Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times

Advertisements

My husband suffers from severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and the pills he s on arent helping after three months treatment, Im looking into these biologics and wonder if they d be saft to have with diabetes and anemia..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Obviously he will have to talk to his rheumatologist. I will say that sometimes, certain medications take longer than others. I think I remember you talking about your husband before.

There are several different kinds of pills prescribed for patients with RA and usually the physician likes to start from the drug with the least amount/risky side effects. They will start with NSAIDS, then to DMARDS, and then Biologics, if I recall correctly.

They will also prescribe more than one kind at a time, and for some people, drugs such as DMARDS will do the trick, for others, they will not.

I am on a combination of Methotrexate and Humira. I feel much better than if I were taking nothing and my dr has lessened the amount of MTX I am taking. My side effects are not as bad, but I do not feel as well. I have also been more active as of late.

I don't know which is the problem. I can't change the activity so she may have to increase the amount of drug.

Have your husband schedule a follow up appointment if he has not already and he should let the dr know how little/much the medication has helped his symptoms over the last three months.

It took me 4 months to feel a very noticeable change in my symptoms with the Humira, which is a biologic.

I wish the both of you the best of luck with this.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
My husband suffers from severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and the pills he s on arent helping after three months treatment, Im looking into these biologics and wonder if they d be saft to have with diabetes and anemia..

Is he seeing a rheumatologist? Usually only a rheumatologist feels comfortable prescribing biologics. Yes, biologics can be taken with diabetes and anemia, they just have to be taken into consideration. I currently take Enbrel---a biologic---and also take Metformin, which helps control diabetes. Depending on how severe the anemia is, your dh might be prescribed Procrit, which stimulates bone marrow to produce more RBC.

If he's at the point of considering a biologic, he's in a severe state. Many people who progress to biiologics are not in the best of health otherwise, and that must be taken into consideration. I hate those Enbrel commercials that show people glowing with health----see, you can be like us if you take Enbrel! No, not quite. Concurrent conditions must also b considered.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Thank you both for two great answers and caring..

Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
You are certainly welcome, dizzybint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness