Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM

84 posts, read 123,936 times

Advertisements

Ahoy ahoy;

I was wondering if anyone on here has dealt with low testosterone. I am 19 and throughout my teen years I have always felt like something was missing. Supposedly men are uber energetic and full of life which I have never experienced. When I was 18 I decided to get some tests done and my doctor told me I am on the cusp of a testosterone disorder (just above the level that would qualify for it), though it is still extremely low. I had considered taking some form of testosterone supplement or treatment but my doctor was on the fence with it so I passed it over.

I am now seriously reconsidering it. For a while I thought maybe over time my testosterone would increase and I'd be on track but I don't think it'll happen without a jump-start. I want my sex drive to be increased, I want to have energy to help me live life and I think the boost will help me get fit.

Anyone here have any advice on the matter? Anyone have any experience with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 AM

744 posts, read 1,092,114 times
Has your doctor confirmed that you are indeed deficient in testosterone?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 AM

84 posts, read 123,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Has your doctor confirmed that you are indeed deficient in testosterone?
Yes

Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
My husband has low testosterone (apparently genetic, his dad had it, too). His doctor did two tests, about two-three weeks apart, and both came back on the low side. As a result, I give him testosterone injections every three weeks. He could have used the gel, but preferred the injection.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM

9 posts, read 20,845 times
Ok, Dude....first a few questions. What is your height/weight/build type? I see that you're from Canada, but now live in Georgia, right? How long have you been in Georgia. What is your diet like? What is your physical activity level? My first thought is that you may be vitamin D deficient. D is a needed precursor to make testosterone. Next time you are at the doctor have him run a vitamin D serum test. A normal level is in the ballpark of 50ng/ml You are in Georgia, in the summer...GET OUT IN THE SUN!!!! Just you in shorts, no shirt, no socks/shoes, no sunscreen. Work your way up until you can do at least 30 minutes a day without getting burnt.

As far as general diet advice for now, eat NATURAL and simple. Get back to human basics. Vegetables/fruit/nuts/seeds/fish (especially alaskan salmon)/ organic chicken and their eggs and grassfed beef. Cut out anything that can be classified as convenience or junk food.

Last edited by spfldsteve; 07-14-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
CBS Evening News just did a story about men over 60 yrs of age having a 25% more incidence of cardiovascular events (stroke, heart attack) when also on testosterone gel. Cardiology experts say the potential side effects of the gel haven't been studied enough. Makes one wonder if it's really worth taking with the increased risks. Couldn't find the video of the story.

Testosterone treatments may increase risk of heart problems in men: study - NY Daily News

Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
CBS Evening News just did a story about men over 60 yrs of age having a 25% more incidence of cardiovascular events (stroke, heart attack) when also on testosterone gel. Cardiology experts say the potential side effects of the gel haven't been studied enough. Makes one wonder if it's really worth taking with the increased risks. Couldn't find the video of the story.

Testosterone treatments may increase risk of heart problems in men: study - NY Daily News
What about the shot?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
wouldn't think gel versus injectable form would make a difference -

Testosterone therapy increases risk of heart attack, stroke or death by 29 percent, study says - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness