Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Congress Takes New Whacks at Big Tobacco by Seeking Significant Tax Increase on Cigarettes.

Congress is taking new whacks at the cigarette industry, banning tobacco sales in Senate buildings and more importantly seeking a significant federal tax increase on cigarettes.

The industry, once a lobbying behemoth, is quietly working against the tax bill. But it lacks the clout it once wielded.

ABC News: Federal Tax Would Target Smokers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:49 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Now if we can only get it by Bush, wonder why he is opposed to combatting nicotine addiction, I wonder how much his veto is really worth.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 PM

436 posts, read 809,244 times
Do you honestly think that the tobacco lobby will allow such a thing to happen?

between their money, and the democrats willingness to take their money, it won't happen

Old 11-10-2007, 03:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I was thinking that too... I was thinking that they "made" it public so that the tobacco industry would line their pockets again... corruption as its finest. If you really wanted to raise taxes would you tell them before you raised them... lol...

Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Bush does anything he wants; he doesn't care about the Americans. but he does the tobacco lobby. Not that I know what I am talking about. LOL.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,638 times
I am with you!! I hate tobacco, send them to Europe. Make them take all the tobacco to Europe and not sell another cigarette in the USA. We good Americans just don't need any form of money gained from tobacco sales.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I can't stand to breath in smoke, won't tolerate being around smokers but I support their right to smoke, if thats what they want to do with their bodies, its their body.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:15 PM

436 posts, read 809,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Bush does anything he wants; he doesn't care about the Americans. but he does the tobacco lobby. Not that I know what I am talking about. LOL.
That's strange- I always thought this was a democratic society, not a dictatorship. Unless mistaken, he is subject to the congress, except for presidential privelege in time of war, just llike every other president before him.

If you want to talk about abuses, look at the democratic congress.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
That's strange- I always thought this was a democratic society, not a dictatorship. Unless mistaken, he is subject to the congress, except for presidential privelege in time of war, just llike every other president before him.

We live in a representative democracy because our forefathers realized most people are too stupid to make their own decisions. The people don't make the decisions; we only elect people who make decisions for us. The majority of people can be, and often are, wrong.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
eddiek wrote:
Very true! However, I would expand your statement to read: If you want to talk about abuses, look at the congress.

Or better yet, how about: If you want to talk about abuses, look at the US Government.

Or better still, how about: If you want to talk about abuses, look at Corporate America, employers of the US Government.

blessings....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness