U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 AM

33 posts, read 46,854 times

Advertisements

my suscipion is that something's not quite right with brew coffee. in my case, i suspect that it can cause GI issues such as mild case of GERD.

but the thing is i only recently switched to brew coffee and noticed these GI related problems. and before that, i been using instant coffee for years with no problem.

the only reason i switched was because my usual instant coffee brand quality assurance went downhill big time. it gave off this chemical taste which i can only suspect to be pesticide and the like. and i found this hong kong brand that was ok but no where as strong as the rush of my previous usual, pales in contrast.

anyone else had issue with brew but fine with instant? looking for some answers here. give it a shot if you got a theory. more credible if you can reference a science article/research that sheds light on this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,842,434 times
The caffeine content of brewed coffee may be 4 to 8 times stronger than instant...

Caffeine content for coffee, tea, soda and more - MayoClinic.com

...and increased caffeine is a terrible trigger for GERD.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 AM

15,963 posts, read 33,747,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The caffeine content of brewed coffee may be 4 to 8 times stronger than instant...

I agree, strong caffeine is terrible for any kind of digestive issues. I don't have GERD but I do have a sensitive stomach and cannot take strong caffeine or strong acidic coffee. I brew coffee, but mix a low acid caff with decaf. Half the week I drink green tea, no acid and low caffeine.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,756,693 times
Only time I get heartburn from coffee is if I add too much sugar into one cup. I find it weird that if I have a regular sized cup of coffee and put more than 1 teaspoon of sugar in it, I get heartburn. However, I can have 3 cups of coffee in the morning with 1 teaspoon of sugar each with no problems.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 AM

41,388 posts, read 52,781,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

Also brewed coffee is higher in acids too, another possible GERD problem.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 AM

33 posts, read 46,854 times
ok as i'm writing this post, i on a new organic instant. and this is one of few i came across in a recent search. and this new instant is a lot closer to my old usual minus the pesticide contamination that i encountered.

i don't get the science of it all either. dunno if any answers would come from this source. but what i experienced from instant was a working blend of three elements i judge coffee: non-discomforting headache, heaviness on the mind, and euphoria. now the instant i'm on has an acceptable level on all three areas.

but all the damn brews i tried never have any acceptable levels of any of those. from experience, some made me sleepy, some caused confusion.

and instant not always good, i tried some that caused confusion also. i don't get why exactly they do that but they do....

why instant is so different from brew, for me at least, i dunno? is it possible i have a unique/different physiology/metabolism from other people, i dunno?

science don't always hold answers, still a lot of sheet out there science don't comprehend.

all i know is i feel more euphoria and more cognition and that's a good thing. i'll settle for the whys later. if answers don't come from this source ,then maybe some other source some later time in the future.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 AM

4,251 posts, read 4,245,894 times
Try cold brewing your coffee it definitely helps for GERD suffers. It significantly reduces acidity and harshness of coffee compared to a hot brew, you'll notice a difference immediately. Much better imo than highly processed food item like instant coffee. If you want it warm just make a concentrated cold brew and add hot water. The concentrate can be saved for a good while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness