Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:01 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,168,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I'm with you. Plus where I go- my pills go. I'll take them on my own, thank you very much and if the hospital staff doesn't like it--let them try wrestling them from me.
When I went to the hospital, I insisted that I bring my own medications. The hospital at first said no but
I insisted and then they said, fine as long as the medications are in the original prescription bottles.
This is one reason why insurance premiums keep rising and we do have deductibles. I will be a squeaky
wheel so I don't have to pay for something I already have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,398,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I was in the hospital for 3 days a few years ago. They got a list of my meds when I was admitted. GLAD I had insurance. I went over the bill after discharge. The pills averaged over $100. each.
Yeah- and then they try to say they're a "not for profit" organization.
Crazy thing is they charged me $50 for 1 tablet, but with my helth insurance (which is through the same healthcare system as my DH works for them) I get 3 months supply for $20!
I really think it's completely unethical for them to make a profit on drugs. They remind me of dodgy car salesmen. Don't trust them.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
When I went to the hospital, I insisted that I bring my own medications. The hospital at first said no but
I insisted and then they said, fine as long as the medications are in the original prescription bottles.
This is one reason why insurance premiums keep rising and we do have deductibles. I will be a squeaky
wheel so I don't have to pay for something I already have.
And it's also safer to let patient take their own meds if they're in date and in their original bottles. Less risk that a hospital Doctor will prescribe the wrong drug/dose. This is what we do in the uk. Docs and nurses ask for a list of current meds (or will call the pts PCP and get a list faxed through if pt/family aren't sure) then they ask the family to brig their meds in and administer their meds. They actually do this to save money!
Each floor has a pharmacist who visits each day and checks the new patients drug lists ie what they were on before admission and what the hospital doc has prescribed for them.
Of course in the UK we don't have those automated , scanner/trolley drug administration systems- patients drugs are kept in a locked cupboard by their bed.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:06 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,534,585 times
I suggest you document everything being said and done. Meds, doses, what docs are saying to you, etc.. If someone is missing their "normal" meds and is in more respiratory distress, something is wrong with this picture, unless they are contraindicated with the newer meds, but then the newer meds should be alleviating the resp. distress! You can request he see another pulmonary doc, too, or another hospitalist.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 AM

No one should have their reg meds withheld unless there's a medical reason, and the fact that the hospitalist only comes once per week isn't a medical reason!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,457,448 times
If that happened to a family member of mine, I'd get their home meds. Screw the policy.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 AM

10,100 posts, read 19,268,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If that happened to a family member of mine, I'd get their home meds. Screw the policy.
^^^^
Same here

Don't overtrust a hospital. I've heard people say they will give you everything you need, don't bother to take your own meds, or if they wanted you to have such, they would be giving it to you....its quite shocking how poor the communication is in most hospitals. Seems they ask the same things over and over, and write it down somewhere... then, no one acts on it...

If you're there for one diagnoss you can't be expected to forget about any other conditions you may have, like diabetes, heart problems, etc, etc.....

And do take a "survival kit" if you go to the ER...take along any meds you currently take or will need a dosage of during the 15--20 hour wait (no joke), also, take along something to eat and drink, bottled water, snacks, something to do, like a book, etc, and some sort of blanket or wrap. they keep the AC so low you could hang meat in there, then hospitals always complain about their costs!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I can't speak for that particular hospital's one Dr. policy, but I do know that hospitals usually do not allow any meds to be taken that have not been provided to the patient by the nursing staff.

That includes OTCs and even things like Ben Gay, because the hospital needs to know exactly what is being taken and when it is taken.

You may wish to speak with the hospital's patient advocate or social worker. I hope that your DH is doing better.
^^^^

They have no authority to change anything, by the time you get to them you are either dead or out of there! But they will thank you for sharing your feelings with them!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
My husband has a VERY long medical history including COPD and MS. He's had a harder than usual time breathing lately and last night was admitted to the hospital in respiratory distress. He called this morning and said new hospital policy is there is only ONE doctor on the planet that can allow patients to have their doctor prescribed medications and he only works ONE morning a week!!! They'd caused him to miss two doses of his medication, including pain meds and pulmonary meds. He woke up in more respiratory distress because he didn't get his doses of pulmonary meds. Instead the hospital was giving him breathing treatments every four hours, which is just pumping his body full of steroids and he doesn't tolerate steroids well, which he told them. They said the new policy is to save the hospital money and there's nothing he could do. Not allowed to have meds from home brought in for him. How can a doctor who speaks to you for 90 seconds decide that the meds your doctor who has known you for years and has done extensive testing and altering of medications to get the right levels for you withhold or refuse meds? Thankfully the doctor did say he could have his meds (oh, thank you great one) but he'd missed two doses, was in worse shape and it was a long time before the nurse even got around to bringing them to him! Is that even legal?!

HTH can they call themselves a hospital with no doctor? That's like a restaurant with no food, or, a restroom with no toilet---just WTH do they think you're there for, to run up a bill?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,457,448 times
Is this an actual hospital or a nursing home? Nursing homes usually have a visiting doctor.

I can't imagine an actual hospital only having an attending physician once a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness