, some guy had an arm cast removed, then, it was supposed to be replaced, he ran off! Just say NO to casts!

See, the stinky cast is what started the rant about so many pills. I can't open pill bottles, so, dh put them all nice and neat in that pill-a-day box. Well, it does work, but showed me how many pills I'm really taking

Dang...this thing stinks!
Please contact your provider's office - many things can cause odor such as skin breakdown from irritation or an infection....

Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My daughter had a stinky cast on her arm...we were almost to the point of suggesting she hang her cast out the window when we were in the car. We put hand sanitizer in the cast as far as we could reach, not too much at one time because if it gets wet, the cast will soften. She only had to wear it for three weeks, we would have gone crazy if it was 8 weeks.

I had a cast on my leg and didn't have odor issues with it, but when it came off, all the skin on my leg peeled off in big sheets and that didn't smell very good. I wonder if something like that is happening inside your cast, it seems like that would be a legit reason to see the doc and get the cast changed.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Please contact your provider's office - many things can cause odor such as skin breakdown from irritation or an infection....

Thanks for the suggestion....I never considered such possibilities. I take prednisone, which can cause skin breakdown, fungal infections, etc. I can see them tomorrow, well, the cast techs. They are very good---they can remove the cast, inspect the skin, and contact the doc-on-call if a problem.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
This is very true! Years ago my mother broke her leg. Sometime later the cast started to smell. The doctor called her a nut because she wanted it removed, and when the cast was removed a few months later she had a severe infection going on. So bad in fact she almost lost her leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness