Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 AM

31 posts, read 247,402 times

Advertisements

Anyone else experience this? It first hit me about 2 months ago while driving to the beach. The pain starts in my right butt cheek and runs all the way down to my foot while driving. It can start as quickly as 5 minutes into a drive. I'm reduced to driving with cruise control as much as possible and bending the leg to alleviate the pain.

Is this something for a chiropractor? Ortho surgeon? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
If you're a guy, try taking your wallet out of your back pocket. I know I have had that same sensation and I believe it might be pressure on a nerve. Certainly removing my wallet from my right back pocket helps, but doesn't always alleviate it totally.

(Also, moving this to Health and Wellness)

Old 07-25-2008, 08:10 AM

457 posts, read 1,377,348 times
I only get that on long distance drives, before moving to Charlotte, I would make the drive from NJ to Greensboro, NC to see children in college, and after about maybe 3 hours, I got that pain in the "butt > foot". Cruise control did help, stopping every 1.5 hours, for a quick break, and you may want to try taking a couple of advil to alleviate. Good luck....

Old 07-25-2008, 08:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
Some cars do this to me as well on occasion.
I have narrowed it down to the 'angle of attack' of the accelerator pedal.
Some are more vertical than others.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Sounds like inflammation of a nerve-ending . . . which can result from different problems - i.e, could be a herniated disk or stenosis . . . Sometimes, taking two aspirin or Advil every four to six hours will help relieve the inflammation (if that is the problem).

Yes, I would see an orthopaedic surgeon if this continues. There are other things this could be and if you have a progressive problem, it will only get worse. Additional symptoms such as numbness or tingling could signal other problems, so I would not put it off too long, if it continues.

You can try a chiropractor and see how that goes. I have gotten relief from chiropractors over the years for various problems (including sciatica, wh/ this could possibly be).

Here is link from Mayo Clinic concerning sciatica - maybe reading about it will give you more insight about your symptoms - and what to do next. Good luck. Back pain is the number one reason for missed work in this country.

Sciatica - MayoClinic.com

Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,455 times
It is definitely the sciatica. I've had the same feeling before. As suggested, I moved my wallet to my front pocket (helped me downsize the wallet too so I didn't have this huge tumor looking thing on my left thigh!). Little things that you don't notice can cause it to flare up...sitting poorly at work/home on the computer, slouching, etc. There's not a whole lot they can do for it until it becomes a "real" problem...or if it's being caused by something like a herniated disc.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Sounds like a minor case of Sciatica if not painful every day. I had it for three months to the point of not being able to put any weight on my right leg without severe pain. Took SOMA (muscle relaxer) during the time period as my MD at the time did not help me at all and a Chiro just made it worse. Fast forward to today as I'm having back surgery on the 6th of Aug for compressed disk and a pinched nerve problem for the last two yrs that has given me a numb thigh/calf/foot with 40-60% pain 24/7. Anyway they will scrape the bone (I was told) to relieve pressure on the nerve. Maybe I will be able to walk again without a cane. Keeping my toes crossed. Steve

Old 07-29-2008, 10:43 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Well, the VA called me this AM to reschedule my back surgery from Aug 6th to Aug 13. One more week of pain/numbness. Oh well, after two yrs I can live with one more week I suppose. Still have my toes crossed. Will file any good/bad news as it happens. Steve

Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
Wink Sciatica nerve pinched.

When my wife's sciatic nerve starts acting up for some reason my psychotic nerve acts up at the same time ! Coincidence ? I don't think so !

Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,160 times
definitely sounds like sciatica...a good place to start at any rate.
Might consider a chiropractor. Ask around for referrals for a GOOD one that will not force you into some kind of long range treatment, but will focus on that specific problem.

Might only take one adjustment, or a few...but it can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness