Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:30 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times

Advertisements

No Kudzu~

I know that you have been fighting for your sight for such a long time. I also know the pain of straining to see and having the worst headaches because I was so very afraid of the coming darkness.

If you haven't already been in contact with the NLB ( National Library for the Blind and Handicapped) you should do so. It does take some getting used to going from the written word to the spoken word, but it has saved me from so many long, long hours without books. The books are now digital and can be downloaded instantly from the library site. You can have a machine for your nightstand or you can download the app for iOS or android.

Have you played around with the screen reader that most tablets or computers have under their accessibility functions; this allows me to function online and helps to keep me connected to the outside world.

There are so many things that can make our lives easier and that can help you to save your precious remaining sight. I am totally blind and the difference between what was available when I started losing my sight in 1995 and what is now available is simply amazing. Nothing can ever make up for the loss of vision, but there are things that can make things easier.

Regards,

Melaniej65
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:33 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Strange to see this thread more than 3 years after I started it. Guess I'm going close to 8 years now getting injections in my eyeballs every 4-6 weeks.
My eyes burn and itch all the time and the floaters are terrible...that or I have the busiest flies in the world hanging around my head.

I really have to limit my computer time. Eyes get really painful and vision is shot. Haven't driven in almost 3 years as I just don't feel safe. I hate the lack of independence!

But I can still see and my Kindle means I can read. I can't see anything smaller than size 18 font which means no large print books. If kindle doesn't increase its font size soon I'm up the creek.

My doctor tells me I will more than likely receive shots for the rest of my life. I'm 70 now. Each visit is between $5-$6k depending on which drug they use. Medicare and BCBS Federal are my lifeline. I'm more fortunate than most.
It sounds terrible. I should never complain about the negative outcome of my cataract surgery again--at least I can still see during the day with glasses. My cousins's friend with Macular Degeneration is in his early 80s now and will have to stop driving, which will be a distinct hardship since his wife is 100% dependent on him. And he lives very close to Boston where those stem cell studies are being done. I guess he must know about them but maybe he doesn't qualify.

He's had the shots for quite a few years and they have somewhat delayed it from getting worse.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:55 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Implantable telescopes may be available soon.

Implantable Telescope - Macula Vision Research Foundation

Old 03-28-2017, 02:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
so scary

Doctors say Florida stem cell clinic left 3 women blind - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness