U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Location: Downtown Raleigh
1,678 posts, read 3,309,779 times
Reputation: 2213


I am experiencing pain, and I am unsure what type of physician to go to.

I have intense, intermittent pain in my lower left (and sometimes right) abdomen that comes and goes. It hurts about 2 days per week. The pain radiates down what feels like a nerve through my left thigh and down to the front of my knee. I cannot function or sleep during the worse parts of the pain.

I know that I have fibroids. I am very thin, and I had (have) a bulge protruding from the general area of my abdomen that now hurts, so I went to the gynecologist last fall. I had a transvaginal ultrasound. Ovaries were fine, and several fibroids were diagnosed.

I also had a colonoscopy about two years ago because of my age (44) and family history. Nothing was found except that I have a tortuous colon.

I have been experiencing constipation for several years. I eat an extremely healthy diet, drink plenty of water, and exercise daily. I don't know why I went from perfectly regular to regularly constipated.

My appetite and energy levels are normal.

I am trying to decide if I should see an internal medicine doctor to see if something else is going on or go back to the OBGYN to see if it is the fibroids causing the pain.

Has anyone been in this position? Any experiences or insight to share? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 02:42 PM
3,763 posts, read 8,390,116 times
Reputation: 4056
Since you have intense, intermittent pain, why not start with your general practitioner? Intense, intermittent pain warrants immediate medical attention. Hope you are doing better soon!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 AM
16,489 posts, read 23,621,141 times
Reputation: 16332
I would see my OB/GYN first and let them rule out if it is any kind of female problem, knowing already that you have fibroids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top