Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:57 AM

10,103 posts, read 19,308,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is this an actual hospital or a nursing home? Nursing homes usually have a visiting doctor.

I can't imagine an actual hospital only having an attending physician once a week.
I believe its a hospitalist---a new breed of cat...er..doctor. In theory, it sounds great, but in actuality, its not so great. The hospitalist is based in the hospital and they coordinate your care. They are supposed to know the workings of the hospital, streamline things, be your advocate while there. Typically you will NOT see your PCP while there, unless its some sort of surgery, and even then, you have a hospitalist in the works. Sounds like some marketing guru's idea of how to simplify things....

My experience has been they're the bottom of the barrel. They aren't in private practice, so there's no upfront money, they are just another employee, like the janitor! Usually they are foreign, don' speak English well ! If you get out alive, you're lucky!

Then, they don't write RX for out-of-the-hospital, for that you go back to your PCP. Well, if you come out with a new DX, say, diabetes, your PCP can't/won't write an RX for a new diagnosis they haven't seen you for, and you can't always get an appt in a day or two, and you often don't know when you will be hospitalized and discharged......oftentimes transportation is a major issue............

Just stay healthy, my friend!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-15-2013 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: racist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:01 AM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
My husband has a VERY long medical history including COPD and MS. He's had a harder than usual time breathing lately and last night was admitted to the hospital in respiratory distress. He called this morning and said new hospital policy is there is only ONE doctor on the planet that can allow patients to have their doctor prescribed medications and he only works ONE morning a week!!! They'd caused him to miss two doses of his medication, including pain meds and pulmonary meds. He woke up in more respiratory distress because he didn't get his doses of pulmonary meds. Instead the hospital was giving him breathing treatments every four hours, which is just pumping his body full of steroids and he doesn't tolerate steroids well, which he told them. They said the new policy is to save the hospital money and there's nothing he could do. Not allowed to have meds from home brought in for him. How can a doctor who speaks to you for 90 seconds decide that the meds your doctor who has known you for years and has done extensive testing and altering of medications to get the right levels for you withhold or refuse meds? Thankfully the doctor did say he could have his meds (oh, thank you great one) but he'd missed two doses, was in worse shape and it was a long time before the nurse even got around to bringing them to him! Is that even legal?!
First of all I am so sorry that this happened to your husband!

I have never in my life heard of a hospital with one prescribing physician. NEVER. I was a Registered Nurse in hospitals (medical-surgical and psychiatry for the most part. I have some experience here.
The doctor that admits the patient writes the prescriptions. If that doctor is not available there is always someone who can prescribe or change the med orders. The doc on call a nurse practitioner or a Physicians assistant. The patients own doctor can also call in medications as needed.

However - when a person enters a hospital - ALL orders MUST be re-written for the patient. Even if the same doc wrote the prescription. They need to be written again.

The One Doctor Hospital is not the norm. I also think that there was some kind of miscommunication here. This is not your fault. It's the fault of the medical professionals who admitted your husband.

There are times when all meds are discontinued upon admission.
There are several reasons that this might happen and the most frequent is a change of physicians and a new doctor who disagrees with the former doctor.
The patient is never happy in these cases and I understand why.

In all of my years I have never heard of one prescriber (MD DO CNP or PA) per hospital who visits infrequently.

I agree with the others - if this happened to a loved one or to myself I'd have the meds brought from home. At the very least any pain medications.
No one has the right to decide how much pain another is experiencing.

Also I agree with the other poster who advised you to document everything! Get names and titles. If you are told "hospitalist" (a relatively new and dubious part of the health care team - still ask what his/her profession is. MD? DO? Etc.

If a person is caring for your husband and doing nurse like activity again ask the name and profession. Everyone wears scrubs now. It means nothing.

I would make plans to have your husband admitted to a more patient centered hospital - but still document as you do.

Wishing you both the best!

Sheena12

Last edited by sheena12; 09-15-2013 at 01:13 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 AM

10,103 posts, read 19,308,446 times
Ladies, please!

What are we doing up at this hour, worrying/discussing things we can't do anything about? I'm going to bed, ( after I take my Ambien--lol) Good Night, everyone!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,879,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I knew he couldn't bring his meds with him. But usually when he checks in they get his list of meds - we have it printed in his wallet with the name and phone of each Dr that has prescribed each med - and then they give it to him when it's due from their stock. I'm sure it costs the insurance company ten times more per pill that way, but it's how they've always worked. But now this new policy means if the Dr comes in on a Weds and you are admitted on a Thursday you don't get ANY of your medications for a week! For someone with a serious illness, or in his case a terminal illness, missing one dose is a big deal. Missing a week?!

I'm still livid. Definitely stopping in the admin office. If he's released we'll deal with it then. If they don't think he's stable enough to be released, and I"m guessing they don't because he said he was feeling much worse today, then I'm having him transferred to another hospital.

There still has to be an order written by the doctor...not his personal dr, but the dr taking care of him in the hospital.

We do not allow outside meds, ever. At all. Not even OTC meds. There has to be a written order by the doctor.

One doctor is not the norm and yes, you have a right to complain and should, but please understand that orders have to be written.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There still has to be an order written by the doctor...not his personal dr, but the dr taking care of him in the hospital.

We do not allow outside meds, ever. At all. Not even OTC meds. There has to be a written order by the doctor.

One doctor is not the norm and yes, you have a right to complain and should, but please understand that orders have to be written.

and how are you going to police that rule?

My meds go where I go. No one at any medical facility is going through my purse. That I can assure you.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
and how are you going to police that rule?

My meds go where I go. No one at any medical facility is going through my purse. That I can assure you.

Because once we find out you have them, either you turn them over or you're outta here. You cannot self medicate while in the hospital. You can tell them you have your own meds, get the dr to write the orders for your own meds, and they will be stored in the med room to be given to you by your nurse.

Why should you be popping God knows what when we're already medicating you and why would you risk a drug interaction or overdose?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:41 AM

2,265 posts, read 4,098,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
^^^^

They have no authority to change anything, by the time you get to them you are either dead or out of there! But they will thank you for sharing your feelings with them!
Hm, it always worked for my DH whenever there was an issue when I have been in the hospital. This has worked at both Army Medical Centers as well as civilian ones for more than 8 States and in couple of different European Countries. I have serious medical issues and am hospitalized 4-6 times a year, sometimes for a couple of months at a time.

But then my DH is a former Drill Sgt, 1SG and MP so when he speaks (barks) people tend to listen to him.
Hospital administrators and SWs do not want any negative information to be made public (especially in this day and age with the internet) and will bend over backwards to make a family member happier.

Whining does not work-, but clear, concise and firm statements and expectations DO work.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Hm, it always worked for my DH whenever there was an issue when I have been in the hospital. This has worked at both Army Medical Centers as well as civilian ones for more than 8 States and in couple of different European Countries. I have serious medical issues and am hospitalized 4-6 times a year, sometimes for a couple of months at a time.

But then my DH is a former Drill Sgt, 1SG and MP so when he speaks (barks) people tend to listen to him.
Hospital administrators and SWs do not want any negative information to be made public (especially in this day and age with the internet) and will bend over backwards to make a family member happier.

Whining does not work-, but clear, concise and firm statements and expectations DO work.

Exaclty....they do want the patient to be happy, but they also want the patient to be healthy. Letting a pt self medicate while under the hospital's care is just a liability they aren't willing to take ( and shouldn't) and the patient needs to understand that.

At our hopsital we have fulltime customer service agents, and they do act quickly on any and all complaints.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Because once we find out you have them, either you turn them over or you're outta here. You cannot self medicate while in the hospital. You can tell them you have your own meds, get the dr to write the orders for your own meds, and they will be stored in the med room to be given to you by your nurse.
I understand the risks of drug interactions and why the hospital needs to know what meds a patient is taking. In the OP situation, it's insane that he had to go days without his medication. In that situation, I would self medicate and inform the staff that I was doing it so the records could be noted to prevent a drug interaction. If they want to kick me out because of their inept procedure, I'd be fine with that. But I highly suspect my standing my ground and self medicating would entice this once-a-week doctor out of the woodwork to solve the problem because they want to make money from my being there.

As for new doctors disagreeing with old doctors medication choices, that's something the new doctor should discuss IN DETAIL with the patient before changing medications. Patients have rights and one of those rights is to refuse medication. The medication God should take the time to talk with patients about medication and the benefits and risks of the medication. Being informed of benefits and risks is another patient right. So I'm not falling for this hardline "must follow doctors orders" when the system itself is failing miserably.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
At our hopsital we have fulltime customer service agents, and they do act quickly on any and all complaints.
Your hospital is irrelevant to the OP. She's describing a hospital that only has a prescribing physician ONCE a week. If it doesn't have a full time prescribing physician, it's doubtful there is a fulltime customer service agent there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness