Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Any other ideas?
What's the point? Looks like you are just going to respond . . can't do that because (fill in blank). If YOU haven't found management techniques for your afflictions thus far, probably time to just accept your fate . . and post "pity party" solicitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Ask your library to get a copy of "Sit and Be Fit" - a series of exercises done while seated.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Try massaging your legs and arms while you are sitting up in bed or in a recliner. I think that can help circulation. Also just doing arm exercises while sitting will help your circulation. Stationary bike might be what you need also. I'm sorry for you to hear of your struggle.
Absolutely NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best way to dislodge a clot.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Ok I've had a problem with Blood Clots for years, have been on Blood Thinners. I was operated on few weeks ago, which turned serious but I pulled through, Surgeon said because of the seriousness of the operation and my age I'm looking at a year to heal. That I will be able to do very little, I can try but my Body will put me down.

I went back on my Blood Thinners and had my Blood checked, they found it was thick. They are leaving me on the same dosage wait and see if I adjust and check again in three weeks.

My problem is I have to walk some to keep from having Clots but I found I walk around 50 feet my Head is pounding and feel my Heart racing all over my Body if this makes sense. I'm thinking with the thicker Blood it is making my Heart work harder, bringing my Blood Pressure up.

I'm thinking just take it easy and heal, hope I can move enough to keep Blood Clots away. Any other ideas?

brushrunner
GO BACK TO YOUR HCP or ER or at least call!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it's lack of conditioning or no stamina, but this is not normal.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Absolutely NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best way to dislodge a clot.
Err-no -Massaging is no different to walking around. When you walk around the muscles contract and relax helping to push the blood in the veins back up toward the heart. It's also no different to wearing compression stockings.
What people should avoid is prolonged pressure on any one point on the calf or thigh muscles- ie resting legs on a stool where the edge cuts into the calf or thigh, and incorrectly worn stocking when the top is rolled down or their are olds around the ankles or knees.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Err-no -Massaging is no different to walking around. When you walk around the muscles contract and relax helping to push the blood in the veins back up toward the heart. It's also no different to wearing compression stockings.
What people should avoid is prolonged pressure on any one point on the calf or thigh muscles- ie resting legs on a stool where the edge cuts into the calf or thigh, and incorrectly worn stocking when the top is rolled down or their are olds around the ankles or knees.
Really.
The pressure involved while walking is substantially different from the pressure involved kneading calf muscles, particularly if there is a history or a risk of deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary emboli. Until those possibilities are ruled out, massage is contraindicated, hence my suggestion to contact the PCP or visit the ER. You have a wonderful day.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:29 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
the OP didn't describe symptoms of a current clot - only a history of clots, and now being in a high risk post-operative state with limited mobility he is obviously at particularly high risk.

being fatalistic about this, one could say "well, he's high risk - massaging muscles/veins could dislodge an undiagnosed thrombus, so he should lie perfectly still with no massage or exercise" - which would significantly increase his chance of ultimately developing a significant thrombus, with its subsequent potentially serious sequalae

or

one could take the approach that anything that can be done to minimise that risk would be a good thing, including a graded exercise programme (to include simple exercises while in bed or chair), compression stockings, gentle massage and appropriate medication...this is very different concept from vigorous massage of a hot, swollen calf muscle in someone at risk of DVT, which would clearly be inadvisable.

i know which i'd choose.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Ok I've had a problem with Blood Clots for years, have been on Blood Thinners. I was operated on few weeks ago, which turned serious but I pulled through, Surgeon said because of the seriousness of the operation and my age I'm looking at a year to heal. That I will be able to do very little, I can try but my Body will put me down.

I went back on my Blood Thinners and had my Blood checked, they found it was thick. They are leaving me on the same dosage wait and see if I adjust and check again in three weeks.

My problem is I have to walk some to keep from having Clots but I found I walk around 50 feet my Head is pounding and feel my Heart racing all over my Body if this makes sense. I'm thinking with the thicker Blood it is making my Heart work harder, bringing my Blood Pressure up.

I'm thinking just take it easy and heal, hope I can move enough to keep Blood Clots away. Any other ideas?

brushrunner

And you don't have sickle cell anemia?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
Ok new problem, I'm thinking my Blood is getting squared away, yes still have danger of Clots but thinking it is getting thinned down to where it should be.

My New problem is my Arthritis is getting much worse, Hands, Hips, Knees and Feet. Doctor had me on Diclofenac but it was messing up my Blood Work, she said the only other thing would be Steroids, tried them before with Bad results. All she can do is give me Pain Medication.

My problem is when I first started having trouble with Degenerative Bone Disease I started using a Wheelchair, my wife told me to get my butt out of it because I get dependent on it I will be tied to it the rest of my life. Have a friend less trouble than me and he started using a Wheelchair about this time and yes now he is tied to it.

Now with the New Arthritis problem I'm using a Cane and seriously looking at a Wheelchair. My question is when is it time to give up and go to the Wheelchair? I've really been trying to stay away for at least 10 years.

brushrunner

Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Try a 4-wheel walker with a seat.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness