Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:25 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,410,205 times

Advertisements

Quite simply- a MD in the UK would NEVER speak to a patient like that. The may sometimes be a little off hand or seem like they're preoccupied or not very interested, but that's about it. If they did then
I used to think the MDs in the UK were bad-but that was before I came to live in the US.
I'm still bemused as to why healthcare is so expensive when it's at best the same as in Europe and at worst nowhere near as good.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,144,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
My wife has been having bouts of postnasal drip for prolonged periods of time, lasting several hours and going on every single day. This has been occurring for about six months, and it's only getting worse. She coughs up copious amounts of sputum with no relief, despite taking many over-the-counter medicines.

Tonight it was so bad that we decided that she should go to the emergency room. She felt that her throat was closing up. We went to the hospital at 3:30 in the morning. She was constantly gagging and clearing her throat. When the doctor came, he just opened the drapes and barged in while my wife was still getting dressed into a hospital gown. He reprimanded her, "Could you stop that! That's disgusting!" Our jaws dropped. My wife said, "I can't stop it! That's why I'm here!" He said, "So do you want me to treat you?" My wife said, "Are you going to apologize?" He said, "No I'm not!" and walked out.

I and my brother-in-law, who accompanied us, told the doctor how unprofessional and uncompassionate he was. My wife was in tears. He called security to have us removed. I've never, in my life, seen a doctor treat a patient this way.

My wife and I are over 50, and this behavior by a doctor is apalling. My wife's blood pressure was elevated from the medications she's been taking. Also, she could have been in anaphylactic shock, because her throat was closing up. Fortunately, by the time we got home, the medications she took began to ameliorate the symptoms. My wife is having self-esteem issues from this. Has anyone had any experience like this? What do you think we should do?

'
A couple of things that seems off-

1- To go to an ER at 3:30 a.m. for postnasal drip that has been going on for six months...
2- That her first words when the doc walks in are to ask for an apology because he didn't announce his presence, although she was in such a state of distress with her throat "closing up"...
3- That security was called to remove you all.
4- That the medication she had taken had ameliorated her symptoms by the time you got home...

If she thought her throat was closing up, why would she care when the doc "barged in"? You made it sound like she was about to die with her throat all closing up... Then she calls the doc out for barging in?! Sorry, but sounds like an abuse of the ER to me. Maybe it took him away from treating gun shots and heart attacks. Why wouldn't she have gone to her own doctor in six months? (edited to add- another post of yours says it has been going on for a year.)

I think she should see her primary care doc and a mental health counselor.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 09-17-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
How does Op expect anyone to decide getting only one side in reality. if exactly has told he was rude But something just don't add up really as stated by others.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,189,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post

1- To go to an ER at 3:30 a.m. for postnasal drip that has been going on for six months...
2- That her first words when the doc walks in are to ask for an apology because he didn't announce his presence, although she was in such a state of distress with her throat "closing up"...
4- That the medication she had taken had ameliorated her symptoms by the time you got home...

If she thought her throat was closing up, why would she care when the doc "barged in"? You made it sound like she was about to die with her throat all closing up... Then she calls the doc out for barging in?! Sorry, but sounds like an abuse of the ER to me. Maybe it took him away from treating gun shots and heart attacks. Why wouldn't she have gone to her own doctor in six months? (edited to add- another post of yours says it has been going on for a year.)

1. Depending where you live, we moved a year ago and there are doctors who will accept new patients
and you could wait over 4 months for an initial visit.
2. I've seen 5 general practitioners, 4 which gave me incorrect doses of medications, didn't answer my
questions but finally the 5th one was great.
3. Had terrible bed side manners, which I can deal with except their expertise of care was incorrect
and I know this for a fact because I contacted my physician from my previous city.
4. When the doctor's office is closed - you get a recording which specifically tells you to go to the ER
if you are experiencing difficulty with your health.
5. Patients have a right to be treated with dignity and respect (unless they are insulting or hostile to
the doctor).
6. The OP was in distress, and yes if there are more traumatic cases as heart attacks, serious injuries
from a car accident or gun shots, of course those are a priority but isn't that decision made buy
the admitting nurse.
7. Even though we don't know the entire story, that doctor was way out of line and probably should
set up a practice of concierge medicine where he can pick and chose people who don't disgust him.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,543,662 times
First, I would ask if you are sure it was a doctor.
Second, I was say that post nasal drip is not an emergency. If she had been dealing with it for as long as you say she should have made a doctor's appointment the next day, or maybe urgent care. Going to the ER for a simple cold is part of what drives up the cost of healthcare. I'm going to guess your wife was evaluated by a nurse at check-in, and the issue was not determined an emergency (Ex heart attack, broken bone, gun shot...). Maybe the hospital was busy with true emergencies, and the person just snapped.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,614,415 times
Since I wasn't there, I can't speak to the OP's situation, but, it doesn't surprise me based on my experience with doctors and staff. Moderator cut: racist. I urge anyone experiencing this behavior to use online forms to file complaints or we will have to continue to live with their behavior.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-17-2013 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,410,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post

1-Whether this was an emergency or not is irrelevant.No professional health care worker should speak to a patient like that
2-She didn't ask for an apology because he barged in-(which was wrong anyway- patients dignity should always be paramount-all he had to do was ask I he could come in!)-it was because he said "stop that ,it's disgusting"

I think you need to stop being so disrespectful and making judgements like "I think she should see........and a mental health counselor"

Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,126,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
My wife has been having bouts of postnasal drip for prolonged periods of time, lasting several hours and going on every single day. This has been occurring for about six months, and it's only getting worse. She coughs up copious amounts of sputum with no relief, despite taking many over-the-counter medicines.

Tonight it was so bad that we decided that she should go to the emergency room. She felt that her throat was closing up. We went to the hospital at 3:30 in the morning. She was constantly gagging and clearing her throat. When the doctor came, he just opened the drapes and barged in while my wife was still getting dressed into a hospital gown. He reprimanded her, "Could you stop that! That's disgusting!" Our jaws dropped. My wife said, "I can't stop it! That's why I'm here!" He said, "So do you want me to treat you?" My wife said, "Are you going to apologize?" He said, "No I'm not!" and walked out.

I and my brother-in-law, who accompanied us, told the doctor how unprofessional and uncompassionate he was. My wife was in tears. He called security to have us removed. I've never, in my life, seen a doctor treat a patient this way.

My wife and I are over 50, and this behavior by a doctor is apalling. My wife's blood pressure was elevated from the medications she's been taking. Also, she could have been in anaphylactic shock, because her throat was closing up. Fortunately, by the time we got home, the medications she took began to ameliorate the symptoms. My wife is having self-esteem issues from this. Has anyone had any experience like this? What do you think we should do?

'
I was listening to many benefits of ginger. (there is ginger tea for sale and ginger raw products also in the area where they sell lettuce and other vegetables.)

One of the benefits they said it helps to remove mucus from throat and lungs...

Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,189,577 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

It can be both since I've experienced both. It may be that "god complex" some doctors have.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-17-2013 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 PM

22,579 posts, read 24,400,027 times
MEH, 3:30 in the morning......I'd be p*****-off, cranky and rude too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness