Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 04:21 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
How are you doing??? Thinking of you
Thank you for thinking of me.

As to how I am doing...not quite sure. I am home with a sore neck and a big bandage waiting for my daughter to come back from CVS with the pain meds. Couldn't sleep anymore so what else...I go on City-Data.

They did not do the thyroidectomy. They opened up my neck and instead of finding the expected multinodular goiter that they were going to remove, they found a mass of cement-like-hardness fibrous tissue all around the thyroid, the carotid artery and encasing my trachea, which is causing the breathing problem. They thought this was all part of the thyroid nodule, but it's something else. What, exactly, is the question. They cut out seven pieces of it to send to a lab. It is either some form of cancer or it is a rare disease called Reidel's Thyroiditis. If it's cancer, it will be treated with radiation and chemo. If it's Reidel's, it will be treated with steriods to shrink it down.

I am apparently the weird case of the week at this hospital. I will find out in four or five days what this is and we'll proceed from there. Meanwhile, I have a very sore neck but really just a small incision in the front.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for caring, my fellow Jerseyite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Bummer, MQ!

We'll all be hoping for Reidel's then.

Suzy Q

Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Hope at least you can breathe better? Sorry you are "that" case.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I'm hoping you get good news, Mightyqueen!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you for thinking of me.

As to how I am doing...not quite sure. I am home with a sore neck and a big bandage waiting for my daughter to come back from CVS with the pain meds. Couldn't sleep anymore so what else...I go on City-Data.

They did not do the thyroidectomy. They opened up my neck and instead of finding the expected multinodular goiter that they were going to remove, they found a mass of cement-like-hardness fibrous tissue all around the thyroid, the carotid artery and encasing my trachea, which is causing the breathing problem. They thought this was all part of the thyroid nodule, but it's something else. What, exactly, is the question. They cut out seven pieces of it to send to a lab. It is either some form of cancer or it is a rare disease called Reidel's Thyroiditis. If it's cancer, it will be treated with radiation and chemo. If it's Reidel's, it will be treated with steriods to shrink it down.

I am apparently the weird case of the week at this hospital. I will find out in four or five days what this is and we'll proceed from there. Meanwhile, I have a very sore neck but really just a small incision in the front.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for caring, my fellow Jerseyite!
SO glad to hear from you!!! Been praying for all to be well

Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Were they able to remove enough of it that you can breathe easy now, at least? It can't be comfortable, that's for sure. My lump was just a big benign (non-cancerous) tumor, around the size of a robin's egg, which I could feel when I touched my throat and could see in the mirror. It hadn't attached to anything except part of the thyroid, so they took those nodes out and left me with around half my thyroid intact and functioning normally. I was lucky in that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the thyroid itself, other than this -thing- suctioned to it like an octopus's tentacle

I hope that whichever your situation turns out to be, the treatment is tolerable, fast, and successful.

On the upside - if it were me, I'd think it was the absolute coolest thing that I had the weird case of the week at the hospital. Believe it or not, being "that patient" often ends up being a good thing, because you get the most medical attention.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Geez! What a story!! Both of them. Please keep us posted as to your condition. Sending good thoughts your way ...

Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Hoping all is well and that you get good news, as good as news can be with what you've been through.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:50 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
It sounds like you still have unanswered questions. That stinks.

Hopefully you can breathe better and take those pain meds. If nothing else, you can sleep.

Please keep us posted when you get your results. I'll be praying for the best outcome for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness