Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times

Advertisements

Ok I've had a problem with Blood Clots for years, have been on Blood Thinners. I was operated on few weeks ago, which turned serious but I pulled through, Surgeon said because of the seriousness of the operation and my age I'm looking at a year to heal. That I will be able to do very little, I can try but my Body will put me down.

I went back on my Blood Thinners and had my Blood checked, they found it was thick. They are leaving me on the same dosage wait and see if I adjust and check again in three weeks.

My problem is I have to walk some to keep from having Clots but I found I walk around 50 feet my Head is pounding and feel my Heart racing all over my Body if this makes sense. I'm thinking with the thicker Blood it is making my Heart work harder, bringing my Blood Pressure up.

I'm thinking just take it easy and heal, hope I can move enough to keep Blood Clots away. Any other ideas?

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:41 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile How about some exercising?

That's is - when you're laying down - moving the legs up and down?

Sorry you are going through this.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
That's is - when you're laying down - moving the legs up and down?

Sorry you are going through this.
I can't have my Legs up at night because of Barrett's Esophagus. Plus I have Degenerative Bone Disease, upper and Lower Spine and I have Arthritis in Hands, Arms and Feet.

Yea life is all messed up for me.

brushrunner

Old 09-08-2013, 11:07 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Hey Brushrunner, sorry you are going through this.

Have you asked your doctor about seeing a physical therapist for a conditioning program, similar to cardiac rehab?

The fatigue you are experiencing is to be expected after the major medical event you had.

You could also check into using pulsatile pneumatic stockings at home. You probably wore them while you were in the hospital.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
there are exercises you can do even while lying flat in bed or sitting in a chair - similar to those which airlines advise on long journeys - you should be able to find these fairly easily online.

of course, following major surgery, you should indeed give your body enough time to rest, but these are small exercises, and may help keep your body (and mind) in a better place.

wishing you a speedy recovery.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
definitely ask about physical therapy.

tai chi is a slow type of exercise; many movements can even be done by those in a wheel chair.

hang in there, brushrunner

Old 09-09-2013, 02:54 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Try massaging your legs and arms while you are sitting up in bed or in a recliner. I think that can help circulation. Also just doing arm exercises while sitting will help your circulation. Stationary bike might be what you need also. I'm sorry for you to hear of your struggle.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok I've had a problem with Blood Clots for years, have been on Blood Thinners. I was operated on few weeks ago, which turned serious but I pulled through, Surgeon said because of the seriousness of the operation and my age I'm looking at a year to heal. That I will be able to do very little, I can try but my Body will put me down.

I went back on my Blood Thinners and had my Blood checked, they found it was thick. They are leaving me on the same dosage wait and see if I adjust and check again in three weeks.

My problem is I have to walk some to keep from having Clots but I found I walk around 50 feet my Head is pounding and feel my Heart racing all over my Body if this makes sense. I'm thinking with the thicker Blood it is making my Heart work harder, bringing my Blood Pressure up.

I'm thinking just take it easy and heal, hope I can move enough to keep Blood Clots away. Any other ideas?

brushrunner
I am so sorry and I can identify because hubby has DVT as well, though maybe not as bad as yours. He will probably go off the blood thinners next week for a month so he can have a hernia operation. We are still not sure.

As for moving, here is just one idea and I don't know if it is available to you. We have a nearby rec center with an indoor pool. We water walk three times a week. It is an excellent form of exercise and yet, is very easy. That would help you some. The other thing, and you probably already know this, even if you can't walk far, keep your legs moving as much as possible.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
definitely ask about physical therapy.

hang in there, brushrunner

Done this before and I can't afford it.

brushrunner

Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post

brushrunner
Have you told your doctor about this?

It may be that this is just a sign of the point of entering 'training effect' and that rather than shying away from it, it's important to walk to that point consistently and eventually you'll be strong enough to walk farther.

I think I remember that weight-bearing activity is one of the best things to do to prevent clots from forming.

If you could allot monies for just one Physical Therapy appointment, the therapist could explain this stuff and give you guidelines. I think sometimes the PTs know more than the doctors. . .

I have problems with my lumbar discs and spinal stenosis and a similar thing happens; I can walk for only about 10 minutes before it gets very painful. But my instructions are to continue to walk as far as I can tolerate it, because over all, it's better to build up strength in the muscles and tendons surrounding the problem area.

I try to think of it as "the good pain" but sometimes are better than others, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness